Nail Geek needs advice with first leg wax and first spray tan!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
This is a two parter, so bare with me!

Firstly, leg waxing! I had my first ever waxing done last week, which were my eyebrows and I loved it! It's made me want to consider having my very first leg wax, but I won't lie, I'm scared! It's the pain element.

Do you have any advice to make the experience a relatively nice one? I keep reading about warm wax, hot wax etc etc and I obviously have no idea about waxing. What should I ask for? How can I reduce the pain? How long will it last before I get hairs trying to get through? (I'm planning a proper holiday).

The second part is spray tanning. I've read the threads about clients not exfoliating properly, arriving with deoderant and make up on etc. All this having an effect. I know about waxing 24 hours before, so would make sure I planned it properly.

What I would like to know is, what would be the ideal situation? Client showers the night before, then has the tan when they get up in the morning without a shower first? :eek:

I read on that tan in a van site that skin tans better on a slightly acidic skin, so no shower before hand. I can only think that having a tan first thing in the morning on a day off from work would be the answer.

Any thoughts?

Wax - well if anyone uses hot wax on your legs they have more money than sense :) The norm is to use some sort of warm (or strip) wax on large areas. Hot wax or non-strip is usually used on your terminal hairs (so the thick coarse ones)
If you're scared then go on recommendation - if you're anywhere near me I'd be more than happy to sort something out :) If you specifically want smooth legs for a holiday then I'd start 6-8 weeks before going - I could bore you with hair cycles but 2 or 3 waxes before you go would be better as your hairs have 3 growth stages... regular waxing would "align" them a little better and ensuring a longer smoothness... but worst case I'd expect 2 weeks of smoothness if you didn't do that... unless you have REALLY quick regrowth!

Tanning - I don't think it'll make a world of difference about the shower... the important thing is to use the right shower gels (or rather not the wrong ones! avoid anything with oil!) - I couldn't get up in the morning and not have a shower, I tend to have a shower first thing, have my tan whenever I can during the day (afternoon if possible) then shower just before I go to bed - some of my clients prefer it early evening and they have had a shower not long before to get all traces of deodorant etc off - so long as you are dry when sprayed... they then sleep in the tan overnight and shower in the morning :)

Oh and you can take some painkillers an hour or so before your wax which definitely can help :)

Thanks Tinxy. My holiday would be in about four weeks and I would need to allow for booking in for the wax, so looks like my timimg is well out for properly smooth legs. I have noticed I have prickles as well as the longer ones that I have been growing incase I have it done. Is this what you mean by the different growth cycles? There's no point in having it done for my holiday if the prickles wont be removed.

Thanks again! Could you suggest a shower gel that doesn't contain oil? I use Molton Brown and I'm sure that contains oil. :)

Hi ya :)

Well you might be alright for the waxing - yes the "little ones" are in an early growth cycle... if you had them done now you'd find some would peep through fairly quickly, but have them done again just before you go away and you'd probably be ok hun :)

as for showergel and lotions - nothing with alcohol or oil... although this is an "do as I say not as I do..." because guess who lathers on whatever samples I have about ;) possibly I'm NOT the best to ask here ROTFL

Do a quick search on here though and some threads should pop up ;)

Thank you Tinxy, you've been really helpful. :hug:

I did wonder whether respecting being a different type of Geek and going through the Consumer forum was falling on deaf ears!

So I need to grow a pair and get it done now and then again before I go. :)

I recommend radox & simple shower gels for before & after tan and to shower 1-3hrs before tan and also a good oil free moisturiser is a must xx

What a coincidence that this thread has regained life, as I had my first leg wax last night. It did hurt, but it was worth it and I will continue with it.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get my tan sorted though. :|

I'd seen ure blog dolly, I didn't know what thread but found this one and thought I could chip in lol aw whats happened with the tan? xx

What a coincidence that this thread has regained life, as I had my first leg wax last night. It did hurt, but it was worth it and I will continue with it.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get my tan sorted though. :|

Latest posts

Back