Nail Polish remover to remove acrylic nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegill

Reaction score
can you use normal nail polish remover which has acetone in to remove acrylic nails? or does it need to be 100% acetone? thanks! :confused:

No Hun dont do it, that wont work !,
I think the best thing you could do would be to go to a GOOD Salon and get them removed professionally !

allot of the damaged nails I have seen on new clients have been damaged by them removing there own enhancements and then coming to me to try to fix the damage !
I also hear alot of "nail enhancements damage your nails " 9 time out of ten if I say how wear they removed they say they did it!

EDIT I have just looked at your profile and I see you are training , So I think your teacher should really have explained this! and I think you should bring it up with them so that they can tell you and your class! did you not get any books with your courses ?

Last edited:
I think you would be there for a while if you use the ones with nail varnish in them, as you can wipe nail varnish over acrylics and they don't really dont much damage i have tried before to soak off acrylics with nail varnish incld acetone and it took me ages! x

Thanks for the replies!

I have been doing my own acrylic nails for over a year, but haven't done a course yet, however I am doing one this year. Yaaay!! :) Therefore I haven't learnt how to remove nails yet! Can I buy acetone from any shop because I would like some for today, otherwise I would order it offline.

Thanks x

Yea definatly don't do it with remover as I did years ago! I didn't do nails then and had my nails done for a birthday and attempted to remove them that way... It took hours- literally. Made me feel I'll as was dipping my hand in the remover.! You can get it at places like sallys

can you use normal nail polish remover which has acetone in to remove acrylic nails? or does it need to be 100% acetone? thanks! :confused:

this is very easy if done right.
1. file the acrylic till the thickness is removed but not down to the nail bed.
2. GET pure acetone from sally's or any other beauty store. It is CHEAP.
3. soak and NEVER lift it off. NEVER.
4. Use orange stick about every 5-10 min and scrap wet product off. NEVER LIFT IT.
might take 30 min. but your nails will be better for the time.
5. OIL your nails. :)

4. Use orange stick about every 5-10 min and scrap wet product off. NEVER LIFT IT.

And just so every one understands.... NEVER PRY OR LIFT it off.... this can not be stressed enough.

I really don't want to get in to the whole not trained V trained thing and shes working on her self,sister , friends not paying clients, everyone dose have to start somewhere and although by the posters profile she say's she has been doing nails for 3 years and wants to train
(yet doesn't know how to remove them)
I stand by my original advice to the poster. go and get them removed professionally ,
and then get into training it is clear you have interest and thats grate you should grow on that with education and direction ,

I have to say though I am quite honestly slightly shocked by the willingness of fellow nail pros to send an untrained to Sally's with a shopping list,
as far as I know (never shopped there) Sally's is supposed to be a professional wholesale type shop and not a hobby craft high street shop ?

while enhancement removal is no secrete there are prob 1000 's of threads here about it , it dose seem odd how other pros are happy to give step by step removal instructions ect... (do you all do this with your clients ?)

now I'm not saying this because I'm worried about my customers or client base it doesn't effect me as one person .... but as a whole this kind of thing DOSE devalue the whole industry ... IMO ....

I really don't want to get in to the whole not trained V trained thing and shes working on her self,sister , friends not paying clients, everyone dose have to start somewhere and although by the posters profile she say's she has been doing nails for 3 years and wants to train
I stand by my original advice to the poster. go and get them removed professionally ,
and then get into training it is clear you have interest and thats grate you should grow on that with education and direction ,

I have to say though I am quite honestly slightly shocked by the willingness of fellow nail pros to send an untrained to Sally's with a shopping list,
as far as I know (never shopped there) Sally's is supposed to be a professional wholesale type shop and not a hobby craft high street shop ?

while enhancement removal is no secrete there are prob 1000 's of threads here about it , it dose seem odd how other pros are happy to give step by step removal instructions ect... (do you all do this with your clients ?)

now I'm not saying this because I'm worried about my customers or client base it doesn't effect me as one person .... but as a whole this kind of thing DOSE devalue the whole industry ... IMO ....

Well said, could not agree more!

