Nail powder varnishing patchy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missymoo94

Reaction score
hey everyone! Hoping someone here can give me some answers!

I recently bought some unicorn/mermaid nail powder from born pretty via amazon. I had watched several videos and the reviews were pretty decent, and it was my birthday so I wanted something extra. I also ordered the pretty diva no-wipe top coat because I only had regular gel top coats at home.

So everything comes as expected. I had some extra nails at home and decided to experiment before I brought it all to work and had my nails done. I have a UV light at home and at first I couldn't get the nail powder to stick over the top coat, which someone had mentioned in their video that they had the same problem and cut the cure time back. So I cut the cure time from 120 seconds to 90 and they varnished beautifully. Mind you I only used the applicator that came with it (a makeup stick) and a silicon makeup sponge.

Fast forward to getting my nails done (just my toes). We put on the base color (baby blue gel colo) and then put on the no wipe top coat. Now the lamps at the salon are LED and the curing instructions on the bottle are less than clean it says 30 seconds for UV/LED? Usually it's less for LED? So we cure the top coat for 30 seconds. We begin to put the powder on. First she varnishes with the applicator included then she uses the fancy silicon pusher to varnish it more.

My 4 little toes take it PERFECTLY my big toes are patchy. We try more powder, we try pushing harder. It won't take! What the heck happened?! I really want to put the powder on my fingernails but I would like to figure this out first! Any help would be grately appreciated!

Its the top coat not the powder. Its not curing the same on all of the toes, probably not fully cured, the smaller toes have less product on them so are perfectly cured and the powder applied perfectly, the big toes, bigger surface area more product = incorrect cure.

Its the top coat not the powder. Its not curing the same on all of the toes, probably not fully cured, the smaller toes have less product on them so are perfectly cured and the powder applied perfectly, the big toes, bigger surface area more product = incorrect cure.
Ahhh that makes perfect sense. I know we have a gelish no wipe top coat at work, but if you have a recommendation for a different gel top coat to use with the powders I'm open to suggestions!

Ahhh that makes perfect sense. I know we have a gelish no wipe top coat at work, but if you have a recommendation for a different gel top coat to use with the powders I'm open to suggestions!

I use CJP No Wipe topcoat. Its a buff off topcoat but I find its worth the extra few minutes buffing time at removal for the no chipping during wear.

Latest posts

Back