Nail tech coming in to see me to learn Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Now I know there has been a thread on this before but I cannot fid it for love nor money so if you have seen it feel free to send me a link...

I do Shellac very successfully in a very small town. There is also a girl doing Bluesky mobile who claims, as usual, that is is Shellac. Her nails never last, now whether it is her or the product or both I have no idea BUT she has Facebooked me asking to book in for a Shellac Manicure. I know full well she simply wants to come in and see how I do things and I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend an hour with someone questioning me about Shellac when she is working on my doorstep and I have taken every Shellac course there is and paid hard earned money for it as well as spending hours up on hours on here researching.

She doesn't know I know that she does Bluesky and I do not take bookings through Facebook anyhow but what would you do? I think I may tell her I am full.

I seem to remember people saying to just do them as normal and have all of my lotions and potions out to baffle her and to not answer any questions but point her in the direction of an educator. I have a great client base so it's not like I need her one of £25 to get by on a quiet day.

Pffft people frustrate me.

Any help appreciated,

Zooks

I'd just tell her I didn't have any availability or do the treatment as you say without answering any Q's xoxo

Samantha
xoxo
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek iPhone app

Have you responded yet?

If not, then don't...if she ever gets in contact with you any other way, play silly beggars and pretend that you never received her message and that there must've been a "glitch" on Facebook!

The bloody cheek of it! x

I wouldn't book her in. Ive booked in for Shellac before to try it out not to see how to do it but to compare to Gelish but I went quite a few miles away not within competition, she's got a cheek.

No I haven't responded yet.

I was also thinking of ignoring it but I didn't want to come across as rude? I don't want her in but I do advertise on my local selling pages so I guess I can't really tell her I am full and then advertise free appointments!

What if she gets in contact again?!

Argh

Thanks for the replies ladies :)

I was also thinking of ignoring it but I didn't want to come across as rude? I don't want her in but I do advertise on my local selling pages so I guess I can't really tell her I am full and then advertise free appointments!

Argh

I know what you mean about seeming rude, but if you do offer her an appointment and she learns from you, she'll be your direct competition.

Also, how awkward will it be trying to tell her that you're forever fully booked?

I would just avoid it altogether.

Xx

Argh

I would ask her straight out Why she wants to book in with you seeing as she does 'them' herself and see what her response is. If she wants to learn tell her you are not a trainer and it would be inappropriate and unprofessional and to pay for the training like everyone else. Or if she just wants them doing for whatever other reason I would say its your policy not to work on local competiton paying customer or not. I know a salon near me that wont book in other nail techs.

Facebook let's the other person know when you've read the message so she'll know you've read it

Facebook let's the other person know when you've read the message so she'll know you've read it

OMG! Really?! I never knew that...bit stalkerish!

I would ask her straight out Why she wants to book in with you seeing as she does 'them' herself and see what her response is. If she wants to learn tell her you are not a trainer and it would be inappropriate and unprofessional and to pay for the training like everyone else. Or if she just wants them doing for whatever other reason I would say its your policy not to work on local competiton paying customer or not. I know a salon near me that wont book in other nail techs.
I would do exactly the same thing. It is not necessary to lie in order to solve problems such as this one.

Tell her you know who she is and that you have no intention of introducing her to the 'real deal genuine Shellac' or giving her a free lesson in how to apply it; and that if she would like to learn she can go via the normal route just as you did.

If she has the chhek to pull tis trick, then she is not beyond trashing the Shellac manicure herself and then showing it to any clients telling them that Genuine Shellac is rubbish!!! These type of people are frauds and con men. They are not beyond doing anything. Don't worry what she thinks .. it is not worth it. :hug:

Thanks Geeg.

Funnily enough I just had a look on Facebook and we share our local Shellac educator as a friend so I have no idea why she is now using Bluesky.

I don not care that she can see I have read the message. I think perhaps ignoring it is what I will do for a minute. She didn't even mail my business account it was my personal one, why you wouldnt call I have no idea...unless you were planning on being shady I guess.

Just my thoughts on this ....

If she doesn't come to you she will almost certainly go to someone else who does Shellac.

Would it be worth you taking the opportunity to do her nails, baffle her a bit and then you get the chance to eyeball her, question her and tell her only what you want her to know. That way you have some control over the situation as she assumes you don't know who she is and you can steer the conversation.

It might be a chance for you to suss her and relieve her of some cash as well or maybe you might find she is genuine and would take your advice of doing the proper training. If she is determined she will get there in the end with or without your 'help'

I do feel for you though - I think I would want to punch her in the throat but as my mum says "there's more than one way to skin a rabbit" (yes - I know it should be a cat :wink2:

You have the perfect excuse sometimes my Facebook send messages to an others mailbox if they're not in my friends list, I can't access it on my mobile so if you decide not to do it just use that excuse lol

What about I'll do yours, if you do mine. Let her go first lol

Ignore and don't waste a minute more of your precious time xx

Just a thought she may want hers doing properly and professionally then show it off as her work to her clients :o sneaky but wouldn't put it past some people! Ignore her, you don't need her business, let her carry on with whatever rubbish treatment she's doing! Xxx

I agree with this advice. I think she would be shocked that you are so direct, but she might also learn from this. Tell her that as a professional, she should know that it's not the done thing, and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back