Nail quiz

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
what do all you geeks think about us starting a nail quiz?

i think it would be a good way to get all sorts of knowledge across.

for example ..

question : what is the nail plate cells made from?

answer : keratin.

now if you're going to post can you be sure to check first that you have your facts right..(coming from me , who doesn't know her acids from her alkalines)

what do you all think?

I likely! Good way to stay sharp and learn something new :D

go on then Lee get the ball rolling... ask a question. next geek interested can answer and you can heart it if it's right and on it goes.
:D

Name the 5 stages of nail growth!

Now, I'm hoping I get most of this right so go easy on me!!

Cell mitosis happens in the matrix. New cells are keratinised and are pushed along the nail bed until a free edge is formed???

Lets not forget the hornification, cannot miss out a word like hornification can we!

Hornification of the cells also happens to another part of the human body, what is it? :D

Now that's a new word to me?! Tell me more... Haha!

???

Last edited:
ok i didn't know this so had to look it up

1. cell mitosis at the matrix
2.new cells pushed forward by constant reproduction
3.keratinisation
4.growing nail is guided by grooves/side walls
5. free edge forms at distal end of finger

what is the only grit abrasive that should be used on the natural nail?

What is the purpose of the hyphonichium? Hope I've spelt it right lol

What is the purpose of the hyphonichium? Hope I've spelt it right lol

Hyponychium Is where nail meets skin and provides waterproof barrier..

What are the 6 main components that a nail is made up of?

Hyponychium Is where nail meets skin and provides waterproof barrier..

What are the 6 main components that a nail is made up of?

Ok gotta have a go.

Matrix
Eponychium
Lunula
Paronychial edge
Nail plate
Hyponychium

Can I have a gold star or have I failed xx. (brilliant idea btw)

What is the name for white spots which are sometimes present on the nail, some people would say that it is due to lack of calcium?

What is the name for white spots which are sometimes present on the nail, some people would say that it is due to lack of calcium?

Leukonychia, me thinks :lol:

Let's keep the ball rolling!

What's the technical name for true cuticle (the dead bits that's ok to nip off)?

What's the technical name for true cuticle (the dead bits that's ok to nip off)?[/QUOTE]

Cuticle

What is the difference between a nail disease and a nail disorder ??

Leukonychia, me thinks :lol:
Leukonychia spots. Clusters of nail cells that have not gone through the flattening and hardening process. Usually through trauma to the matrix (example being aggressive manicuring)

Leukonychia (true) looks either like an all white or solid white banded nail. Usually a genetic condition. Sometimes from serious internal conditions (such as heavy metal poisoning)
Very rare to see this condition

What's the technical name for true cuticle (the dead bits that's ok to nip off)?

Eponychium
Technical name for cuticle is: Cuticle - the non living tissue that forms the seal between the new nail plate and eponychium (skin fold) the cuticle sheds from the eponychium as it grows (rolls over) towards the finger. However the cuticle is so sticky it easily stays adhere pd to the nail plate beyond the eponychium - at this point it is safe to remove

Eponychium - the fold of living tissue that covers the nail matrix and should never be cut into

Pterygium - often reffered to as true cuticle is intact not related. It is medically defined as a 'any abnormal, winglike structure of skin'
This condition occurs in many parts of the body including the eye.
When discussing nails it is used to describe the condition of a nail where the matrix or eponychium has fused to the nail plate - damaging the plate and dragging living tissue across the plate and bed structure.
This should NEVER be cut as it is living scar tissue

Hths

To keep the game going:
What is the average thickness (number of layers) in,
A fingernail?
A toenail?

100 layers in a fingernail??

100 approx in fingernail and 150 approx in toe nail xx

To keep it going...

What is Habit tic? xx

To keep it going...

What is Habit tic? xx

It is a habitual picking or playing or stroking of the fingernail. (I have it and don't even know I'm doing it).

What is paronychia ?

Latest posts

Back