Nail polish help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charli.

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to change the brand of nail polish I use because mine I bought when I was studying, so are just rimmel and I think I need a more professional brand, although I do really like their wide brushes. I know the obvious one is OPI, but I'm personally not a fan. The problem I have is that some brands are easier to paint with than others, all just down to personal prference of course, but therefore I'd like to try before I spend a lot of money on 20 odd colours. A friend has some Elizabeth Ardens which I tried and love but I had a quick look around on the internet and they seem impossible to buy. I use ORLY base/top coat which is great, but I don't know what their colours are like. Is there a better way to find whats best for me that just having to buy one of a few makes first?

Thanks for your help, and sorry it's so rambly

Charli

There are literally so many brand you need to try a few, which can be hard when it comes to professional products, as often to get them at professional prices you need to prove your a therapist or a student.
Just try a few out and see what you like I like OPI, Jessica and China glaze I used orly at college but found them a bit "gloopy" but that's probably due to the use that they got. Many people on here will also recommend CND. It's personal choice.

Last edited:
A few of my faves include CND, Bio Sculpture, OPI, and China Glaze. I like Jessica when new, but personally I find they go gloopy faster than the others. CND's colours go on so nicely and some look lovely and opaque after just one coat!

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to get myself down to Ultimate and buy a couple of different bits.

I love LOVE Orly! China glaze is a close second. Essie is wonderful, as well. I find most of my clients care more about color than brand, tho.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

opi, cnd and bio sculpture for me

if you have a sallys local to you they usually have a pretty good selection, that way you can buy a couple of each?xx

Yeah that's a good point. I think I'll go to Sallys and Ultimate and get a couple of different ones. I know it seems silly but some nail polish brushes I just can't use very well. Like Barry M takes me forever to do a full hand with, which I know because its my sisters favourite and when she gets me to do her nails it takes forever. So I just want to make sure I'm getting one I can do a professional finish with

I add Essie and Zoya.
There is lots of blogs around the net, internet is full of nail polish addicts, they have forums, where you can find dupes of colors, almost every color you say was already swatched and posted :) it makes choosing color much easier.
I simply use google image search when I want to buy polishes.

You do not have attach yourself to one brand, I carry OPI, Orly, China Glaze, Essie, Zoya, Nfu-Oh, Butter London, Elisabeth Arden, Chanel - whichever color I found interesting. None brand is consistent about the way color applies, how long it stays - it all depends on color, pigments used to make it.
And with brushes - you will get used to it. The more you practise painting, the easier it will be and the more brush will not matter.
I wish you lots of fun with building your collection :)

Latest posts

Back