Nail polish in the fridge - an urban legend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the old 'keeping your nail polish in the fridge will help it last longer' is an old wives' tale or not?
I know that when polishes get too hot they tend to thicken up a bit quickly, but is refridgeration always neccessary?
I've just bought my first batch of professional polishes (waiting rather impatiently by the front door for the courier....) and I don't want them to go to waste through ill-treatment.
My room is in the loft of the house, so gets a bit stiflingly stuffy anytime the weather gets sunny (like today - better late than never!). I have one of those mini fridge wotsits that every man and has dog have been selling this summer - not sure that it gets as cold as a real fridge, but would it be worth storing my polishes in that, given how warm my room gets?
Thanks!
Lol x

I store my polishes in a box on a shelf in the hall, it's quite dark and generally quite cool there. We live in Spain so I have to be careful with the heat etc and the effect it has. Some of my 'cheaper' polishes have thickened up, one went totally gloopy and even though I used a thinner it didn't help. Maybe having more expensive polishes is the answer as I've not noticed any change to my Mavala or Zoya polishes at all.
The problem you might have is storing them in your loft room due to the heat rising.

Hi,

I always keep my polish in the fridge, they do eventually separate, well the cheaper ones do, but i've got some in there now that i've had the best of 6 years :biggrin:

michelemacca said:
Hi,

I always keep my polish in the fridge, they do eventually separate, well the cheaper ones do, but i've got some in there now that i've had the best of 6 years :biggrin:

Obviously I am not luckly enought to live in spain!!

But Interestingly enough if some of my lesser quality polishes get gloopy a give them a really long roll between my hands to get the consistancy more fluid - so for me the heat theory works in reverse!! How bizzare

I've never personally stored polishes in the fridge, but I know a lot of techs that do it. I heard that it makes the polish turn thick (especially top coats) .....but then again, it probably depends on the temperature of the fridge. And I'm sure you'd have to take the polish out at the beginning of the service so it can warm up. Maybe you'll have to do an experiment and see. Put in a cheap one, and a pricey one, and see how they hold up. The polishes I have at home, I store in a box in my front hall closet. It is dark, and generally cooler than the rest of the house.

Doug Schoon does not recommend storing polishes in the fridge. According to the chemist it does not make the shelf life of a polish longer. HEAT however is not good for polish.

Store at an ambient temperature and out of direct sunlight.

Latest posts

Back