Nail lamp recommendations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BobSweden, do you know if there's any recommendation for those who are "stuck" with lamps that are not brand lamps, that is they weren't tested in a lab and approved for specific gels? I mean if there's anything they can do to reduce (if eliminating is not possible) the risk of under-curing other than buying a completely new set of certified gels and an tested lamp?

I'm no expert myself here, and one "obvious" mitigation that might work is giving gel more time to cure (like for example, 80 seconds instead of 60). Do you know if that works at all?

It's not about time, it's about the spectrum at which the light is emitted and the level of photo-initiator ingredient in the gel - they have to be matched. So extra time will not help.

Hardening is different curing. A burned cake could be hard onn the outside but raw on the inside.

@BobSweden, do you know if there's any recommendation for those who are "stuck" with lamps that are not brand lamps, that is they weren't tested in a lab and approved for specific gels? I mean if there's anything they can do to reduce (if eliminating is not possible) the risk of under-curing other than buying a completely new set of certified gels and an tested lamp?

I'm no expert myself here, and one "obvious" mitigation that might work is giving gel more time to cure (like for example, 80 seconds instead of 60). Do you know if that works at all?
Hi Bob, I'm not an expert myself on lamps since I haven't bought many so don't know if I can help much but definitely any of the "SUN" lamps are great value for nail techs just starting out who haven't yet decided which gel system company they want to stick with and still finding their way. The Sun lamp cures alot (completely) including most high end brands. Ive always cured overtime also just to be on the safe side, not sure why I just have (like all the other weird stuff I do), but yes your right in saying slightly overtime but not by much

hi again, ideally you would stick to one brand. I was a bluesky lover until I did some research and spent time here and on another group. And the gel bottle? Well that’s a whole other can of worms. I won’t get into it on here, but definitely have a look into TGB, we absolutely do not recommended the use of their products.

It’s already covered in the link above, but essentially... we as nail techs cannot tell if a product has cured to a safe level. Although it may look and feel cured, only chemists are able to test this for sure. So bluesky will have designed their lamp (alongside chemists) to ensure that their gels cure properly. So unless they state otherwise, you can’t be sure if their gels will cure with a different lamp. Uncured product is now seen as the leading cause of nail allergies. They are painful and irreversible and honestly I would be mortified if I had caused an allergy for my client.
Aside from the allergy situation, you won’t be insured if you aren’t following the correct method and products as advised by the brand.

So we can’t really sit here and recommend a certain lamp. We recommend the lamp that your brand recommends. If you wanted brand recommendations, I’m happy to list some for you, or have a read through the other threads.

Good luck x
Hi Kyralouise, I just bought blueskys builder gel for the first time yesterday. I've never tried them before. I was also actually thinking to try gel bottle down the track mainly because both are vegan friendly. Is their a problem with Bluesky before I go and spend more. Thanks.

You are very welcome ethicalclaws and I am grateful that you accepted the advice.

Several times a week I have Nail Techs and even students in nail schools, email me for advice because they developed allergies. This makes me so sad, because even if they are able to use a hypoallergenic product (and there is no 100% guarantee, especially if they changed brands several times and have a lot of allergies to different ingredients), there are potentially serious consequences for their dental care or if they need bone surgery, as both use some of the same ingredients. A friend in Australia, actually a trained pharmacist who owns a beauty supply company, reported to me that one of his contacts had to have some of her teeth removed. This is obviously rare, most with multiple allergies simply have to find a new career.
Terrible thing to happen to anybody. I know of people who've reacted to primers where their fingers were so damaged they nearly had to leave the industry. The wounds seem to take forever to heal aswel.

You don’t appear to be a qualified nail professional, according to your profile details, so please read through the link attached by @Kyralouise above, which is self explanatory 😉
Some of the most skilled nail technicians in the world aren't qualified.

The Sun lamp cures alot (completely) including most high end brands.

The main issue is nobody has tested all possible gels with all possible "Sun" lamps because it would cost too much money and neither gel brands nor "Sun" are interested in doing that. And since there's no scientifically proven tests we can't be sure that all those gels are 100% completely cured. As @Trinity said, it can be visually cured and hard while only 80% cured (a random but not completely random percentage by me, just to give a gist).

However, if we want to be scientifically correct here, there's a chance that some lamps will indeed never cure specific gels, while some lamps that haven't been certified will give 100% results.

