Nail ripped off quite low

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma193

Reaction score
I've caught my nail and ripped part of it off quite low down, about 1/3 of the way down. It's so so sore and I've currently got it covered with a plaster and so worried about removing this plaster and leaving it exposed. Any ideas about what I can do to protect it until it grows back? X

As long as its not actively bleeding I would actually tip it. Apply cuticle oil to the exposed flesh so glue will not stick to it and apply the tip obv much lower down than normal. I'd keep the tip no longer than the end of the finger, then just overlay

Sounds orrible xx

:S ouch! I did that about a month ago but it was an acrylic that got caught in a door and took my nail half off with it :S i tipped it, waited a week or so to get bit of growth on it and then removed tip and shellaced them. The nail shot up within the 2 weeks the shellac was on and now its perfectly normal again :) horrible feeling tho, i hope it gets better soon :)
xx

I've got one like that and it was very sore, I put gel on it and it will grow out x

It's in such a bad spot, it's horrible! I may do that, apply a tip after a its had a few days to heal and try and salvage it. Thank you ladies x

Argghh the gel has split....looks like I'll have to tip it lol will wait til tomorrow as I'm shattered!xx

I hope you manage to salvage yours. Would covering with a tip and gel be ok as it wouldn't be getting any air to it? Xx

Hi guys. Client just text me this pic. Ripped L&P off in door. I've advised increasing SolarOil but any ideas about making it aesthetically pleasing until it grows out? I offer Shellac, L&P etc but no gel or fibreglass. Any help or experience appreciated x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335350804.037301.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335350804.037301.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 6,341
Hi guys. Client just text me this pic. Ripped L&P off in door. I've advised increasing SolarOil but any ideas about making it aesthetically pleasing until it grows out? I offer Shellac, L&P etc but no gel or fibreglass. Any help or experience appreciated x

Ooh that looks SO sore !

If she normally wears l&p then you can replace it but just be really careful when filing as it looks as though there has been quite a bit of natural nail ripped off too.

I've done this to myself and the l&p acts like a bandage, as long as your PREP is good then it will protect the natural nail while it is re-growing.

hth x

i would put some silk on first then as the wound is exposed and you dont want product in it x

Sorry no advice but OUCH!!

Ooh really L&P can be applied to it and it will still heal? I was wondering whether there needs to be air getting to it for it to heal correctly?

I have no experience with silk? Xx

As a Massage Therapist that injury would put me out of business for a few weeks! Hope you find a fix and hope it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks like it does!! ;(

i would put some silk on first then as the wound is exposed and you dont want product in it x

Wouldn't you still ahve to apply resin first tho?

Can't tell fully from the pic but is the nail bed itself actually exposed or does it still have some layers of nail plate over it?

I think it's right down to the bed?!

Then as long as it isn't an open, sore wound then you should be able to apply product.

I remember someone (maybe PeterPan) showed how to apply L&P to someone who had lost their nail - it is possible and like I said before providing you follow proper PREP then it should be fine. I've built up many half missing nails before so that you would never know the difference :) Its common practice especially on the big toe!

i personally would put a piece of silk over and then apply gel and then carry on as normal, this way i am not filing anymore on the natural nail, this may not last that long as the damage is so severe but if you kept doing until the damge had healed it bit.

do you have any silk, always good to keep some in, it lasts forever!!! you said you dont do gel maybe you could try shellac but not sure.

i would make sure you use a cotton bud to clean around the wound and not on it and not to put any chemicals on it. YOu dont want to cause an infection.

hope this helps xx

Am i the only person who wouldnt touch this nail!? Looks like the nail bed is exposed and damaged, any kind of chemicals like l+p or resin and silk would cause alot of pain while its so raw. Ive had similar myself and all i could do was wait for it to grow out. Maybe im wrong, i am still training and have alot to learn, but could someone explain how using an overlay in this instance WOULDN'T cause further damage? I undertand it would offer a fragile nail abit of extra protection but how would it actually help the nail to HEAL!?

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Am i the only person who wouldnt touch this nail!? Looks like the nail bed is exposed and damaged, any kind of chemicals like l+p or resin and silk would cause alot of pain while its so raw. Ive had similar myself and all i could do was wait for it to grow out. Maybe im wrong, i am still training and have alot to learn, but could someone explain how using an overlay in this instance WOULDN'T cause further damage? I undertand it would offer a fragile nail abit of extra protection but how would it actually help the nail to HEAL!?

This is my thinking too?! I didn't think I would be able to cover it?!

Then as long as it isn't an open, sore wound then you should be able to apply product.

This is my thinking too?! I didn't think I would be able to cover it?!

As I said before - as long as it isn't an open sore wound.
If the nail bed is exposed and raw then obviously you would have to wait until that had healed. But you dont have to wait until the damage has grown out to apply product.

Latest posts

Back