Nail tech in training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyLouise456

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to create this thread to get some advice really.. So basically back in 2012 I was doing a level 2 beauty therapy course, but unfortunately didn't end up passing because I fell pregnant and my head was all over the place having to adapt to becoming a mummy, I just lost sight of my goals and focused on the baby.... Anyhow. How that's he's nearly old enough to go to nursery I wanted to get back into beauty and nails. I thought about going back to college but wouldn't be able to get there on time and get my son to nursery on time, then I thought about Sally's courses but with them being over half hour away in car journey I wouldn't be able to get there as I don't drive and don't know my way around those cities from train stations. So I've decided to do an online nail course.. A level technician 3 course (for some reason there as son level 2 :/) so I'll have to do that one at a later date... Weird lol. Anyway, so I know a lot of people will probably object to online course but I have loads of friends and family who will let me practice on them, plus I'm in the process of buying a training hand.

I realise that was quite winded but I was just looking for some advice really in future courses or products to use as a beginner. (I'll be covering acrylics, gels, airbrushing, sculpting, nail art, foil wraps, fibreglass.

I'd rather not read any negative comments about me doing an online course. It is a tempory thing. When I can drive and my son is in full time school I'll go to actuall training sessions in person.

What websites do people buy from? I've found a couple of ones I like but really don't want anything that will cause problems or break the second I use it. I'm not looking at getting top of line products as I'm only starting out and any thing I do buy will be out my own pocket. So I'm looking at mid range but still really good quality.

Sorry for the long post but I'm looking for some positive advice and friendly faces to discuss nail things with as my boyfriend is useless with that haha.

Thankyou x

I'm in your kind of situation too - I don't drive, and I'm also in a part time job. So getting to any of these courses is difficult. I'm actually already qualified in acrylic enhancements from college years ago, and after 16 years in childcare, I wanted a different career so I came back to nails. I'm currently studying with Essential Nails. The support from and guidance from the team is great and they expect a lot from the work you send in, so it's not like you can send in work that you've thrown together and look ok and you pass, if it isn't up to standard, you are asked to resubmit your work. the hand trainer you get with their courses is also really great for training with.

I've recently completed my UV gel polish course and am currently working on my gel tips & overlay course. I've also got the maintenance course, One-stroke nail art course and the acrylic sculpting course to do!

I looked at those essential nail courses, but I chose to go with open study college, of the pure fact I could pay monthly. I can't afford that money all in 1 go. In summer I should hopefully be getting one trust fund money off of my grandma so I think I'm going to use some of that money to do some more courses. At least they have really high standards, you know they aren't messing about. I have 2 units to do before I can start my practical training, but I'm abit confused to what I'm learning tbh. It just says gel enhancements... Does that mean gel polish or hard gel? Haha. One reason I liked this course tho was because I can chose my own brand to work with, allough from reading other comments people like you to train its a certain company, which I can totally see 100% why.
Are you just going to do nails? I think I'm going to do a manicure course and maybe a pedicure course to go with my nails. I'd really like to do waxing too. Loved that in college! I hope your courses go really well for you:) xxx

Hi Amy,

Have you already done a level 2&3 in college?

Hiya! No, I studied level 2 beauty therapy but didn't pass due to having a lot of time off when I got pregnant. And when I was looking for a level 2 nail technician course on open study college, for some reason they didn't have one :/ I realise I skipped a step, but will go back and do the level 2. I might find the assessments a tad difficult due to skipping a step too.

It's all happening in a really funny order lol

Sorry, I totally missed your MASSIVE paragraph at the top - not sure how! I would say make sure they're accredited courses. You don't want to fork out money and then find your qualification means nothing.

Having said that, maybe you could wait it out so you can do it all in the right order. It may be easier that way as you'll have the background knowledge you need.

We'll the course says that at the end if you pass you'll be able to work in a nail bar/ set your own up. What I was thinking was do this level 3 course, and do a small at home buisness... But at the same time do other courses. Such as a manicure course, a level 2 course Haha, and any extra nail courses which I like. Hopefully I'll be able to attend some in person training sessions. Or from any money I can make from running a small at home buisness use that money to put towards an essential nail course... One that is all about beauty and nails.

