Nail station rent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
morning geeks...

i posted a few weeks back about being offered a nail station,

so i have had an interview with the salon manager and the salon owner, both seemed very nice and said they will support me in growing my clientele, the salon is only 18months old its very very nicely done and looks clean, very modern and well just gorgeously brilliant haha. they will be advertising me on there website and out the shop front on an A board (the salon is in an great location very central in a busy town centre). they are happy for me to come and greet all there hair clients and give a free file/massage and hand them a card... they want to include me in their staff meetings because allthough im not employed we are still all working as team which benefits us all. and another plus they are moving the nail station downstairs so the hair clients can actually see us :D even better for advertising ourselves.

the tech that is already there (a friend of mine) is always fully booked and has been like this for years now, so all walk ins will be mine (they turn a fair few away and i will be the only tech doing acrylics as the other tech is gel only and i do both). and the salon manager said the tech and herself will help me in anyway possible they understand i've only been doing this for just over a year and said this will be great for me to have an experienced tech to work along the side of :)

I provide my own towels/products but the table/chairs are supplied and i get the use of all salon facilities toilets, drinks machine, decked outside smoking area for clients (reception bring clients upstairs to book with us direct) shared advertising on our A board and in salon posters via a rota system.

thr rent is £200 per month plus £40 VAT (£240 all in)
all in all im sooo excited, but have i got rose tinted glasses on? can any 1 else spot an issue that i havent??

i plan on being there 5days a week tuesday-saturday, when i have no clients in i wil walking the high street handing out leaflets with a offer on (better than sitting twiddling thumbs) my youngest daughter will be at nursery on four of these days and hubby has saturdays off so she will be with him then. its all so exciting but scary too... any advice on being ready and making it a smooth transition would be great :)

thanks for reading and sorry its an essay ;)
x x x

i run a shop and we have a separate salon upstairs, this to sounds like a good deal and a great opportunity, i would make sure you have a get out clause though and don't sign yourself into a long contract just in case but i think in a few months you will have yourself a wonderful client base.

good luck x

I have asked for a 3 month contract to start then after that it will be a year.

Thanks for your advice and well wishes =)

I have asked for a 3 month contract to start then after that it will be a year.

Thanks for your advice and well wishes =)

sounds like you have thought it all through well and know what to expect so im sure it will all go brilliantly

Congratulations ! It sounds like a nice set up there and they are not being greedy.

I did not know that VAT was applicable to rent though! :eek:

Two things I have thought about (if you feel you can still negotiate) is a sliding rent for the first three months and a 'cap' on the rent for 2 years.

The sliding rent works so that you pay for example 100 the first month, 150 the 2nd month and reach your 200 the third month, so you can build up with your growing client base. I wouldn't make it a 'deal breaker' but it might be worth asking.

I was caught out many years ago when renting, when as soon as the salon owner saw I was getting busy, he jacked up the rent immediately ... An agreement to put a cap on your rental for a decent period of time would be good.

That side of things being taken care of, the only potential area where I see that there could be problems is between you and the other technician. You have been doing nails for a year ... Don't be tempted to always defer to the other technician as if she is your superior/or boss ... Be your own person and do your own thing ...

Often colleagues are not the best source of knowledge having slid into bad habits, or they have previously bad mouthed a product or system you might use, because they don't use it themselves or they have not kept up with their on-going education ... IOW they do not always know best and experience does not always make someone the better nail technician. You need to establish that just because you are new to the salon, does not necessarily put you lower on the totem pole!

Good luck ... You sound well organised and I LOVE that you are going for it full time and because of that you will be successful. You have a great attitude! :hug:

Some good points,

Yes VAT is applicable on rent if the person you pay rent to is VAT registered, i pay VAT on my rent and my sub tenant pays me VAT on her rent

Eeeekkk thanks for taking the time to reply =D

I didn't think about the sliding rent or capping but they are good things to ask about, I have already set a start date etc but still worth an ask.

With regards to the other tech I'll take on board everything you noted :)

I'm now super duper excited and can't wait to start... I have salon geek to thank for all the help and support over the last year, its really a fab site and I would not have got to where I am today if wasn't for all hours spent on here lol! and no doubt there will be many more

I imagine you have already started now, hope it's going well.:lol:
I am about to advertise for a nail tech, and was wondering if you were given a contract or terms to sign - I'm trying to think of what to include - can anyone help?? x

I imagine you have already started now, hope it's going well.:lol:
I am about to advertise for a nail tech, and was wondering if you were given a contract or terms to sign - I'm trying to think of what to include - can anyone help?? x
A contract is something you work out together with your renter or prospective employee. You sit down, Talk through the things you both expect of each other ... Give and take ... Write it down and sign. Obviously there are general things common to most salon contracts. ... I think if you google it, you may find some examples but please be flexible on some things ... A new nail tech needs a bit of a helping hand at first.

Latest posts

Back