Nail problems during chemo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne7174

Reaction score
Has anyone had a client who has had problems with their natural nails whilst having chemo? My mother in law is currently havin chemo for breast cancer and along with all the other awful side effects her natural nails have become very painfull. She has been told there is a possibility of losing them ! apparently the just lift from the lunula and fall off anyone had this and how do you deal with it ?

I also have a client with this problem and her consultant said its a side effect, I advised her to soak them all off until her treatment is over. I did this and her nails have a bruising colour on them, and her toe nails are the same.
She said tey feel "sore" and so I would advise you to do the same, these drugs have nasty side effects and because there white bloods are low(which fight infection) theres a chance she might get an infection.

Hope this helps

Sonia

Has anyone had a client who has had problems with their natural nails whilst having chemo? My mother in law is currently havin chemo for breast cancer and along with all the other awful side effects her natural nails have become very painfull. She has been told there is a possibility of losing them ! apparently the just lift from the lunula and fall off anyone had this and how do you deal with it ?
i did not know that chemo can effect your nails....your poor mother in law....i have never had client who is on chemo ....just wanted to say a speedy recovery to your mother in law xxxx:hug:

Thanks for your comments . My mother in law has never had enhancements on just has a manicure every so often . I have cut them very short today to avois catching them and causing more pain.

Hi my Mum has this problem too so I just place L&P enhancements over them as they are too painful for her otherwise,

but they haven't had any lifting from the lunula as yet :eek: , but ill keep my eye on them though ,

I couldn't do gel overlays because of the heat spike on her paper thin nails and the UV rays are a no no too ,
but the L&P does help her a lot :hug: x

My mum has regular chemo and she did have lots of problems with her nails. I get her to use solar oil regularly and she has a manicure every fortnight when i apply toughen up 2 coats of polish and a top coat. She is never without polish and i think this helps give a little extra strength. Her nails look really nice now but they have taken some work. I did apply l & p to begin with but unfortunately everytime she knocked one it would bruise really badly so we decided to take them off and look after her own nails. Her toe nails are really bad but unfortunately she wont let me or anyone else near them. HTH

! apparently the just lift from the lunula and fall off anyone had this and how do you deal with it ?

One of my friends (and client) is currently undergoing chemo, her nails have suffered really badly but they've become separated at the hypernychium end and it's travelling up the nail bed. So far she hasn't lost any completely, but I'm not sure if that's more down to luck, they look so painful, and she says they catch at lot, so we keep them really short.

Best wishes to your MIL :hug:

Latest posts

Back