You can pay the Essential nail courses in installments too hun - they have a 4mth option on the site or u can call them for other options - thats how ive managed to buy all my courses!

Oh right, so if I was to ring up and ask for a loner period of say 12 months, they'd do that? Be good if they will. There's quite a few I'd like to do on their website x

I was thinking about EN course but looking back I am glad i didn't. Would be waste of money in long run . It was hard as it was to try to do everything as good as you can in normal course what's more trying to learn from dvd, can't imagine that.

The EN courses are great, but I'm already qualified in acrylic enhancements so for me, its not something brand new - more brushing up on what i already know - saying that - the courses are actually really good. You get the hand trainer to work on and the dvd, although old, shows you what you need to know and the support from the girls is great - Kerry Benson is someone who trained with EN - if you look at her work - its AMAZING - i think its more a case of you get out of the courses what you put in x

I work full time, I did a bit by bit..
I did manicure course first on a Saturday.. Then save up to do CND shellac 1 day course that was on a Thursday the following month.. Now I'm waiting to start gel overlay and sculptures course (1 day) in 3 weeks time..
I found all these course on beauty guilds so I know these are accredited course and approved by my insurance (I check with them before I pay for the course)
I'm now saving up and looking for pedicure course..
It's better try do "generalise" course rather than brand course so that if you want convert to different brand later on.. You will be covered by insurance.

I work full time, I did a bit by bit..
I did manicure course first on a Saturday.. Then save up to do CND shellac 1 day course that was on a Thursday the following month.. Now I'm waiting to start gel overlay and sculptures course (1 day) in 3 weeks time..
I found all these course on beauty guilds so I know these are accredited course and approved by my insurance (I check with them before I pay for the course)
I'm now saving up and looking for pedicure course..
It's better try do "generalise" course rather than brand course so that if you want convert to different brand later on.. You will be covered by insurance.
Thanks Hun, that's some good advice. I think I might stick this course out and then do courses like you've done. I think next time I'll have to check on beauty guilds for insurable courses as I'm not sure the qualification I get from this course is very well known if at all.. However the course says at the end I'll "be able to set up a nail bar/ get a job" ..which is slightly confusing.

Hey, does your technicians course cover the basics in manicure/pedicure and application of gel polish? The one you're looking to do sounds much more advanced. I think to start with try looking into gel polish courses, that's a good starting point as its one of my most popular treatments. Before finding places to purchase from you need to decide what brand you like. I use Gelish for my gel polish, but you might prefer CND Shellc, OPI, Jessica etc....
The training is one thing but it's the cost of your kit that needs the money. I think I've probably spent a £1000 on all my gel polish equipment. :)

Hey, does your technicians course cover the basics in manicure/pedicure and application of gel polish? The one you're looking to do sounds much more advanced. I think to start with try looking into gel polish courses, that's a good starting point as its one of my most popular treatments. Before finding places to purchase from you need to decide what brand you like. I use Gelish for my gel polish, but you might prefer CND Shellc, OPI, Jessica etc....
The training is one thing but it's the cost of your kit that needs the money. I think I've probably spent a £1000 on all my gel polish equipment. :)

Yep I've spent so much [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

That's not including all the stuff for my other treatments but I try not to think about it lol. I'm my own worse enemy as I see a new colour and just think 'oh I'll have that' ha!

We need it. We need it all

No it's literally just the enhancement side of it, so I'd need to do a manicure and pedicure course too. I've been researching gel polishes and I'm really drawn to madam glam, so might give them a go. But as for
using my hand trainer I, not sure if I really want to spending money on amazing products to use on a plastic hand When I'm confident using the plastic trainer hand, I have some very close family and friends who I can practise on. My plan is to start slowly building my kit up whilst doing the course, and then when I start doing customers use some of that money to buy more products. Thanks for letting me know how much you've spent on your gel polish equip, that's a really helpful insight. :)

Latest posts

Back