Nail mould

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missellie

Reaction score
Just wondered about in scratch mag, beyond the basics article page 105 where a top international educator, champion and judge says
"what is often called a nail fungus is actually a type of mould. created by an infection of bacteria that causes a yellow green stain on the nail.

I thought we should not use the word mould and quote
"It wont be Mould, Mould cannot grown on the nails"
"Mold may grow on your shower curtain....But it sure ain't gonna grow on your fingernails, the probability of mold growing on your plate is next to nil."
Moldy Oldy Fun Guys
Just wondered why they use the word mould at all? Is an infection of bacteria a type of mould or not? If this person is saying so then Is that correct?. If it is not true then not sure why it would be said in this article by a top nail tech.
Confused.

My trainer calls it mould, shes been a beauty therapist/nail tech for about 20 odd years

My trainer calls it mould, shes been a beauty therapist/nail tech for about 20 odd years

Should she be doing this when this quote is on here
"OMG they even call a bacterial infection a MOULD!!! Pu-leeze"
Worrying when top techs and trainers are saying this and some saying absolutely not?
Still confused, with different info.

Mould is a microscopic organism not a bacteria. So no you cannot call mould a bacteria! Mould is collectively called fungi/fungus. Mould is present everywhere and it feeds on organic substances to grow, skin and nails are organic! Mould can be many different colours depending on the type it is - it can be green, brown, black, yellow, orange, white etc etc. Mushroom & penicillan and tinea are types of mould. Mould can cause very serious health problems such as allergic reactions, hypersensetivity and can weaken our immune system. If you have a customer with a fungal/mould condition, you are being honest by pointing it out truthfully. You should always recommend they see a Doctor before you do ANY treatment or service on them!! Fungal infections are caused by mould and are very contagious to you & other clients.

I was a fully qualified mould restoration expert - so i know about mould!!

Wow I'm stunned that any tech would refer to a nail infection (fungal or bacterial as mould..)

Mold(USA/CA) or mould(NZ/UK/AUS) specifically refers to a multi cellular fungal colony. They take a 'fuzzy' or 'furry' appearance. Single cell fungus are smooth and flat and are known as yeasts

It is correct that mould will not grow on a human. Well not whole we are alive at least...

Sadly too many techs are still referring to green or brown stains on finger nails as mould or fungus. It is extremely err for it to be either as the environment will not support their growth

Fungal yeast infections can and do occur on toe nails due to the more suitable environment and most often present as thick, crumbly opaque or yellowish nail plate

The most likely infection on a fingernail is bacterial and is almost always due to poor hygiene and sanitation during the manicure process.
Bacteria produce yellow (sometimes highlighter colored) through green right through to dark brown or blackish discoloration. This 'stain' is not the bacteria but rather the waste byproduct from their digestion

If anyone. Even tutors is in doubt of infections they need to read Doug schoons nail anatomy and product chemistry book. This is the gold standard that any professional should know and understand

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back