Nail help! What is this??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepymcninja

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been doing my mum's nails since I started learning around 6 months ago, shellac only then one set of L&P sculptures, however recently, in the past few months this has been happening to her nails. It's like the nail's detaching from the nail bed? Does anyone know why this is happening? How can I help it? Many thanks!!

Last edited:
Ahh my pictures keep failing to upload!

The term you are looking for is Onycholysis.

This is a fairly common nail disorder. You should really invest in some good text books and learn the diseases and disorders of the nail.

Doug Schoon's nail scructure and product chemistry is a great one to get you started.

I'm saving up for that one! Started with gigi's nail class first :) Is it harmful? Am I still able to do her nails? Thanks Angel xx

If the separation is very bad, it can lead to problems, as that area will make the perfect breeding ground for bacteria to grow.

Does she have psoriasis or perhaps her nails are too long for her lifestyle and constant trauma would cause the lifting.

There are a number of reasons why someone would experience onycholyis...

I'd like to get to the bottom of WHY she has onycholysis first!

It could also be Tinea Unigium, best to get her to pop to her doctors or chemist to rule out anything that's required medication to treat :) x

I think it's because she wanted long nails (as I've just started learning L&P) and the gutted the house top to bottom for a spring clean!! So they took a beating then! Trauma it is!! Thanks for your help :) xx

I think it's because she wanted long nails (as I've just started learning L&P) and the gutted the house top to bottom for a spring clean!! So they took a beating then! Trauma it is!! Thanks for your help :) xx

I'd say it's more than likely trauma, as her nails were fine before you applied the enhancements.

Make sure you keep them short and have her apply solar oil twice a day every day... this does wonders and hopefully the nails will re attach in a few weeks.

She is under strict instructions not to go pulling out any staples or tacks from walls as she's a teacher and just about to go back to work! I've told her she needs to look after her nails now since she's my walking advertisement! Thanks for your help Angel :) much appreciated xx

Latest posts

Back