Nail techs and boob jobs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katieb88

Reaction score
Hi! I had breast augmentation and lift on 28/04. I am currently just over 2 weeks recovered and started back at work 2 days ago. I am a very busy nail tech with a turnover of 90 clients every 3 weeks. I use acrylic and I'm now at the end of my 2nd day back and massively regretting my decision to return. I haven't been able to ease myself back in because of the extent of my client base so did 6 clients yesterday and 6 today. I am experiencing a great deal of discomfort in my chest and feel like my pec muscles are on fire from all the filing I'm having to do. Has anybody else had a breast aug and possibly shed some light on what a realistic time to return to work looks like? I'm petrified that I'm going to do damage to myself but I'm also petrified that I'm going to lose my business if I don't get back to work quick enough. Thank you ❤️

I’m a clinical massage therapist. I am also a beauty therapist and trained in nails so I have some understanding of what you are putting your body through.

You should discuss this with your doctor. I can’t imagine that you have healed sufficiently for this workload and yes you could hurt yourself. You are risking the healing tissues tearing internally and bleeding. You are risking post operative scar tissue and complications including increased infection risks which could have you off work for weeks, I don’t wish to frighten you but I am quite concerned. Occasionally breast augmentation surgeries go wrong and women are left in pain. Dealing with the pain and soft tissue damage is my area of professional expertise.

You may have set your recovery back a bit because you’ve overdone things. I’d take a day or two off and follow your doctors advice. They may recommend ice packs or they may recommend heat packs - so check and don’t guess. When you return just do one client in the morning and one client in the afternoon. If that’s ok, add a client a day and listen to your body. It may take you 4-6 weeks to get back to your full workload. You may need to consider taking a half day mid week.

I sympathise about your fears for your client base, but it is better to err on the side of caution rather than risk becoming unreliable in the longer term. Ring your clients and be honest and say that you need more time. You can always offer clients a deal to tempt them to return to you in a month or two.

Rest, follow your aftercare, phase your return and take it steady and everything will be fine.

I’m a clinical massage therapist. I am also a beauty therapist and trained in nails so I have some understanding of what you are putting your body through.

You should discuss this with your doctor. I can’t imagine that you have healed sufficiently for this workload and yes you could hurt yourself. You are risking the healing tissues tearing internally and bleeding. You are risking post operative scar tissue and complications including increased infection risks which could have you off work for weeks, I don’t wish to frighten you but I am quite concerned. Occasionally breast augmentation surgeries go wrong and women are left in pain. Dealing with the pain and soft tissue damage is my area of professional expertise.

You may have set your recovery back a bit because you’ve overdone things. I’d take a day or two off and follow your doctors advice. They may recommend ice packs or they may recommend heat packs - so check and don’t guess. When you return just do one client in the morning and one client in the afternoon. If that’s ok, add a client a day and listen to your body. It may take you 4-6 weeks to get back to your full workload. You may need to consider taking a half day mid week.

I sympathise about your fears for your client base, but it is better to err on the side of caution rather than risk becoming unreliable in the longer term. Ring your clients and be honest and say that you need more time. You can always offer clients a deal to tempt them to return to you in a month or two.

Rest, follow your aftercare, phase your return and take it steady and everything will be fine.
Thank you so much for your advice. It really has put my mind at ease. It's most definitely too early for me to return and I've learnt that now. I am having another follow up appointment with my surgeon tomorrow evening so will take on board all of his advice and take it from there.
Thank you again, I really do appreciate it x

Most surgeries require approx 6 weeks recovery as there are lots of layers of muscle etc to heal not just what you can see on the top layer.
Hope you recover soon and that going back to early doesn't delay your recovery.

Boob jobs are regarded as a major procedure so you need to give yourself time to heal properly. If you don't you risk all manner of complications from delayed wound healing. It takes up to a year for these kinds of scars to heal fully, and more if you delay it either by mechanical stress and prolonged inflammation, and post-op infection risk. Conversely, I understand you don't want to lose your clients. So maybe if you used a nail drill instead of filing would be better for posture etc. I'm sure if you explain to clients they'll be more than happy to go easy on you, as they won't want to lose your professional services. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope everything gets back to normal for you soon. Nicky x

Boob jobs are regarded as a major procedure so you need to give yourself time to heal properly. If you don't you risk all manner of complications from delayed wound healing. It takes up to a year for these kinds of scars to heal fully, and more if you delay it either by mechanical stress and prolonged inflammation, and post-op infection risk. Conversely, I understand you don't want to lose your clients. So maybe if you used a nail drill instead of filing would be better for posture etc. I'm sure if you explain to clients they'll be more than happy to go easy on you, as they won't want to lose your professional services. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope everything gets back to normal for you soon. Nicky x
Thank you so much. I do use a nail drill for infills etc but I much prefer to do my finish file with a hand file but I am going to use my electric drill more to ease myself back into work. X

Most surgeries require approx 6 weeks recovery as there are lots of layers of muscle etc to heal not just what you can see on the top layer.
Hope you recover soon and that going back to early doesn't delay your recovery.
Thank you, nearly 4 weeks post op now so hopefully not much longer x

My Daughter has recently gone through surgery for a breast implants, and even though she is a Young and very fit active girl, she did struggle with everyday life for weeks after, she was told by her doctor to give herself 6 weeks to heal and even then she could only return to work on light duties, No mopping, no sweeping and definitely no lifting, no reaching ect ect... So even though you are 4 weeks post opp you will still need to ease yourself back into your everyday work duties. Everyone heals at a different rate so what is fine for someone who has been through this kind of surgery may be quite painful for someone else. I wish you all the best and please take care of yourself. Not long now till you can show off that bikini 😜

Breast augmentation is performed under general anesthesia. In most cases, the doctor will recommend that the patient remains under hospital observation for 24 hours after surgery. On the 2nd day after surgery, the patient can go home. You can take a shower a week after breast augmentation and only with the doctor's permission. On the 5th-6th day after the surgery, my pain went away; swelling went down in 2 weeks. It took 7 months to fully recover. By the way, I want to do buttock augmentation at https://gartner plastic surgery.com/brazilian-butt-lift-nj/. I'd appreciate feedback if you have had this surgery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back