The main issue is nobody has tested all possible gels with all possible "Sun" lamps because it would cost too much money and neither gel brands nor "Sun" are interested in doing that. And since there's no scientifically proven tests we can't be sure that all those gels are 100% completely cured. As @Trinity said, it can be visually cured and hard while only 80% cured (a random but not completely random percentage by me, just to give a gist).

However, if we want to be scientifically correct here, there's a chance that some lamps will indeed never cure specific gels, while some lamps that haven't been certified will give 100% results.
Ok, now I get what your saying. Yes makes more sense now. So what would you suggest a nail tech do who combines multiple products in the one service, surely we couldn't buy a lamp for each gel step. With all due respect that would be insane. I must admit if I was of nature to conform to the one product only, be an ambassador for the company etc, of course it would make absolute sense to only use everything they do but In my case If I can't grab a bottle of polish that can be cured under any decent led lamp tbh its simply a headache for me so. Glad I have a greater understanding of where your coming from though

Hi Kyralouise, I just bought blueskys builder gel for the first time yesterday. I've never tried them before. I was also actually thinking to try gel bottle down the track mainly because both are vegan friendly. Is their a problem with Bluesky before I go and spend more. Thanks.

I've tried Blueskys builder in a pot and didn't like it, It was sticky and messy and didn't last at all on the nails.

The problem with Bluesky is that they are too accessible. Anyone can purchase their products. It's irresponsible of Bluesky to give unqualified home-users access to products that could cause longterm damage when not used correctly. They are also made in China, where the regulations are not as tight as they are over here. And they have a high HEMA content.

Here are the MSDS sheets https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/270758/files/231050279/msds3steps.pdf

For more info on The Gel Bottle, join the Nail Tech Awareness group on Facebook.

I wouldn't recommended either Bluesky or TGB. I know the price and pretty colours seem ideal but personally I don't think it's worth the risk. There are plenty of affordable professional brands out there that care about the techs and our clients.

Off the top of my head, have a look at CJP, Magpie, CND, Ink London, Light Elegance, Bio Sculpture.

So what would you suggest a nail tech do who combines multiple products in the one service, surely we couldn't buy a lamp for each gel step. With all due respect that would be insane.

What is insane is mixing brands within one service. That’s potentially dangerous and is one of the first things you are taught in training.

Have you completed an accredited training programme or are you just winging it?

What is insane is mixing brands within one service. That’s potentially dangerous and is one of the first things you are taught in training.

Have you completed an accredited training programme or are you just winging it?

I've never had an issue yet with mixing products, I do what works for me. We're all different.

I've tried Blueskys builder in a pot and didn't like it, It was sticky and messy and didn't last at all on the nails.

The problem with Bluesky is that they are too accessible. Anyone can purchase their products. It's irresponsible of Bluesky to give unqualified home-users access to products that could cause longterm damage when not used correctly. They are also made in China, where the regulations are not as tight as they are over here. And they have a high HEMA content.

Here are the MSDS sheets https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/270758/files/231050279/msds3steps.pdf

For more info on The Gel Bottle, join the Nail Tech Awareness group on Facebook.

I wouldn't recommended either Bluesky or TGB. I know the price and pretty colours seem ideal but personally I don't think it's worth the risk. There are plenty of affordable professional brands out there that care about the techs and our clients.

Off the top of my head, have a look at CJP, Magpie, CND, Ink London, Light Elegance, Bio Sculpture.
The Bluesky builder is pretty thick I agree haven't tried it yet but just from opening the jar I can see. Alot of people wouldn't like this but for me I actually do apart from the fact I bought clear so will definitely have to watch those heat spikes. The brands you've mentioned all sound good. Never heard of CJP must be bigger in the UK. Try not to get too caught up in product regulations etc, put that energy into your nails and leave the rest. Im sure you do lovely sets🌻

Try not to get too caught up in product regulations etc, put that energy into your nails and leave the rest.

WTAF?! :mad:

I don't think this is the right site for you, we are a forum for professional nail technicians, telling us not to get caught up in 'regulations' is ridiculous and disrespectful.

If this is a site for professional nail technicians then I'd like to stay. I'm pleased to see so much focus in here is spent on the health and safety of clients.

If this is a site for professional nail technicians then I'd like to stay. I'm pleased to see so much focus in here is spent on the health and safety of clients.

You're welcome to stay but please consider your audience

May I ask how many different nail technicians from all over come in here regularly to post. Is it just the few of you or does in here get busy at times

Try not to get too caught up in product regulations etc, put that energy into your nails and leave the rest. Im sure you do lovely sets🌻

There's more to nails than pretty designs. It's my job to care about product regulations and invest my money wisely into great quality products.

