Nail tech is just not going to happen

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I'm a qualified nail tech but after my divorce, I'm now a single mum of 4 (3 who live with me).
My ex left me in so much debt (all in my name). I'm on income support as a carer to my autistic son. He's nearly 15 and I had planned to try for a salon based job when he leaves school/starts college.
Although I'm CND trained, I decided I'd do my level 3 nail NVQ ready for starting.
The course funding fell through last week!
I only do my own nails and maybe once every 6 mths a friends if it's a special occasion.
I had a cataract operation 18 mths ago n have to use a magnifying lamp to do nails as I have no close up vision, but I thought, hey ho I'll get by....
Today the optician said my vision has worsened, the operated eye has fibres growing n I need another op but I'll also need the other eye doing as it has a cataract coming.
I'll have NO close up vision n basically my eyesight is what is it :(
FED UP doesn't quite cover it!!

Oh no, Im sorry to hear this... 👎 Id send you a big hug if I knew how!

What a rubbish time for you.

Lets hope things start looking up soon 😊 xx

I'm sorry to hear all you are going through.
Have you thought about staying in te beauty industry but trying something different??
I too am a nail tech and understand your site is a must for these services, but I have also taken up spray tanning a few years back and make a nice income from that as well.
Maybe look into something like that.

Hope something good comes to you in the future.

I'm sorry to hear this :( As the poster above said, could you try something else? X

That's a good idea actually :) is there an NVQ in beauty as in covers quite a few subjects?
I'd have to look at funding though as you only tend to get it if on job seekers not income support.
The funding for the nails was something new, maybe why it fell through. I'm trying to use the time before I go back to work to make myself as employable as possible :)

I love your attitude - something tells me that you're going to find something that you will succeed in. The best of luck with whatever you do xx

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. You have a determined attitude and that counts for a lot! Do you already have an NVQ? Don't quote me on this but I thought you got your first level 2 or first level 3 funded, even as a mature student? There are quite a few funding options available but I don't know who they apply to - could you pop into the college and ask to speak to an advisor?

As far as beauty therapy goes, NVQ 2 usually includes facials, manicures, pedicures, waxing and makeup.

Would you fancy training in massage? No close up vision is required and it becomes a very intuitive skill which I find can be very healing.

I wish you the very best of luck xxx

Hey sweetie, never ever give up. I'm in a similar situation. I have lost 50% of my vision on the left perifial. I have had strokes and currently have very little strength in my left hand. A friend of mine who is a healer and owns a salon and had to deal with her own health battles told me that even if I cant do nails I will find something else I love in the salon and I believe her but I'm still determined to do nails. If you contact your local sensory services and work solutions they will give you lots of advice. A rep came to my house last week and advised of many courses for the visually impaired including beauty therapy it was so interesting. I'm not saying do all that now as I realise you have lots to deal with at the moment but I just wanted to let you know there are options and solutions for when you are ready. Xxx

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
That's a good idea actually :) is there an NVQ in beauty as in covers quite a few subjects?
I'd have to look at funding though as you only tend to get it if on job seekers not income support.
The funding for the nails was something new, maybe why it fell through. I'm trying to use the time before I go back to work to make myself as employable as possible :)

If your registered as visually impaired you can get access to many educational courses without being on jobseekers. I learnt this last week there are many people working hard to get disabled or visually impaired people back into work. I was surprised at whats available.

No point me moping about it ;) I just need to put my big girl panties on n change tact :)
The lady I saw about the NVQ before said because I'm uv gel n l&p trained n I've been doing nails, the level 2 would be of no use, n put me in for the level 3, the funding they tried for was 24+.
It was great because it was during the day, with an autistic child, child are is a touchy subject, plus there's his 2 younger sisters.
I did fancy massage tbh.
Right, pants pulled up, I'm ringing the local college to see if any funding is available :)
Onwards n upwards (even if I fall over my feet on the way) lol

Ask your GP to refer you to sensory serviced they can do all the college enquiries. I dint know about you but I find that all overwhelming. Then sensory services can refer you to work solutions and access to work. X

I think I'm going to hv to see what my final vision after both ops is like.
Had my referral letter from optician today to give gp.
Rang college, I need to enrol on course for sept, the tutor will decide if I can go in at level 3 at interview n if so I apply for 24+ funding loan.
In the meantime, there are some local 6 wk daytime courses I can get funding for, so enroling on the first one.... Makeup for beginners :)

Thinking slightly outside the box.......have you thought of any complimentary therapies apart from massage?

I have just done a wonderful course this weekend, if you would like more info, by all means send me message. XX

Chin up love, you'll get there.

Latest posts

Back