nail industry standards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
Ok sorry guy's but im on my soap box (and p.m.t) :mad:

last year Babtac decided they would not accept my alessandro qualification for manicure/pedicure.... after help from this board i contacted professional beauty direct whom said they were happy to accept this. as i had already paid babtac and tried to get my money back they finally apologised and said it was a misunderstanding by a member of staff and i could have insurance with them , i am now an associate member for this year. I am also a member of ant, ina and the guild.

Now i decided that i should maybe enhance my foundation at manicure and pedicure and found a course advertised in the back of ALL the trade mags. i rang them and asked questions was assured they were recognised by babtac/guild etc., got there prospectus and was told i could do the home study version instead of travelling to essex school - perfect i thought i got the course after two weeks (despite being told 4 days) and i was quite amazed the sections i felt let down on in my previous training were hand/foot massage and nail disorders. however the course comprised of one folder and the section for nail disorers/diseaese were badly photocopied from a book, the text were unreadable and running off the pages. the massage section consisted of one page of written instructions very very basic... i telephoned after three days of recieving the course and was told i need to buy books if i wanted to know more!! now my point is that i could have been a complete novice. however i decided after showing mum, hubby and we all agreed for £195.00 this was pretty applauling. so i emailed the school to say i would be returning the course unused via recorded delivery and couild i have a refund. a very snotty reply was recieved and i contacted a very upstanding member of this board and in the nail industry (i wont name her as she may well not want to be involved which is fair enough) she advised me to contact the school again and say i was excercising my rights to return the course and i would contact babtac etc., the reply i got again was to say fine contact whom ever i wish as the course was already approved!!!
i then contacted babtac who said they were investigating the school! but since , despite 4 emails to them, have heard nothing .i have also contacted a couple of trade mags and professional beauty (who incidently just said contact their underwriters!!!!!)
i did email the school at begining of jan and said i would be getting a small courts claim form and the reply i got was that i was blackmailing them!!!
now im sorry but arn't all the nails and beauty industry and trade mags always going on about sub standard technician's. yet courses like these can be wheeleded about (dont think thats a word but im in the 'zone' now) anyway i have now resigned my self to the fact that £195.00 has gone down the drain (Creative l &P course is gonna have to wait!!!) but surely im not the only one tat thinks this is 0ut of order.. sorry for long post

however the course comprised of one folder and the section for nail disorers/diseaese were badly photocopied from a book, the text were unreadable and running off the pages. the massage section consisted of one page of written instructions very very basic... i telephoned after three days of recieving the course and was told i need to buy books if i wanted to know more!!
Well love this sounds horrible, the sort of training school that gives our industry a bad name...........
The learning kit is not up to standard...............

the reply i got again was to say fine contact whom ever i wish as the course was already approved!!! [/qoute]
This is reply is so unprofessional, even though they are approved, this can be taken away just as quickly as it is given..............
Trading standards office will be the ones to guide you here best...........
When you paid for your course you and the un-named school entered a contract.................
They didn't fully fullfill this, as the quality is in question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I buy a bed and the legs drop of due to poor workman ship, I can request a refund.....................
No matter what you buy wether it is solid goods or learning skill, ther has to be a reasonable standard.........and this is not of reasonable standard.......
So good luck and get letter writing, recorded delivery, as phone calls get lost and no one will admit talking to you............
This way they can't plead ignorance to your complaint !!!!!!!!!!

Hi

It was interesting to read about your problems with this school Jen and I am really sorry you are having such a problem with them :mad: I recognise the school in question coz I had sent off for a prospectus too so I could update my mani/pedi skills in prep for opening my salon later this year. Lucky for me I had contacted 2 other schools too, and coz I was travelling rather than doing a home learn course I chose an alternative one which is closer to home. Now I am not saying that the courses held at the Essex training centre are not any good coz I opted not to try them but I feel relieved at my choice after reading your post. The school I have chosen is recognised by The Guild (I checked this coz I have my insurance through my membership with them) and is also recommended by two of my local wholesalers.

