Nail techs getting your nails done

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbeautiful<3

Reaction score
Well as a birthday treat had a mobile therapist come shellac my nails today, gutted I actually paid for them!

I asked what the products she used and what training etc before booking. During the appointment she used scrub fresh only to try remove shellac! I had to do it in the end. She buffed my natural nail, no cuticle work at all! And cured every coat for 2 minutes. I'd asked about colours before she came was assured she had the colour I wanted.... Yep you guessed it no colours apart from what comes in the starter pack! And while chatting she explained she buys nothing from s2 as it's too expensive! She imports it! Grrrrr

Sorry for the long rant I'm just shocked at the quality of painting! And that she advertises herself. Still nothing to fear if that's my competition! Guess I'll be redoing my fingers this weekend :(

Anyway does anyone else struggle to get their nails done?

I do them myself lol as I know where I bought them & I'm on l o v e c n d d o t c o m so I always make clients aware. I did contact a few therapists to see what fees were & if they were trained but in the end I just did it myself!

I have tried to get Shellac manicure several times here in England and also when I am abroad and have experienced the correct service only once. Some of the techs even had training and still buffed my nails saying that's going to help Shellac to stay on!!

I just do my own. I am my own advertisement - I don't think it looks great to say to a client oh no I don't do mine I go to so & so down the road. Neither would I lie and say I'd done them myself when I hadn't. I had a girl do this once - pass off nails I did on her as her own.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well due to my extremely large bump my partner treated me to my feet and she offered to do my hand so thought I'd just see what she was like! Shocked I really was! I really wanted to start training her lol!!! Oh well I'm redoing my nail at the weekend and my toes are far enough away I don't see the flaws!

Thinking I might just have to test out a few others to just see what the rest of the competition is like. Made me feel better about my own work tho!

No-one is allowed to touch my finger nails but me :green: The only time I've had someone else do them was last year on a cruise. I'd applied French gel enhancements but broke one, so got them to repair it on board - oh my! I spent the rest of the week looking at this one ugly, thick nail on my hand lol never again!

I do my own, but understand why you're not able to do yours atm.

I do other treatments as swaps with friends, ie; facials, reflexology, minx & waxing but feel that with my hands I have to do mine! I can't tell you how much I hate doing it, its so time consuming and boring but clients are always impressed with what I do (I'm also particularly annul about them lol), how would it go down if I said someone else did them, wouldn't they just go to the other person?

So although I'd love someone else to do mine I just couldn't let that happen.

Karaxxx

Not a nail tech but got mine done yesterday and wish I'd not paid her. I have a vague knowledge of the basics and it was just rubbish. Tips are too big and the paint Work!!!! I could've done better Myself. Without wanting to name and shame - and I am sorry if she uses this site but look at the pix!!

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

sorry - pic didn't upload.

I don't think that pic even picks up how wonky and smudgy and uneven the finish is.

:mad::banghead::thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't think that pic even picks up how wonky and smudgy and uneven the finish is.

Is she qualified? ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Apparently =/ I have some doubts now though!
She charges a few ££ more than local places and doesn't use electrical files ... advertised as using x,y,z products fully insured etc.
Pics of her work looked okay so I thought it was a safe bet!

So frustrating! I put effort into researching and not using NSS salons and end up with this as the result lmao. I hardly ever pamper myself but am trying to put more effort in to looking really smart at all times. >.<

AND the bag full of polishes she brought with her were all drugstore! Laval, Rimmel etc. I only noticed toward the end when it was too late as I'd just looked at swatches >.<

She is apparently doing a shellac course this weekend (currently just does art and extensions) and I'm wondering if she has booked it through groupon as she mentioned looking on there to find courses on her way out when I mentioned wishing I could do nail art!!

WHAT THE..........F..... Are those monstrosities!!!??

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

What a sorry state of affairs :sad:

I do my own nails as I am fine with any flaws I may see, but if I am paying for anything then I expect a professional job whatever the service and I would be so annoyed to pay for anything less than this.

What's wrong with people? Where are their professional standards?

WHAT THE..........F..... Are those monstrosities!!!??

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I know! I am so annoyed as I am at a wedding (and styling the entire wedding party before hand) tomorrow and a family party on Saturday and these nails were supposed to be me treating myself!

:'( Gutted.

I'm so critical of my work, always trying to improve...but when I look at some photos of some nail techs work...I feel I'm actually got nothing to worry about!!! I also only do my own nails...and it takes me for ever to do as well, which I hate:))) but I can't let any one else do them as I just sit and mentally pick everything that's wrong with them apart, and get annoyed that I spent money on them!!

I'm so critical of my work, always trying to improve...but when I look at some photos of some nail techs work...I feel I'm actually got nothing to worry about!!! I also only do my own nails...and it takes me for ever to do as well, which I hate:))) but I can't let any one else do them as I just sit and mentally pick everything that's wrong with them apart, and get annoyed that I spent money on them!!

I know exactly what you mean. I see fb pages of techs in the area and wonder how they ever get clients from the pics of their work!

Omg is all I have to say lol

I do my own nails as I don't trust anyone else, if I'm struggling with a design on my right hand then I teach my son to do it and he does it for me, he's getting quite good lol :)

I start my level 3 in september and i'm already having nightmares in case I get my nails trashed in class :Scared:

I do my own as I don't trust anyone else! The only time I ever 'treated myself' and let someone else do them was before I was trained and they were horrendous! They were the reason I trained as I just thought to myself 'I can do better than that!'
I had a French gel polish on my own nails which I had spent ages growing for my holiday. Well... The 'French' polish was the tech literally just dragging the white straight across my nail, there was no nice curve to the smile line it was just straight, it was messy and wobbly, the white didn't even go down both sides on some nails and you could see my natural nail underneath! Later that day it started to lift so I called up and they told me to come back the next day which I did. Instead of soaking off the lifting nail she clipped the lifting but off with cuticle nippers, blobbed a bit more pink on and top coated. It looked awful. I went on holiday the next day and unsurprisingly they were all lifting within days, in the end I had to peel them off as they were catching in my hair etc. It totally ruined my nails but at least it inspired me to get trained =D

I always do my own nails since starting working from home. Hate doing it, takes forever, with kids always on my head the whole time, lol. But it seems silly (or may be I'm too cheap :) to go somewhere else and pay when I can do it myself. Plus I think it's a good advertisement. People see my nails and ask about them. Also seeing some new design on my nails interests my more conservative clients to try something different. I guess it's a win win from every angle :) well, besides the time it takes me to do them! Lol.
But when I worked in the salon I wasn't allowed to do my own nails there, and had to go somewhere else to get them done, and let me tell you-I've seen some horrendous jobs during those years! Doesn't help that I'm so picky, but honestly, some of those "techs" seemed like they only saw the nails for the first time in their lives when I came in :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back