Nail techs in spa required to perform same massage techniques?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8nailz

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A DEBATE

I would like input from those of you who offer these services either as providers or salon/spa owners.

Our manager brought in a consultant who designed new protocols for the nail spa. The consultant is a former nail professional.

I like the new manicure and pedicure structures with one exception: all the nail professionals are expected to perform the exact same massage techniques. We go live with it by weekend. I have to admit to feeling like a bit of a robot. I liked the uniqueness of my massage, as did my clientele.

The massage techniques are mapped out for us. For instance, Figure 8 - 6 times each hand, 3 times through, use a long stroke..... Ankle - 20 times circle the ankle bone..... Achilles tendon - 20 times alternate your left and right hand..... etc. etc.

You opinions?

i am just a nail technician within the salon i work in and all of the other girls do the whole beauty therapy....i hate doing manicures and pedicures (only the massage part) as i feel i cannot match their standard of massage! :(

Surely the point of massage it that is individual to each client and you work more on the areas the client needs/wants.
I think when you have a set formula it is robotic.

I see the point in having uniformity in the spa, that way no matter which technician the client sees they can expect the same quality service.

I can also see how some techs wouldn't like it as they would be worried they wouldn't gain a loyal clientele because there's nothing "unique" about their services.

I personally wouldn't be happy in the beginning but it would make me strive to perform the most exceptional services. That way I would stand out for quality of service and care rather then best massage. If that makes sense :p

It will give consistency for your clients if they have their service done by another tech.

Maybe you could suggest ways to improve (recommend your current personal techniques) in a few weeks if You're not feeling the flow of the new system.

Ps. Is it a really odd massage routine or is it just that it's new to you and you might come to enjoy it once it doesn't feel robotic anymore?

I'd absolutely hate that as a client!!

I went to a day spa once and had a full body massage - it was awful! I counted every one of her massage movements and knew she was counting in her head too - I didn't enjoy it. It did feel robotic to me.

I'd also hate it as a client. There's nothing worse than counting the moves in your head and knowing the therapist is about to move on to the next part of the massage when you really need more work on something else.

For me, the most important part of any massage is adapting it to each individual client. I'd hate to not be able to do that.

I've given you love for your responses. Thanks for your valuable input.

I understand the consistency of service comments. That makes sense to me; however, I feel that individual massage technique makes us each, well, individual.

I find the robotic counting massage technique bothersome. I've been very much aware when this method has been performed on me. This method is prevalent is NSSs.

I'd rather be told the massage should last _# of minutes.

I have a procedure that must be followed for almost all of our treatments. I have this in place for most of the reasons above, mainly to ensure the client receives the same quality of service no matter which therapist they book with. I am quite flexible though as long as the routine is used as a guide and the therapist doesn't stray too far from the routine. I teach a massage to be used as a base. All my new therapists start with this, i encourage them to experiment with their massage routine regularly though and always try new techniques. Over time we have all developed our own massage techniques but still offer a very similar service.

What i strive for with my staff is a very high quality of service with an individual twist. We all have different strengths and specialties and i consider this to be an advantage.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

I've given you love for your responses. Thanks for your valuable input.

I understand the consistency of service comments. That makes sense to me; however, I feel that individual massage technique makes us each, well, individual.

I find the robotic counting massage technique bothersome. I've been very much aware when this method has been performed on me. This method is prevalent is NSSs.

I'd rather be told the massage should last _# of minutes.

There's your difference.......how long a massage lasts V's how many strokes per area etc.
I as a client would much prefer to know that I am going to get a 15 minute massage everywhere but on the areas that I need it the most (cause I would say where I need it so the therapist knows) V's knowing I'm only going to get 20 strokes on each leg and that's it but my lower legs is what is aching like hell and they really need it.

How unutterably dull for the client who will know exactly what to expect every single visit ... The same old same old. I would not enjoy that at all .. My salon experience would just become totally mechanical and that is Not why I go to a salon.

Mechanical is why I would go to Macdonalds! In fact, The whole concept reminds me of fast food chains where every portion is measured and you get the same old thing as opposed to the creativity and variety you would find in a well run restaurant that would entice one to return.

I don't like to be told what to do at the best of times let alone being fettered and chained to a 'system' that someone else has demanded I do. Do they not understand that nail technicians are creative people that need variety and ... Creativity? Bad move for both technicians and clients is what I think.

I would hate that i am a massage therapist and to follow a set routine every time would be ineffective for most people and feel stale to me. Even when i do mani or pedi i tailor the massage to what i feel in the clients muscles etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would hate that i am a massage therapist and to follow a set routine every time would be ineffective for most people and feel stale to me. Even when i do mani or pedi i tailor the massage to what i feel in the clients muscles etc

I agree ... isn't that the essence of massage?

Actually, thinking about this a bit more........

Do you know the reasons behind why they have made this change?
Why does the salon owner think it's a good idea V's the traditional way of just winging it and giving the client what they want with a time limit.

I can't see this being a good move for the salon and time will tell.

The other thing is, just cause a consultant comes in, it doesn't mean you must implement everything they suggest, it must be based on the clients needs first.

I really feel for you, you must feel stuck cause from what I've seen here on SG, you really enjoy where you work, so this must be a real blow for you.

As said before, I think it's ok to learn one way to give you an idea of what to do and what's expected but it's up to us to see what the individual clients like or don't like.
Some clients may like the bottom of their feet being touched, others don't and so on.
I trained with CND and we were taught what was required and told how to make it an individual experience for each person that comes through the door by watching, listening and being aware of our clients and I think thats important xx

Thank you all for your input.

Apparently the consultant frequents a very expensive hotel in Manhattan and has manicures/pedicures there. All nail professionals there follow the prescribed massage technique she has now given us. Consistency of service is what the consultant feels will be garnered from this new set of massage protocols.

I can see someone right out of school following a prescribed technique until they learn something on their own; however, we are all seasoned nail professionals in our nail spa....the least having 4 years of experience.

What I'm hearing in all of your gracious responses is that this new methodology appears mechanical and boring. This was my initial feeling as well.

so what happens if you implement the new massage and then slip back into the sequence you have been doing up to now?

My colleagues didn't like the changes in the massage protocol either. They felt it was robotic/mechanical. I told them I was going to get input from other professionals in the field.

I think we are strong enough as a cohesive nail team to say we're not going with these changes because we do not feel it's in the best interest of our clientele. Since we're on the frontline dealing with the clients one-on-one and our clients like the service we provide and we can see no benefit for change, why change?

As I stated before, I think change is good in a lot of circumstances. I just don't think this is one of them.

Gotta LOVE these so called 'consultants' and industry 'ADVISORS' who generally are not therapist or nail technicians and think only of the bottom line and not the clients who pay for it!! Who wants consistency in service from every technician ... consistency in providing a wonderful standard of service, but how they provide it individually is what makes us artists.

Do you know, the very reason why I no longer accept invitations to judge any nail competitions now is because the nails are precisely the same .. mechanical with no individual artistic expression in fact no artistry just mechanical cloning of the same thing regardless of the shape or size of the hands or fingers or nails, with the same criteria for everyone; just like a cookie cutter, boring! .... I hate the nails and it is the most boring thing ever to have to judge them.
Just making a point .. not trying to take this thread off topic.

I am a massage therapist and i do nails also... in the spa i am working in; we have a specific routine for full body massage.. i is designed to give continuity for the 'brand'. IMO you need to work a routine around the clients needs; problem areas etc... Clients prefer to have a tailored service too... its very frustrating...

Latest posts

Back