Nail problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deni

Dinky Geek
Reaction score
I saw a woman today at the salon and she had a problem with her nails that i have never seen before and would like any advice anyone can give me...
The problem is as far as i can tell is that from the free edge to about a third down the nail it is badly peeling...and when i say badly i mean...BADLY.
She doesnt wear enhancements but did years ago, and her nails are slightly yellow too.
She says it has happened for years now and no one has been able to help her not even a doctor!
To me it looks like it is a product allergy but hey i am proberbly wrong!
I will be scanning my books i have for any answers before she comes in to see me again in two weeks but would appreaciate any help from my fellow geeks.
Thanks in advance...x

Im sorry I really cant give any help.

Just wondered if the lady was a bad nail bitter or a picker?

I have seen this condition on older clients sometimes. The nail plate looks kind of waxy and peels in chunks.

Enhancements are good on these type of nails. But if she wants to stay natural, then suggest Toughen UP. This product is made for this type of condition as it encourages the layers to cross link for more strength.

She will not have a product allergy from years ago ... allergies take a long time to start and actually are quite rare.

Alex...no she is not a biter or picker...

Gigi...Sorry what i meant as an allergy was to the products she uses now maybe containing formaldehyde?...also can formaldehyde cause yellow of the natural nail?...also how long can a client use toughen up for? is this a short term treatment or a natural aid that can be used as needed?

Deni said:

Gigi...Sorry what i meant as an allergy was to the products she uses now maybe containing formaldehyde?...also can formaldehyde cause yellow of the natural nail?...also how long can a client use toughen up for? is this a short term treatment or a natural aid that can be used as needed?
Formaldehyde can definitely cause yellowing of the nail plate surface.

Toughen up will not cure what is already flaking and loose, but used on a regular basis it will make a difference to new flaking getting started. It will take a month or so and regular manicures to grow out the affected area before you see the difference in the new nail that has all its layers.

You can always use ToughenUp as a Base coat, but the treatment (ie every few days) should not be carried on for longer than it is needed. You will be able to tell when to stop the treatment when the new nail grows through and yousee it is working.

Deni said:

Formaldehyde can cause yellowing of the nail......... so can wearing red or heavily pigmented enamel and no base coat...........

Toughen up should be used until the natural nail looks fab again, then switch over to stickey...I read in Dougs notes that Sticky is basicaly Toughen Up with out the DMU........ Use Solar oil regularly to maintain the moisture level in the nail............

HTH

Thank you so much for your quick reply and help Gigi...i will tell her asap so she can start the treatment...she is due in to see me in two weeks as she doesnt live in my area but after having a treatment with me has decided to come and see me every two weeks when she is down visiting family...hey is my head suitably swollen...lol
Thanks again...x

Latest posts

Back