Nail health issue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helloyall1234

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope you’re well!

My husband has been having issues with his nails for a while and I was hoping you might know what the issue could be.

We already asked the dermatologist, she sent it to the lab and it came back negative for fungal infections.

His nails detach from the nail bed as if they were bruised, it grows out sometimes as we keep them as short as possible but it comes back. Same thing with the toe nails.

Not all nails are affected, sometimes one will grow out perfectly and is fine for a while and then detaches again.

Not sure if this is relevant but he has a big scab on his head, so I was wondering if it could possibly be psoriasis (no diagnosis)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, we have another dermatologist appointment lined up.

Attachments

• EE3D7C7B-614C-49E7-B416-8CE435264BC5.jpeg
    EE3D7C7B-614C-49E7-B416-8CE435264BC5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I would agree that it could be psoriatic nails. I am very familiar with the condition and there would normally be pitting in the nail that accompanies the condition. My husbands nails are painful if he washes up in detergent. ( Well that's his excuse for not washing up anyway!)
The scab is best left to the dermatologist, but often there would be other lesions, flaky red plaques and general reddish patches if it was psoriasis. Hopefully all will be diagnosed when you get to see the professional.

One thing to note is that a relative of mine developed psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis a couple of weeks after his Covid 19 jab.
Does your husband have any joint pain that is also unaccounted for?

Keep us informed and I wish you all the best.

I would agree that it could be psoriatic nails. I am very familiar with the condition and there would normally be pitting in the nail that accompanies the condition. My husbands nails are painful if he washes up in detergent. ( Well that's his excuse for not washing up anyway!)
The scab is best left to the dermatologist, but often there would be other lesions, flaky red plaques and general reddish patches if it was psoriasis. Hopefully all will be diagnosed when you get to see the professional.

One thing to note is that a relative of mine developed psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis a couple of weeks after his Covid 19 jab.
Does your husband have any joint pain that is also unaccounted for?

Keep us informed and I wish you all the best.
Thanks so much for your thorough response!

Sorry to hear about your husband’s struggles and your increased washing up responsibilities because of it.

I don’t think he has any joint pains, but I‘ll ask and he‘ll definitely let the doctor know.

Thank you again, best wishes!

If it hasn’t already done - GP to do a full blood panel (biochem and haematology) to check his various levels of the major minerals etc - certain deficiencies can directly affect keratinous structures, energy and overall metabolic effects. Iron deficiency is a common one. Coeliac disease (believe me he’d probably know if gluten hated him!) and malabsorption syndrome can also cause loss of hair and weak, splitting or malformed nails. The derm would probably order this too but they usually prefer the GP to do this sort of pathology order - more their kettle of fish in terms of interpretting results. I’m an ex-derm nurse, work with GPs and in hospitals now (more fun!)

Hi Vaveleien,

Just so that you know ,the OP has not been on the site since Nov 2022. You may not get a reply back any time soon.;)

Latest posts

Back