Nail polish hygiene

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouboutinLover

Reaction score
Hi there, I haven't seen anything around this subject on here and I'm just wondering how you guys would have handled this situation.

So, I'm doing a pedicure - as you do and the lady mentions another technician she's been too where they GIVE the client the bottle of polish they paint the clients nails with so germs are not passed from person to person in the polish.

Well I can only assume she includes the cost of the polish in the price and while this is a great little deal for the client I really have never faced this issue with a client before. So I simply said that as she is aware I always spend time cleansing the nail plates, so the area is cleaned and sanitized and I always check for any abnormalities on the nails - and complete a consultation also. So my clients hands/feet are always clean before I start a treatment and I would never perform a treatment on a client who showed signs of anything suspicious. She seemed happy with this but still went on about this idea of diff bottle on diff people.

Now, while in theory I think the new polish for each customer is wonderful - I am simply not in a position to be giving out free polishes with every treatment without hiking up my costs which I don't want to do as I believe my prices are fair :)

However I would like too know whether you would have added anything to what I said or whether in fact I should be more concerned with this idea of passing things between bottles - although I really don't see how this is possible if the technician is doing their job properly?

Thoughts?

:)

Sounds to me like she wanted a free bottle of polish! :D

Hi
I have wondered about this myself before...during my training and was told that the cleansing process should remove any contamination from the nails. I have wondered whether nail polish or the new gel coat type would even be scientifically possible to be a growth medium for bacteria or fungi! I imagine that is more than covered in the development. Curious...

Further to this maybe if a client is uncomfortable having polish applied that may have been used on others they could bring their own to the treatment...

Sounds to me like she wanted a free bottle of polish! :D

Lol! I try so hard not to be negative and think about the science behind the questions the clients ask - but I think you may be right here!!! 😄

Happyfeet - that's fab thank you do much - I really must get round to reading more of Doug Schoons work. It's always so reassuring 😄

And Emmarie I've often wondered that too ie. whether bacteria can actually 'live/breed' in nail polish. As for asking them to bring they're own polish - I fear that may encourage requests for discounts! Lol. Bless em! 😄

Hi there,
There is a local salon that does this....... they simply include it in the price they charge (expensive) but it is a nice feature, as then you can touch up the nails if you chip them. One of my friends goes there and they "sell" the hygiene aspect to the customers.

I had a client try this a few years ago. She told me EVERY salon she had gone to always gave her the polish they used on her. It was only sanitary, she said.

I told her that we didn't apply polish to infected nails and we followed strict sanitation protocols so we didn't give away $9 bottles of polish to clients, however, she was welcomed to purchase the bottle if she liked.

She reported us to the State Board for sanitation violations. They threw out her complaint.

I had a client try this a few years ago. She told me EVERY salon she had gone to always gave her the polish they used on her. It was only sanitary, she said.

I told her that we didn't apply polish to infected nails and we followed strict sanitation protocols so we didn't give away $9 bottles of polish to clients, however, she was welcomed to purchase the bottle if she liked.

She reported us to the State Board for sanitation violations. They threw out her complaint.

Wow! Now there's trying to pull a fast one - and then there's taking it too the next level! She must have felt so foolish?! Is she really that desperate for a free polish?

I think it's awful that people are trying to 'sell' the product in this way to tell clients that it is unhygienic.
Obviously giving the client a polish as part of the package is a lovely little offer as already stated for filling in chips etc but surely the offer is enough without having to say things that clearly are untrue - unless they aren't following hygeine protocol. Seems a tad unnecessary 😳

Obviously giving the client a polish as part of the package is a lovely little offer as already stated for filling in chips etc but surely the offer is enough without having to say things that clearly are untrue - unless they aren't following hygeine protocol. Seems a tad unnecessary ��

Exactly!

BTW...Can you imagine how much freakin' polish this chick must have by now?!

We give the bottle to our clients afterwards.. BUT .. This is worked into the cost of their treatment, and it's an Orly Miniature.

Clients say its a nice touch and a couple love it but I think most have got about 3 of the same minis now!

Definitely not realistic if we're talking 18ml bottles!

I had went to a salon for a luxury pedicure and was given the bottle of polish away with me. It was a little mini jessica one. great for touching up and re doing them myself. I think the majority of people wouldnt really expect to take a bottle of polish away, i certainly didnt.

It is a very nice touch but how many bottles of polish will you have to keep in stock!! then all the colours that no one wants you'll have loads of!

Hi there

I no this is few months old now but i was thinking if any fungle can be passed on through nail vanish which I don't think it can .if some salons are giveing away The polish shouldn't they be more worried about the bace coat ? . ;)

Hi there

I no this is few months old now but i was thinking if any fungle can be passed on through nail vanish which I don't think it can .if some salons are giveing away The polish shouldn't they be more worried about the bace coat ? . ;)

Well, thinking about it logically - what kind of environment/conditions do infections like? Generally they like it to be warm, dark and moist and, obviously they need food. You're not likely to find this inside a bottle of nail polish - it's mostly all solvents which are not conducive to supporting pathogenic life.

Another point to note is that if anything COULD be spread, then there would be new guidelines re the sanitisation and disinfection of the polish. Which there isn't.

This applies whether or not the polishes are free of the 'big 3' (DBP, Formaldehyde & Tolulene) or not.

I hope this helps.

Also, yes! I would imagine that if any coat WERE to be susceptible to pathogens, then it would be the base :lol:

If some salons are giveing away The polish shouldn't they be more worried about the bace coat ? . ;)

This is exactly what I was thinking - if hygiene is their concern, shouldn't they be giving the base coat away, not the colour?!

(Not that I believe for one moment anything grows in polish I hasten to add!)

Last edited:
I hate it when people pander to the uninformed or the mis-informed, by doing things like this silly polish' give away.'. Doing so just helps to spread myth and fear and to misinform people even further. If you do this it validates the myth because as a professional, people expect you to be informed of the truth!

If organisms could grow in polish do you think we would not see it in our own years old bottles hanging around at home and in the salon? When you opened it years later would we not find signs of organism growth etc? Where is peoples' common sense ... Not so common is it? :lol:

Polish does not support life. It is sanitary to use and cannot transmit disease to anyone.

Hi linzi

Thanks for the info that's what I thought I just wanted to point out about some clients wanting the nail vanish so its only used on them and not thinking about base coat they just want a free bottle really . ( luckily none of my clients never ask this) :lol: .this is my first post but it's very good getting some feed back .

Latest posts

Back