Nail technician says I have unusual nail bed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_lou

Reaction score
I had my acrylics took off today and gel overlay put onto my natural nails. When she cut them down she cut my skin under my nail. She had a look and said that my skin grows with my nail which isn't 'normal' she put something called 'stop it' onto it and it stung so bad! What was it? Every time she went to cut the skin off it killed so she left it alone! What does she mean that it's not normal for the skin to grow? She said some people it does but not most so I'm worried now? What can I do to stop it? It's still stinging now :(

Aww Amy don't worry its completely normal for skin to grow quite high under the nail it usually happens when people have a lovely long nail bed, which we all want! I'm not sure what it is what she put on but I would give you hands a wash with a mild soap to remove it and stop the stinging. Xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

My sister has this hun its nothing serious :) just means the skin is higher thats all x

I think tnis nail tech was making things up as she went along. I have this aswell and I put it dwn to when I used to bite my nails really low down and the skin that your nail should cover hardens up and then when your nail grows it pushes that skin up behind your nail. Xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

It is possible your nail tech was saying you have extra skin growing under your nails as described below:

Pterygium Inversum Unguis is an acquired condition characterized by a forward growth of the hyponychium characterized by live tissue firmly attached to the underside of the nail plate, which contains a blood supply and nerves. Possible causes are systemic, hereditary, or from an allergic reaction to acrylics or solvents.
Never use force to 'push back' the advancing hyponychium - it is an extremely painful approach, and will result in a blood flow.

You should consult a physician for diagnosis and treatment.

(I remember being taught about this in college, looked it up online & the above info is from this: website Nail Diseases and Disorders)

Thank you girls, it's reassuring to know its nothing to worry about. The way she said it panicked me lol!! It's still a bit sensitive and will look into whether its due to being allergic to the gel! But as most of you say it's normal I won't worry. Thanks again x

Oh that's really useful to know. I work as a home carer and one of my clients has this underneath his nails. I just assumed it was a build up of food/dead skin but he says its really sensitive, so I have to cut his nails still fairly long. Ill know not to try to push it now ;)

It is possible your nail tech was saying you have extra skin growing under your nails as described below:

Pterygium Inversum Unguis is an acquired condition characterized by a forward growth of the hyponychium characterized by live tissue firmly attached to the underside of the nail plate, which contains a blood supply and nerves. Possible causes are systemic, hereditary, or from an allergic reaction to acrylics or solvents.
Never use force to 'push back' the advancing hyponychium - it is an extremely painful approach, and will result in a blood flow.

You should consult a physician for diagnosis and treatment.

(I remember being taught about this in college, looked it up online & the above info is from this: website Nail Diseases and Disorders)

Thank you, I just read up about this and it sounds like it could be it! Is this the same as having a long nail bed? When they are short it's fine, only since I've worn acrylics so I'm guessing I could be allergic! Or maybe I've always had it just never known as didnt have long nails before. I think next time ill have the gel removed and just have shellac on my natural nails and keep them short. Thanks everyone xxx

It's fairly common to have an advanced hypernicium. (Sorry about the spelling, I'm tired).
My tutor some years back had it. I'm glad she did, as we were all then aware that it is there, and not to clean too hard under the nails without first checking if your client had it or not. Now it's part of my routine during the consultation.

It's fairly common to have an advanced hypernicium. (Sorry about the spelling, I'm tired).
My tutor some years back had it. I'm glad she did, as we were all then aware that it is there, and not to clean too hard under the nails without first checking if your client had it or not. Now it's part of my routine during the consultation.

Thanks for the reply. Glad it's not so 'abnormal' as my nail technician tried to make out! Is it ok for me to still wear gel overlay or false nails? Because if they can't cut under my nail what about when I have them cut down? I really hope i can still have them Xx

I remember learning that this can also happen when you have been wearing acrylics for a long time. With natural nails you naturally push back the hyponechium as they are growing (cleaning under your nails, think of how people run their thumb nail under each of their other nails etc) when you have acrylics this regular pushing back doesn't happen during the day hence the growth.

Yes you can still have acrylic or gel extensions and also uv gel polish.
I recommend that as you have a protruding Hyponechium, if you have extensions then get sculptured extensions. You don't need your nails cutting short when having them sculpted. This way there will be no danger to your skin.
If your nails are long enough without extensions then you should only need overlays anyway. This will give strength to your natural nail without length.
If your natural nails are in good health and strong enough then you could just go for uv gel polish.
There are plenty of options and you dont have to give up on having you nail treatments.
I hope this helps you.

Yes you can still have acrylic or gel extensions and also uv gel polish.
I recommend that as you have a protruding Hyponechium, if you have extensions then get sculptured extensions. You don't need your nails cutting short when having them sculpted. This way there will be no danger to your skin.
If your nails are long enough without extensions then you should only need overlays anyway. This will give strength to your natural nail without length.
If your natural nails are in good health and strong enough then you could just go for uv gel polish.
There are plenty of options and you dont have to give up on having you nail treatments.
I hope this helps you.

Thank you Hun. At the moment I have gel overlay they were dried with a UV light so not sure if they are UV gels because it was white powder? They cost £30. My natural nails are quite long as they grew under the acrylics. So I will stick with the overlay. As someone said acrylics over a long time can cause the skin to grow and I guess gels are the same? So I guess I'll have to live with this extra skin lol but it's not sore anymore only if I touch it so just going to leave well alone!!!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379255110.601348.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379255199.715434.jpg

For the nail geeks - A pic so you can see the skin under my nail.. Anyone else have this?! X

My oldest daughter has a high hyponychium, she has beautiful naturally long nail beds and very strong nails, I've put hers down to naturally strong nail plate, fast growth and extended beds.
Hers are very sensitive too.
On the few times I've a managed to grow my nails and keep them long for months at a time I notice I too have my hyponychium growing along with my nail, as soon as I start nibbling again it kinds of dies back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes when mine are short the skin is completely normal!!! Xx

I have this too & using Solar Oil very regularly has really helped keep it under control!

I have this too & using Solar Oil very regularly has really helped keep it under control!

Thank you Hun, can you use this if you have gel overlays? Will invest in some of this xx

Latest posts

Back