Nail techs help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkletips

Reaction score
Hi all just looking for some advice regarding acrylic nails. I completed my course over 10 yrs ago but never gained employment as a nail tech as I left my training with no skill or confidence all. I tried to practice on friends after completing the course but nails never lasted more than a few day before lifting and falling off. I recently decided I have my certificate and its something I want to do so im gunna make it happen. I searched for a quality product and chose NSI and invested in one on one training with an NSI educator. While my nails worlds apart from 10 yrs ago they are still not up to scratch. How did you all get practice to get to where you are today without potential clients seeing your "practice work" ?

oh and also is there any where I can post a pic on this forum for some of you to maybe have a look and make a some suggestions on improvements I could make?

I'm still practicing, I have a trainer hand - it's brilliant. It is a little different to working on a person but you can improve your technique in your own time without anyone seeing!x

Same, im learning at the mo and a practice hand is brill, you don't have to rely on anyone. When you've got spare time to practice it's there. I bought mine from Gumtree, second hand essential nails trainer hand with the clip on nails which you can remove... Worth a look.
And regards your photos of your work you can put them on a knew thread or on this one, you will always get help. x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ladies. I already have a rubber hand thing that i practice on everyday but without a human i will never know how my prep amd filing is as i wont know if they lift...

Thought i attached a pic to my last post but now its gone....
Thanks for your suggestions ladies trying to add a pic and hoping for some feedback xx

1443786524916_wm-2.jpg

You can practice on friends and family or offer a reduced rate to clients initially. I did my training with NSI attraction at college then I just advertised on FB and jumped straight in. I was initially stressed about lifting in particular but had no problems. Good luck X

There may be acrylic touching the skin on the side of the nail on the right...if there is that will cause lifting.

beautiful smile lines ;)
x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

thank you LeilaM xx This was one of my first attempts with the reverse method and it works much better for me than the traditional method I was taught in my course
Ciderella 71 this was a set on a family member that actually did lift on one finger and I didn't know why but I didn't think of acrylic touching the skin I was more doubting my prep. Looking at the pic you are most likely correct tho as I was really trying to get the product close to the cuticle as her nails grow so fast after 2 weeks it looks like 3 going 4!
I have 2 family members I have been practicing on for a few months and one never lifts at all except for one finger on the set above and the other doesn't last a week before lifting badly:(:( I also take sooooo freaking long to infill and colour change or infill/rebalance a permanent French. My own left hand barely lifts but my right hand often does but im putting this down to poor filing as im totally gumby with my left hand haha but this is something I really need to get sorted as my own hands are the first thing people look at when I say i'm a tech...

Remember that some are much harder on their nails than others and don't listen to after are advice either so it might not be you. Try to get as many sets done as you can as it really all comes together quickly the more you practice X

Thanks ciderellaxx I'm really determined to make a go of this and I have invested so much money into products and training I can't afford to fail. I just can't see how I will build a clientele when my "practice set" are out there walking around advertising a quality of service im not happy with.:(
A couple of sets im actually embarrassed to admit I did.. I have bought a cheap 500 pack of tips to practice on and have used them all up so that was quite a costly exercise too. I need to have some monies coming in to balance out what im spending on product to practice with.
Trying to remain positive tho.. Im sure nobody else got the hang of it overnight either. I'm also really nervous about dealing one on one with clients I don't know so still have that hurdle to jump as well lol

The pic you posted is a lot better than some work I've seen so you've nothing to be worried about. I set up my FB page got all my friends to like it and share and posted pics of all the work I did on friends and family. Post pics of colours, glitters etc to get people interested and post often. I was nervous my first few appointments but your client won't know that. Go for it :)

Latest posts

Back