Nail tech advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
I've got a salon and I'm looking into the possibility of renting space to a nail tech, first off because a lot of clients have been asking for this service and secondly because it's more income for the salon.

So my questions are simple, what's the going rate for renting space? Is it normal that they supply everything ? I'm willing to allow them to use my landline that I've got installed for salon, also how is best to go about finding a good quality nail tech?

I've got a salon and I'm looking into the possibility of renting space to a nail tech, first off because a lot of clients have been asking for this service and secondly because it's more income for the salon.

So my questions are simple, what's the going rate for renting space? Is it normal that they supply everything ? I'm willing to allow them to use my landline that I've got installed for salon, also how is best to go about finding a good quality nail tech?

Hi there, you can advertise on salon geek, also beauty guild and the normal local stuff like friday adds etc. But honestly the first place I would advertise is on the window of your salon.
Please, please have a written contract. All to often we have salon owners and nail techs on here very bitter at moving on, mostly over the who the clients belong to as the issue.
So if you are happy to say the nail clients will be the techs if she moves on, get it in writing, if not, get it in writing:D
Rent, that depends on where you are, it can be anything from £60 a week to £100 a day.
For a new tech with no clients the way to help them build would be to say rather than rent for the first 6 months you want a %
If the tech is supplying all their own stock, 25% of what they make is a fair amount, then after 6 months you can review together and work out what would be a fair rent worked on the avarage figure from the % for the last 6 months.
If you are supplying all the products than 40 to 50% for you would be a better rate.
For that, I as a nail tech would expect to be able to keep a copy of my diary at the salon, so that when I'm busy or not there your staff can take my bookings, I would need you to call me when you take bookings not wait until I come in because I too would be taking bookings for myself, this would also mean I would call the salon when I needed to update you.
I would want to be able to use your card machine, the way this has worked for me in the past was my customer would pay by card and I would be given the cash from the till.
I had an envelope in the safe and at the end of every day I would put the salons 25% in there.
The salon should put the tech on their web site, if they have one and a nice poster in the window is a big help, even when the tech has a table sat at the window it's amazing how many people say they didn't realise there was a nail tech there until they saw the poster:rolleyes:
From the law side of things you need to be clear as to who is responsible for insurance, it's amazing how many misunderstandings arise because the tech thinks they are covered by the salon and the salon assume the tech has their own insurance.
If you have staff I feel it's important to make it clear that the nail tech is responsible for cleaning their own area and not be on the rota for the salon, bottom line they are self employed, don't get paid sick leave or holiday pay and you are not responsible for them or how they run their business.
Again on this site I have seen many self employed techs become angry when a salon owner or their staff, tries to treat them like an employee instead of another business owner. I'm sure others will be along with advise for you, this is just my experience and my take on how things work.
hth

Wow thank you, thank you, thank you!! This has all been such a great help and read!! Yes I'd be happy to allow them to use card machine, and leave their diary at the salon I'm pretty amacapble, how would working times work? Obviously to begin with I wouldn't be happy to hand alarm code and key over to someone I don't know!

Hi there, you can advertise on salon geek, also beauty guild and the normal local stuff like friday adds etc. But honestly the first place I would advertise is on the window of your salon.
Please, please have a written contract. All to often we have salon owners and nail techs on here very bitter at moving on, mostly over the who the clients belong to as the issue.
So if you are happy to say the nail clients will be the techs if she moves on, get it in writing, if not, get it in writing:D
Rent, that depends on where you are, it can be anything from £60 a week to £100 a day.
For a new tech with no clients the way to help them build would be to say rather than rent for the first 6 months you want a %
If the tech is supplying all their own stock, 25% of what they make is a fair amount, then after 6 months you can review together and work out what would be a fair rent worked on the avarage figure from the % for the last 6 months.
If you are supplying all the products than 40 to 50% for you would be a better rate.
For that, I as a nail tech would expect to be able to keep a copy of my diary at the salon, so that when I'm busy or not there your staff can take my bookings, I would need you to call me when you take bookings not wait until I come in because I too would be taking bookings for myself, this would also mean I would call the salon when I needed to update you.
I would want to be able to use your card machine, the way this has worked for me in the past was my customer would pay by card and I would be given the cash from the till.
I had an envelope in the safe and at the end of every day I would put the salons 25% in there.
The salon should put the tech on their web site, if they have one and a nice poster in the window is a big help, even when the tech has a table sat at the window it's amazing how many people say they didn't realise there was a nail tech there until they saw the poster:rolleyes:
From the law side of things you need to be clear as to who is responsible for insurance, it's amazing how many misunderstandings arise because the tech thinks they are covered by the salon and the salon assume the tech has their own insurance.
If you have staff I feel it's important to make it clear that the nail tech is responsible for cleaning their own area and not be on the rota for the salon, bottom line they are self employed, don't get paid sick leave or holiday pay and you are not responsible for them or how they run their business.
Again on this site I have seen many self employed techs become angry when a salon owner or their staff, tries to treat them like an employee instead of another business owner. I'm sure others will be along with advise for you, this is just my experience and my take on how things work.
hth

Very thorough! Great job! :)

Wow thank you, thank you, thank you!! This has all been such a great help and read!! Yes I'd be happy to allow them to use card machine, and leave their diary at the salon I'm pretty amacapble, how would working times work? Obviously to begin with I wouldn't be happy to hand alarm code and key over to someone I don't know!

I think that's fair enough, working hours would have to be the same as yours and over time if there was a demand for it you could work out a late evening or some such.
Normally the problem, if there is going to be one, would be with a new tech who isn't busy, it's so hard to sit there waiting for the clients to pop in.
You start to think of all the things you could be doing, things that need doing and you are sat there not earning a single penny. I remember a couple of years ago a tech on here who had paid for her own salon, she couldn't understand why she wasn't busy, but it was actually her fault. Half an hour of no customers and up went her closed sign and she was of.
As I'm sure you know, the tech will have to stick to the hours she's said she'll be there no matter what and you can help there by telling her all the things she can be doing to promote her business, I used to paint my nail art boards or re do my own nails, that fascinates customers, seeing a tech do their wrong hand! I also used to design my poster of the week to put on the A board out side the salon, not a special offer as such, just promoting something that the nail bars don't do, like rock star toes.
I was also likely to make coffee or start serving at the retail counter, but that's just me, I can't stand sitting still, drives me crazy lol

Would it be out of order for me to request whomever I have in, provides there own nail bar? Or would it be best for me to provide? X

hth

Wow!! You just answered alot of questions I have been trying to find the answers to. :D

Would it be out of order for me to request whomever I have in, provides there own nail bar? Or would it be best for me to provide? X

Depends how much control you want over the aesthetics of the nail area. They can come in all shapes and sizes...and colours xx

Latest posts

Back