Nail polish bubbling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreenoconnor

CND Education Ambassador Cork
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having a bit of trouble with my polish bubbling. I never shake the bottle , and put it on in thin strokes but it seems that it's still bubbling on me

Could a top coat that has gone slightly thick cause this ? Or any nail polish thats gone slightly thick for that matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi All,

Having a bit of trouble with my polish bubbling. I never shake the bottle , and put it on in thin strokes but it seems that it's still bubbling on me

Could a top coat that has gone slightly thick cause this ? Or any nail polish thats gone slightly thick for that matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hi Noreen .. I know you are not new to nails ... is this something new you are experiencing?? Have you thoroughly prepared the nail plate for the polish and thoroughly cleaned the surface? Is the surface dry when you apply?

I actually love it when my top coat has thickened a bit!! lol I haven't ever seen it as a problem. Thick nail polish however is a nightmare to paint with and it does not do a nice job.

Bubbling is a funny term; when people use it they often really are describing the 'look' which can typically be caused by not removing all the cuticle from the plate rather than actual bubbling.

Thanks so much for your reply geeg.

I'm not new to nails, but I have for the last two months been renting a space within a salon where I am getting a lot of requests for just regular polish which is relatively new to me. I feel my technique is good as I have been applying shellac and Gelish for a while now with no problems.

One lady came back to me a few weeks ago and said that her polish had bubbled , It wasn't on so I can't really say what it looked like. I have no reason not to believe her as she wasn't looking for a freebie or mean about it in any way.

But I had another lady come into me today who had a french polish done yesterday , she had chipped a nail and wanted me to fix it and as i did I noticed that all of the white tips had little holes where I'm assuming the bubbles were, she didn't mention it , it was just something i noticed my self.

I just wanted to get to the bottom of it as i'm new and trying to build up a good rep in my area and don't wanted something like this to ruin me before i've started so to speak.

I filed the nails then cleaned them with non acetone nail polish remover to prepare them. The nails are dry when the base coat goes on. I'm thinking my white is perhaps every so slighly thick (polishes aren't lasting long because of the heat of the salon) would this cause it to bubble?

Thanks so much for your reply geeg.

I'm not new to nails, but I have for the last two months been renting a space within a salon where I am getting a lot of requests for just regular polish which is relatively new to me. I feel my technique is good as I have been applying shellac and Gelish for a while now with no problems.

One lady came back to me a few weeks ago and said that her polish had bubbled , It wasn't on so I can't really say what it looked like. I have no reason not to believe her as she wasn't looking for a freebie or mean about it in any way.

But I had another lady come into me today who had a french polish done yesterday , she had chipped a nail and wanted me to fix it and as i did I noticed that all of the white tips had little holes where I'm assuming the bubbles were, she didn't mention it , it was just something i noticed my self.

I just wanted to get to the bottom of it as i'm new and trying to build up a good rep in my area and don't wanted something like this to ruin me before i've started so to speak.

I filed the nails then cleaned them with non acetone nail polish remover to prepare them. The nails are dry when the base coat goes on. I'm thinking my white is perhaps every so slighly thick (polishes aren't lasting long because of the heat of the salon) would this cause it to bubble?
i WOULD NOT PREPARE THE NAILS WITH NON ACETONE POLISH REMOVER. Think about it. the remover soaks into the plate and then 'works' on deteriorating the polish once you have put it on!! Voilà .. I think that is you problem. To add to that, remover almost always has oil in it .. another substance that would cause what you are seeing.

Prepare the plate for polish exactly as you would for Shellac .. NO buffing and use Scrub Fresh sparingly. I think your problems will be over.

ah makes sense now :D Thanks so much!

out of curiosity would thick polish ever cause bubbles?

And could cuticle oil (i use solar oil) cause bubbling as i do apply it around the cuticles after polishing?

ah makes sense now :D Thanks so much!

out of curiosity would thick polish ever cause bubbles?

And could cuticle oil (i use solar oil) cause bubbling as i do apply it around the cuticles after polishing?

Noreen, I have been applying Solar Oil after polishing for nearly 30 years .. I can safely say, that it will not cause bubbling :) .. in fact it is a great aid to the polish drying and staying flexible.

Polish being thicker does not cause bubbling ... it just means that some of the solvents have evaporated and it makes polishing more difficult. If you have thick polishes, then I would replace them ... they have paid for themselves time and time again. Ditch them and start afresh and make your life as a nail technician easier.

will do :D thanks so much for the advice i'm very grateful :D

If they have polish on already would you remove with polish remover then wipe the nail with scrub fresh then? Would this stop the bubbling from the polish remover?

Geeg, just a question if you don't mind.....are you saying that you apply cuticle oil after a nail polish application while the nails are still tacky? I've never done this as I thought the nail polish wouldnt dry?

Geeg, just a question if you don't mind.....are you saying that you apply cuticle oil after a nail polish application while the nails are still tacky? I've never done this as I thought the nail polish wouldnt dry?
Oh .... on the contrary ...Oil on th surface absolutely helps the polish to dry much more quickly as it blocks Oxygen from the surface and oxygen is an inhibitor to drying. Oh I so kove knowing my chemistry!! lol

All polish driers contain Oil! And yes, you apply it quickly and firmly while still tacky.

If they have polish on already would you remove with polish remover then wipe the nail with scrub fresh then? Would this stop the bubbling from the polish remover?

I'd be interested to know this too. I'm thinking that it would as scrubfresh removes oil and impurities from the nail plate , would I be right ? :D

I'd be interested to know this too. I'm thinking that it would as scrubfresh removes oil and impurities from the nail plate , would I be right ? :D

Of course it would. Use what you know geeks. Well thought out, Noreen.
I do not use polish remover in the salon. I always use pure Acetone ... D.Solve to be exact. It is the quickest and the cleanest way to do it. I use it on enhanced nails as well ... it is not on long enough to have any affect in the enhancement.

Latest posts

Back