Nail stamping - which polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Hi all. I have just purchased a nail stamper and thought I would give it a go last night.
I thought I could just use a Gelish colour, stamp and cure but the Gelish dried within a second on the plate and so could not stamp. I tried with a normal OPI polish and this did the same. Do I need to use special polish with the stampers? Xx

Hi all. I have just purchased a nail stamper and thought I would give it a go last night.
I thought I could just use a Gelish colour, stamp and cure but the Gelish dried within a second on the plate and so could not stamp. I tried with a normal OPI polish and this did the same. Do I need to use special polish with the stampers? Xx

Hi!

I swear by the Konad special polishes - the formula is thick and opaque and made for image stamping plates.

Hth xx

Barry m foil polish works great. Only downside is they only have few colours. Gold, silver, lilac. Only the foil ones though ! X

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek mobile app

I second konad and barry m. I also suggest a-england polishes, they stamp really well. Anything that is opaque in one coat normally works great :)

I just got my stamping stuff last night. I didn't buy the konad special polishes. I tried using Shellac, but it was too sheer. I used Vinylux and it worked well. I also used some cheaper polish I keep around for nail art. That seemed to work the best. The brand is Verity.

Hi I found the saffron London worked really well, its a big bottle and just £2 ish on eBay also have loads of colours

I use the Konad polishes. Also I use a plastic scraper or a credit card to swipe...the little metal strip one that's made for them scratches the plate.

Sally Hansen fast dry works just as well too. I only use those for my stamps

Hi all, me again!!
I now have the konad polishes but seems to be doing the same!! :-( could it be the plates as I don't think these were genuine konad plates as were only a few ££ on eBay :-/ xx

I've brought some konad ones and some ones from poundland and they both work so perhaps is the varnish I'm not to sure. I use my old opi varnishes that have gone gloopy so you can't use them to paint nails with but on the stampers they work great. Hope this helps :) let me know how you get on x

I tried the China glaze they seem to work.

You can use any polish which is opaque after one coat - old polishes therefore often work. Most metalic polishes - Barry M foil effects or Stargazer Chromes are good - these are in fact better than the Konad Special polish in silver or gold! Barry M Chamelion polishes also work. I've had success with Vinylux Grape Gum and Gilded Pleasure.

Generally gel polish won't work - but some time ago there was a picture where someone had succeded with Shellac - Iced Cappuccino.

Hope this helps

Hi all, me again!!
I now have the konad polishes but seems to be doing the same!! :-( could it be the plates as I don't think these were genuine konad plates as were only a few ££ on eBay :-/ xx

You may be having trouble with your stamper - sometimes shiney new ones dont pick up images v. well. Try buffing it gently with a 240 grit file and then try again:)

You may be having trouble with your stamper - sometimes shiney new ones dont pick up images v. well. Try buffing it gently with a 240 grit file and then try again:)

Thanks will give that a go. If not will pay out for a proper konad set I think. It's true what they say.. Buy cheap buy twice!! :-/ xx

Thanks will give that a go. If not will pay out for a proper konad set I think. It's true what they say.. Buy cheap buy twice!! :-/ xx

You have to work really quickly too, literally slap polish on the image scrape, pick it up and roll on to the nail. You should be doing all of that in less than 30seconds otherwise the polish dries on the plate or stamper and it won't work x

Tried buffing the stamper and I work quick. Within 5secs it's dried :-( I think they are knock off plates as the indentation isn't very deep so think I may just pay out for another set but make sure it is proper Konad lol! Thanks for all your help geeks :) xx

Hi All,
I've just bought a plate and stamp (not Konad) and I can't get the polish to stick to the plate, it just comes off with the scaper?! Is this because of the nail polish too? It's china glaze I've tried. All the other problems above seem to be getting the design onto the nail and I can seem to get a design at all lol. :o

have you checked there is not a clear plastic over the foil, i know it seems silly but sometimes its barely visible either that or give both the plate and stamp a good clean with polish remover, problem with unofficial products are the ridges are not very deep so can not give such good results.

Lololol Nail Delights, you are a star and I'm a prize tit! Yes there was a film over the plate! How hilarious! Thanks so much.
I completely deserve the Newbie Geek title :o
Jo

Lololol Nail Delights, you are a star and I'm a prize tit! Yes there was a film over the plate! How hilarious! Thanks so much.
I completely deserve the Newbie Geek title :o
Jo

i can guarantee
you are not the first and certainly will not be the last to be caught out by this search for it its happened hundreds of times enjoy xx

Latest posts

Back