Nail strengtheners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsXpress

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nail strengthener for clients to use at home. I have one client who’s nails are awful. She won’t stop wearing acrylics to let them get better. Now she is going to soak them off herself due to lockdown and has asked for a strengthener she can use at home. Any recommendations? I use a professional strengthener and repairer in the salon but they can’t do it themselves at home.

Can anyone recommend a nail strengthener for clients to use at home. I have one client who’s nails are awful. She won’t stop wearing acrylics to let them get better. Now she is going to soak them off herself due to lockdown and has asked for a strengthener she can use at home. Any recommendations? I use a professional strengthener and repairer in the salon but they can’t do it themselves at home.

My favourite over the counter suggestion are any of the Sally Hanson range, the green one is good, I can't remember what it's called, I'll check...

Triple Strong is good but only in the short term, over use can cause brittleness, but it's the quick win you need for clients in a tough position.

Longer term Nail Envy is also good. Ultimately, long term a good quality cuticle oil and hand cream

Last edited:
Hi. Does your client own pets? If so, please be sure to use a non-toxic. If an animal breathes in anything else, they can suffer serious side effects. I recommend Ella & Milla. Nonetheless, if she has no animals I would highly recommended OPI Nail Envy. It works wonders if you put one layer on per day. Heck, these lockdowns are gonna mutilate a lot of pretty hands. GASPP.

Hi. Does your client own pets? If so, please be sure to use a non-toxic.

All nail products are toxic to some level (to humans and all life) and especially so if not handled and used correctly. That said I've never come across a product specifically toxic to pets. Do you have evidence you can show me of this claim? I can only see any potential issues with uncared products (acrylic, gel or gel polish) and how a pet would come in contact with those seems no more of a risk than anyone else.

Are you saying OPI Nail Envy shouldn't be worn by people with pets?

How is Nail Envy any more dangerous than any other strengthener product?

OPI Nail Envy is always the one I recommend. They do them in shiny and matte finish, as well as nude colours x

I’ve used Zoya in the US since it went on the market in the mid 80’s. I’m not sure what is available in the UK, but I think that all of the products are very good. On par with other more well known professional brands.

When we went into lockdown in my area of the US, I sold GELIE-CURE kits to clients. It is an at home Demi-gel product and travel size lamp that they could use after removal of acrylic or hard gel. GELIE-CURE is part of the Naked Manicure line,

It gives a nice thin coat that protects while the nail is trying to normalize. It was formulated to transition after acrylics and was it ever a blessing. All the clients who bought the kit were able to use it correctly and they were grateful to have something to help them.

As an aside, each year Zoya celebrates Earth Day by taking any and all of your unwanted, half used polish, disposing of it properly and giving you 2 for 1, or 50% off new polishes.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I was going to say either Nail Envy or Sally Hansen for her but just wondered if there were any others I hadn’t heard of. I’ll get her sorted. Thank you again. You’re very kind.

All nail products are toxic to some level (to humans and all life) and especially so if not handled and used correctly. That said I've never come across a product specifically toxic to pets. Do you have evidence you can show me of this claim? I can only see any potential issues with uncared products (acrylic, gel or gel polish) and how a pet would come in contact with those seems no more of a risk than anyone else.

Are you saying OPI Nail Envy shouldn't be worn by people with pets?

How is Nail Envy any more dangerous than any other strengthener product?

Interesting questions there, Trinity. I would be glad to explain further. My partner is a veterinarian, and you are correct, simply wearing the polish in your home would not be toxic to your little fur babies. It is the fumes released. Too many people who apply nail polish or use acetone at home do not do so in a ventilated area. If they were to, yes, they can use it. However, I do not believe in the good nature of people and if they own pets urge them to use 10-free.

https://www.dvm360.com/view/are-pets-risk-secondary-exposure-nail-polish-toxinshttps://www.animalfriends.co.uk/blo...finitive-guide-to-poisons-in-the-home-garden/
It has happened that a cat came in with rapid breathing when a person over exposed them to acetone and nail chemicals. The more you know. :)

Interesting questions there, Trinity. I would be glad to explain further. My partner is a veterinarian, and you are correct, simply wearing the polish in your home would not be toxic to your little fur babies. It is the fumes released. Too many people who apply nail polish or use acetone at home do not do so in a ventilated area. If they were to, yes, they can use it. However, I do not believe in the good nature of people and if they own pets urge them to use 10-free.

https://www.dvm360.com/view/are-pets-risk-secondary-exposure-nail-polish-toxinshttps://www.animalfriends.co.uk/blo...finitive-guide-to-poisons-in-the-home-garden/
It has happened that a cat came in with rapid breathing when a person over exposed them to acetone and nail chemicals. The more you know. :)

Cracking quote in the first article 🤣:-

Pet owners shouldn’t be concerned either, although Dr. Lee shares this for the overly cautious ones: “Spare your pet the shame and don’t paint your nails to be on the safe side.”

To be fair if you are the kind of person to paint your pets nails...I suspect any kind of advice like this is going to fall on deaf ears anyway 🤪

I think they're slightly over dramatic articles, of course chemicals are toxic to pets, if care and common sense are not used. I suppose that's where I fall down...expecting common sense from people. It seems sadly lacking in many.

Cracking quote in the first article 🤣:-

To be fair if you are the kind of person to paint your pets nails...I suspect any kind of advice like this is going to fall on deaf ears anyway 🤪

I think they're slightly over dramatic articles, of course chemicals are toxic to pets, if care and common sense are not used. I suppose that's where I fall down...expecting common sense from people. It seems sadly lacking in many.

My partner has seen it all. He had a patient come in with her cat, and was doing all sorts of nail procedures as the cats were running amok. Of course, she was constantly painting and removing with acetone so she asked him if it could be that the house reeked of nail products. No, duh, lady. Cat came in with toxic shock because she didn't do it in a private room or open some damn windows. People are all sorts of stupid. Also, these days people are down right neorotics. I do not trust anyone with chemicals that can hurt their pets right now. For Heaven's sake, we got morons painting their pets nails. Insanity this world has become. There's really no difference between the OPI Nail Envy at the 10-free products, so I always make the suggestion if someone owns pets for this reason.

I personally recommend the OPI Nail envy. My favourite shades that they do is one called "bubble-bath" and "Hawaiian Orchid"

Latest posts

Back