I've never had an issue yet with mixing products, I do what works for me. We're all different.

"Yet" is the problem. It's simply not your risk to take. Go ahead mix what you like on your own nails. But when your client comes out in allergic reaction, it's irreversible and she may never be allowed to have her nails done again. You have probably voided your insurance by mixing products too...

May I ask how many different nail technicians from all over come in here regularly to post. Is it just the few of you or does in here get busy at times

There's a fair few of us. If you have a scroll down the nail forum, you can see all the different questions and regular responders

Compared to what? We're not a social media site, so traffic is relative to the environment. It's steady tick over. Most questions/subjects have been discussed often so reading back or using the search facility will provide most answers. We also actively encourage members to only reply to a thread with information, you won't see loads of 'F' or 'agreed Hun' type responses.

There's more to nails than pretty designs. It's my job to care about product regulations and invest my money wisely into great quality products.

"Yet" is the problem. It's simply not your risk to take. Go ahead mix what you like on your own nails. But when your client comes out in allergic reaction, it's irreversible and she may never be allowed to have her nails done again. You have probably voided your insurance by mixing products too...

There's a fair few of us. If you have a scroll down the nail forum, you can see all the different questions and regular responders

Thankyou Kyralouise

Some of the most skilled nail technicians in the world aren't qualified.

Being artistic and having a natural flair for nail design is one thing, but anyone offering nail services to the general public has to be (a) qualified and (b) insured.

Absolutely, nothing irritates me more than nail techs that don't know the industry regulations yet put every glitter colour there is inside an otherwise beautifully structured nail like an eight yr old would. I'd really like to comment more on Australian training in here except I did join to try and converse constructively because I myself will be needing support very soon for something upcoming. It doesn't appear to be going very well though, and I definitely don't feel welcomed. Regardless of my insane work ethics..there's certain ways to come across to people especially when online.

You have said a number of things in this thread that are very troubling. I will address them all in this one post because I think your comments and my concerns are rooted in the question of what it means to be a nail professional. I offer this with the best of intentions and hope that you will accept it in the same spirit.

I think it is important for you to recognize the purpose of this forum – this is a forum for professional nail technicians – those who are trained and qualified in the field. Our purpose is to support each other, but also to uphold the values of the profession, to build relationships with manufacturers and vendors, and to protect the safety and well-being of our clients and each other. We rely on facts and research, we respect those that do that work and all work supporting our profession. We take it seriously.

“Some of the most skilled nail technicians in the world aren't qualified.”
“Try not to get too caught up in product regulations etc, put that energy into your nails and leave the rest.”
These comments are very troubling. You cannot be a skilled nail technician and not be qualified. We are professionals- We LIVE by product regulations. It’s how we keep ourselves, our staff, and our clients safe. That is one of the most important skills a nail professional brings to the table. You cannot be considered skilled if you aren’t doing that. Talented, artistic, creative, maybe, but not skilled.

The problem with Bluesky – Bluesky got its start as a counterfeit brand, that is, a brand that masquerades as another product (CND Shellac in this case). It was sued, its products confiscated at beauty shows, etc. until it was brought into compliance. But Bluesky is still available online to anyone, it does not provide associated products, and it does not manufacture or even recommend an appropriate lamp. These are huge red flags to any nail professional.

“I've never had an issue yet with mixing products, I do what works for me. We're all different." Mixing brands is a big no-no in this field – it is contrary to manufacturer’s instructions and will invalidate your insurance. It also jeopardizes the health and safety of your client because you simply don’t know the impact of mixing products not designed to be mixed. We are not all different – we are all human beings sharing the same biology. We use a lot of different chemicals, many of which can be hazardous if not used correctly.

I am also very concerned that you seem unfamiliar with the basic science of gel polish and why using the proper lamp is so important. Cosmetics allergies are off the charts and much of it is due to the improper use of nail products (by DIYers and professionals). This is very serious because such an allergy is for life. This is about more than not being able to get your nails done. Many medical and dental products use the same types of products (In fact, some nail companies got their start as dental companies – witness Odontorium Products Inc.!)

So I know I’ve thrown a lot at you, but I hope I have presented it in a way that you will take it all seriously. This is a great forum for nail techs who want to do their best work and do the best for their clients. I have learned so much from the (mostly) ladies here. The variety of people – beginning techs, seasoned techs, techs in retirement, researchers, entrepreneurs, chemists – they’re all here and are willing to be of assistance to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back