Nail reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynsey ann

Reaction score
Hi all , I've used the gel bottle now for the past 3 years , never a problem !! However I developed a reaction to it , mostly on my right hand , I really don't want to give up and feel not having nails done isn't a good advertisement , please can anyone help with a new product that lasts as long that I can wear/use and best gloves or procedures to work with X thankyou in advance

My brother developed a career ending, very ugly, and painful sores due to a reaction on his right also after 15 years as a nail tech. He was VERY good at what he did. And he made upwards of 60-70k a year in the US. The salon that he worked for used VERY cheap products. A bottle of gel polish with its nail polish counterpart was almost 1.5 times cheaper than a small bottle of Shellac. Surprisingly though, these products got the job done. But of course at the cost of the techs health and livelihood. So you decide for yourself just how important watching out for your health is.

The time it takes for allergies is different for everyone BUT its only a matter of time before it develops. There's things you can do to minimize this problem:

(1)Buy products made by a good company. I personally recommend CND. I've done a ton of research into this company. I can't speak on other companies because I haven't looked into their product but I would be hesitant to use them. CND is a l ot more expensive though. But if you are serious about nails and want your career to last long, I highly recommend CND.
(2)Gloves - I recommend nitrile gloves. These are also more expensive than your run of the mill latex gloves. It will also help prevent allergies from latex. I recommend the thickness to be around 5-6 mils. But you can always test the thickness for how you see fit. Thicker gloves are good for pedicures but harder to work with when doing acrylics. Its better to work with gloves rather than show off your nails because you have to save your skin. Clients don't mind.

Even with the best products, you have to know what you are doing, or else you can still develop allergies. With CND, you have to use everything within their system. You can't use mix and match different brands. This even goes for the LED lamp.

Last edited:
Thankyou so
much for your reply , this really helps , even with gloves do you recommend I use different products for clients just never in myself ?? X

Thankyou so
much for your reply , this really helps , even with gloves do you recommend I use different products for clients just never in myself ?? X

can you clarify this question a bit more?

can you clarify this question a bit more?
Hi yes sorry , so ...do I need to change products if I'm wearing gloves masks ect , and if I never use on myself again only the clients xx

Hi yes sorry , so ...do I need to change products if I'm wearing gloves masks ect , and if I never use on myself again only the clients xx

Try to prevent touching any of the product with your bare skin. Wipe down your table with soap and water to remove any traces of gel residue and powder from the acrylics. Try to buy the long sleeved nitrile gloves if you can.

What you are trying to do is prevent any and all skin contact. These products contain allergic ingredients, it floats in the air when you do acrylics/gels, which may land on your clothes/skin.

Try all those things and see how your skin is after a couple of weeks. If the reaction comes back, its probably best to switch. If the allergy is very bad, all it takes is one small piece of acrylic powder to touch your skin and a reaction will occur.

Try to prevent touching any of the product with your bare skin. Wipe down your table with soap and water to remove any traces of gel residue and powder from the acrylics. Try to buy the long sleeved nitrile gloves if you can.

What you are trying to do is prevent any and all skin contact. These products contain allergic ingredients, it floats in the air when you do acrylics/gels, which may land on your clothes/skin.

Try all those things and see how your skin is after a couple of weeks. If the reaction comes back, its
probably best to switch. If the allergy is very bad, all it takes is one small piece of acrylic powder to touch your skin and a reaction will occur.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply

Latest posts

Back