Nail designer with a twist;)

You are wrong, Sally's is open to anyone. I would rather tell her how to remove them safely then see her rip them off. I did not give her list. but one item to remove them. I was not giving her info on how to put them on or what to buy to put them on. Safety is better in this case.

I think the things that I have made bold count as a list ?

But I'm not going to get into it .... Safety first your right .....
"She should go to a GOOD salon"....

I think the things that I have made bold count as a list ?

But I'm not going to get into it .... Safety first your right .....
"She should go to a GOOD salon"....

That stuff is things most people have in their home now. Least many people I know do. And you are right, she should go to a GOOD salon, she should have been going to them for the past 3 years. But she wont, and that is sad. So now she will remove them safely, not just from her self, but from other people. And the fact that she was not doing it that was scares me more then telling her how.

Hi there,
now what is puzzling me is how have you been doing nails for all this time and never needed to soak before????
Application and the correct removal proceedure go hand in hand..
My advise would be, go to a salon and have them removed professionally.
At least you will be shown how they do it.
Then leave well alone until you start your training.
This may sound harsh and not what you may want to hear, but trust me, it is really the best way forward.
Incorrect removal can be just as damaging as over filing your nails.

@Sachi, here in the UK our rules for buying Nail products are a little bit different, certificates have to be submitted before an account to purchase can be created. That's why so many wanna be Technicians buy from unlicensed sources and do not get the company and product support they need.

They buy the L&P from the Internet, watch a clip on you tube and hey presto another Technician is born.

now back to my Voddy and Orange xxxx

Hi there,
now what is puzzling me is how have you been doing nails for all this time and never needed to soak before????
Application and the correct removal proceedure go hand in hand..
My advise would be, go to a salon and have them removed professionally.
At least you will be shown how they do it.
Then leave well alone until you start your training.
This may sound harsh and not what you may want to hear, but trust me, it is really the best way forward.
Incorrect removal can be just as damaging as over filing your nails.

@Sachi, here in the UK our rules for buying Nail products are a little bit different, certificates have to be submitted before an account to purchase can be created. That's why so many wanna be Technicians buy from unlicensed sources and do not get the company and product support they need.

They buy the L&P from the Internet, watch a clip on you tube and hey presto another Technician is born.

now back to my Voddy and Orange xxxx

I have noticed that you have to get trained in each brand in the UK. I guess that keeps the issues of dif prep steps etc down. Here the only brand I have found that you can get over the counter is A.S.P, at sally's and it is nasty to say the least.

How can someone remove anything safely without proper training? You won't be doing anyone a favour by telling them what to do cause they ain't going to remember or know how to do it properly.

How many clients have we seen blaming the enhancements ruining their nails? When in fact someone told them to remove it themselves!

We are professionals, we pay a lot of money to become who we are! Why should I tell anything to anyone without training. She will not thank me when she will become trained and will share my point of view.

By the way! I have decided to become a plastic surgeon but don't quite have the money or the time to do my training. Hoping eventually will be able to do it. For now I am practicing on myself, friends and family. By the way can someone on here recommend me how to remove filler from my fat lips cause I think I done it to thick! I don't really want to ho the clinic cause they charge too much for PROPER TREATMeNT!!!!!

Come on girls!

Sallys should be shut down, I don't go there simply because it sells to general public! Imagine all the clients will decide to do the nails themselves, because someone being not too careful telling them what to do and where to buy it. But then, when they will realise they have ruined the nails, they will finally decide to go to properly trained professional, who will take time to explain thoroughly why the nails should be applied and removed professionally!

If you really passionate about nail industry and truly want to become a part of it, get on a good course, learn and start practicing! But stop doing it until then!

Thank you ;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

I am firmly behind Nailsinlindon, Mizzy Dizzy and Natalya on this one! Be a professional and persuade a non professional to go to a salon. NOT give a step by step lesson!

Reason for edit is missing out Mizzy Dizzy as she stuck her guns on this

This is my first comment so hope i do it right but not got anything to add to the removal debate cos i think mizzydizzy coverd it lol but just wanted to add i went to sallys in leeds last month n i had to produce all my certificates to get an account or else she wouldnt of allowed me to buy products xxx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Latest posts

Back