Nail Hardners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindag

Reaction score
Do Nail hardeners really work and which ones do you use.

I have taken my enhancements off and want to grow my own nails for awhile but they are so soft. I am using CND Toughten up - but do these products really work

lindag said:
Do Nail hardeners really work and which ones do you use.

I have taken my enhancements off and want to grow my own nails for awhile but they are so soft. I am using CND Toughten up - but do these products really work

One of my client has used this and found it to be v good - she has stopped using it now though as her nails are stronger...

Linda if you have a look in the articles and find the Tech Notes - there is one which Doug Schoon wrote which explains the difference between strengtheners.

A lot of hardeners/strengtheners are formaledhyde based which is a very good nail hardener if used correctly. It works by dehydrating the nail thus making it harder but with over use it will make the nails brittle so they should only be used in conjunction with a good grade cuticle oil and their use discontinued when the nails return to their optimum strength.

They can then be used as and when needed for a top up.

HTH.

Nail strengtheners crete more cross links within the natural nail plate either through Formaldehyde or DMU. The natural nail plate is more rigid than than hair simply because the natural nail plate contains more cross links. Therefore adding even more makes it more rigid. This can be excellent for thin, flimsy nails but remember that more cross links= less room for oil and moisture and hence can dehydrate the nails. The other downside is that when overused, the nails can become too strong (more strength=less flexability). The stronger something is, the less it can withstand the force of impact so therefore... you can start breaking nails easier ;)

They are gret to restore some balance to the nail, but just dont overuse them.

Hope this helps and makes sense ;)

what is the best way to use toughen up then, how often should I apply if if I use solar oil 2 times a day

lindag said:
what is the best way to use toughen up then, how often should I apply if if I use solar oil 2 times a day
I apply 1 coat of Toughen Up; 2 coats of polish; 1 coat of Super Shiney.......if they don't want a colour then - 2 coats of TU and 1 coat of SS. I then recommend they apply TU once every 2/3 days over the existing then remove everything after 7-10 days, and start the procedure again.

This seems to work well and I and my client's (when used regularly!) have found it to be a very good product.

Good luck
Adele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back