I hope you manage to get your refund Jen, and I would definitely follow Ruth's advice and go to Trading Standards (I used this method for a totally non-nail related item last year and got my money back :) ).

Good luck.

Shaza

Sawasdee ka jen

I hope you can have money back and important to stop school like this because other ladys will have same after same you and no good for every body .

Report this to what ever police can do for you is very terrible when some body spend money for some thing no good .

mui

can no one on this site take this up for me... not any of the bigger fish on here? i'm only a little (blonde0 newwie surely this isnt right that they can still advertise in ALL the trade mags!!!!

HI Jen,

You know and I know that the trade magazines want the advertising MONEY.

No way do they ever check up on whether any of the adsvertisements are genuine or not ... they only want the MONEY and leave the checking to YOU.

Standards? Just recently there was a post about preparing the nail with a 100 grit abrasive??? This was the method given in the trade magazine!! What kind of a low rent product needs to use a board like that in order to make the product stick?

Those who run trade magazines are not nail technicians ... they don't even pick up on stuff like that. (Alex could be the exception to this as she is very clued up) but I wonder what Alex would do if given copy like this (above) and knew that the nail would be really damaged by it. Would she run the article or not?

What is happening to standards??? I am doing my nvq and was trained at creative so fortunately i know what standards should be. However I am at college doing beauty therapy also and we have to share kits provided by the college. I went to do a pedicure and had to borrow the kit from the "advanced nail tecniques" students... in the bag was various blunt tools a metal foot rasp and horror of horrors... the acrylic brush- unloved and anyones for the taking! consequently when we all emptied the bag everyone played with the brush. Someone in the chatroom last week told me at one college the lecturer told them to leave all dust on the nail plate as it help the product stick!!! my tutor also informed me i would fail the nail techniques course if i pre tailored the tips and must always use acetone to blend them in... I have to try hard to keep my gob shut sometimes.
If students are being taught like this at college what a waste of time as any prospective employer would have re -train them anyway..

I feel very sad by some aspects of the nail industry :cry:
Like any profession there will always be badly trained techs, Whats sad is when people first go to courses as novices to nails, they dont know that the way there being taught is wrong, which is very worrying to say the least.
Some people seem to think if something is advertised in a trade mag that it must be good [wrong], Anyone can advertise if they pay the money.
I would say to anyone wishing to come into the nail profession to always go with the well known nail companies that are respected and reliable, Why waste money learning something that will not get you a job or a good reputation, Always ask others of their experience when learning and get the best trainning you can.

trouble is i think so many go to college first as i did, and i certainly was`nt impressed.
my friend is in the middle of her nail extension course and i think how she is being trained is appalling, leaving dust on the nail plate so the acrylic adheres to the nail better? and she will get a vtct for that ! :eek:

SHE HAS ASKED ME TO ASK, CAN SHE BUY CREATIVE WHEN SHE HAS HER VTCT? or does she have to wait for 12 months.

The general rule is that if a person has received the NVQ Unit 19 or the VCTC ... which is supposed to be the equivilent ... they are allowed to purchase CND products after a conversion class.
I KNOW there are variations in the standard of these courses BUT WHAT CAN WE DO??? How can we say that we won't accept a supposedly 'Government' recognised qualification??
We can tell on the conversion class though if someone is really not up to standard, and THEN we have the right to put them on hold as customers until their standards are raised.
We are not daft at the Creative Academy and the fact is, that many of these students want to do courses with us as soon as they have done the conversion because they realise that the education they received was not even close to the short conversion class!!
"It all comes out in the wash"

Thehandsanctuary said:
can no one on this site take this up for me... not any of the bigger fish on here? i'm only a little (blonde0 newwie surely this isnt right that they can still advertise in ALL the trade mags!!!!

There is one course of action which is is to contact the Advertising Standards Authority however this is only if the actual advert was misleading in anyway...Advertising Standards Authority, 2 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HW Telephone: 020 7580 5555. If the advert is misleading in anyway they can persue this with the company....Hope you sort you problem out - keep you chin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back