Nail Tech qualifications, acrylic/gel question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boop

Reaction score
I am qualified with a VTCT Manicure/Pedicure and a VTCT Nail Technology. To me that says I am a qualified Nail Technician.

I went to a local college to do the courses and while on the Nail Technology course, we only used Acrylic. So where does that leave me in regards to doing Gel Nails? I am interested in starting to do coloured gel, but am wondering if I would need to do, for instance, a foundation gel course and start from the beginning or not as technically am a qualified nail tech so should be able to purchase the kit already??
Any advice welcome, Thankyou xx

I think this means you will have to go and train in gel? Although i'm not 100%

This is a similar problem to what I had.I eventually went and done a day course in gel as I was told that because I've already covered nail anatomy,skin diseases etc.. I didn't need to start from the beginning.
I'm just getting annoyed with trying to sort insurance out as different companies say different things.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I am qualified with a VTCT Manicure/Pedicure and a VTCT Nail Technology. To me that says I am a qualified Nail Technician.

I went to a local college to do the courses and while on the Nail Technology course, we only used Acrylic. So where does that leave me in regards to doing Gel Nails? I am interested in starting to do coloured gel, but am wondering if I would need to do, for instance, a foundation gel course and start from the beginning or not as technically am a qualified nail tech so should be able to purchase the kit already??
Any advice welcome, Thankyou xx

You are 'qualified', but not at a high level. You are not a Master nail Technician for instance. An NVQ or VCTC is a minimal qualification for getting started ... You,re not finished yet! In fact, you never will be. Lol

Well I think it would be very foolish to purchase any hard gel and know nothing about it chemically, nothing about it practically, nothing about curing it, correct UV lamps information etc. Having said that, a conversion class is what you need, not to start from scratch again! I would not sell anyone a hard gel system without a conversion class.

A soft UV cured colour coat system I would sell you as technically you should be able to use it if you know how to do a really good professional polish job, but I would still recommend a class as you would be lacking in knowledge of UV systems and I think you will find your insurance company will want you to have a certificate before they will insure you.

You know, gels are rated the highest potential allergy causing nail products ... That tells me you have to use them responsibly and with a good underpinning knowledge of the chemistry of the products.

Thanks for all your replies.

I wouldn't try and use Gel without some kind of training. Thats what I was wondering, whether I would need a conversion or for example a foundation class. I thought conversion courses were for people changing from another brand, but already competent in gel for example.

Thanks Geeg, you've answered my question!

Latest posts

Back