Nail techs need to be sympathetic to clients with bitten nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotslady

Reaction score
I have read various threads on nailbiting clients, and my observation is that nail techs are supportive of other nail techs, but please can you put yourselves in your clients' shoes? I am a lifelong nail biter, and for your info it is an addictive habit, rather like smoking, and extremely difficult to stop, a vicious circle, and believe me, ALL nailbiters want to stop. I have been on the receiving end of unsympathetic comments from nail techs - one even said why didn't I grow them? She obviously didn't realize of course I would, if I could!! How clueless can you get?
I have had acrylic nail extensions previously, which were great except that the nail tech ruined my nails underneath by using a mechanical buffing tool. Now I have acrylics with hand buffing only. It does work and allows you to grow your natural nails underneath while stopping the nail biting. Once a nailbiter sees how fab her nails can look immediately, it supports her efforts to stop nail biting, with a view to ending up with natural nails and breaking the habit. It is essential to continue with Biosculpture Healthy Nails or similar after they have grown, or at the very least regular weekly manicures afterwards, otherwise the nailbiter will go back to nail biting, seriously, we can't help it!!
So, nail techs, think about how embarrassed YOU would feel with bitten nails, and having to show them to an unsympathetic nail tech for nail shaming? It is really upsetting, hurtful and makes us feel terribly inadequate. We think you are mean and lack compassion or understanding.
If you want a loyal client for life, who thinks you are a Goddess who can work magic, then be diplomatic and kind to your nailbiter clients. Make them feel you can put it all right, give them encouragement, compliments, and give them presentable nails! They will love you for it forever, hold you in high esteem, and keep coming back, REALLY.

It's not nice to shame anybody and hardly likely to encourage clients to return is it?!
I've had a few nail biter success stories this year and what I did was show them a couple of collages of my daughter's own 'nail growth journey'. She has bitten her nails and surrounding skin ever since she had teeth! I would apply tips for her every time she was going anywhere special, but she'd still nibble them and then rip them all off if one broke or if they stayed on long enough for regrowth to show. I'll be honest, I found it pretty soul destroying myself after all my hard work! (Because it is harder and takes me longer to do short bitten nails). So, after she ripped her Christmas set off in January I told her I wasn't going to apply any more tips, I was going to apply Builder gel to her natural nails (she had a little free edge showing after ripping the tips off). I told her I wanted her to be my guinea pig and I would document her nail journey.

What has been really interesting is that she was much much prouder of her own natural length (albeit short) nails and loved watching them grow so fast that it stopped her wanting to bite them! She does still chew the skin around admittedly, but nowhere near as much as she used to. I now show all new clients with short bitten nails the collages below to show them that if my daughter can do it, so can they!

Do you think this is a kinder, more encouraging approach?

IMG_2399.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG

Congratulations on your successful nail biter success stories. Yes, definitely a step in the right direction, although still an element of shaming i.e "if my daughter can do it, surely you can?" Criticism is so often almost unconcious. Doesn't help that you felt sorry for yourself that all your "hard work" was wasted. Don't forget clients pay for your time and skill, unlike your daughter.
Obviously part of the problem is that it is harder to do bitten nails well and requires a higher degree of skill and patience, and there are plenty of clients with normal nails so why would a nail tech bother? The answer is they could charge more as it takes longer, and be someone special to that client, instead of just a nail tech. The harder the job, the greater the satisfaction at succeeding.

Yes, as you mentioned, I'm talking about my daughter who I don't charge, so it certainly was quite frustrating. A paying client is completely different. Although, I don't actually charge them any more for having bitten nails as I'm not sure how I could do that without making them feel shamed and embarrassed about their nail biting habit.

Don't be childish, this is not a point scoring excercise. If it it takes more time, it costs more. Everyone can understand that!
By all means reply if you must, but I feel my point is made already, so will not be spending any more time on this particular exchange.

Don't be childish, this is not a point scoring excercise. If it it takes more time, it costs more. Everyone can understand that!
By all means reply if you must, but I feel my point is made already, so will not be spending any more time on this particular exchange.

Whilst your point might be valid your delivery and attitude are appalling. @Beautiful-you was completely agreeing with you and supportive so spitting vile responses is uncalled for and unnecessary. I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to respond to your posts anyway so probably a good idea you're not looking for further interaction.

It's actually a shame as I think the subject could have provided some great conversation and experience exchanges.

Seems like you want to be offended. What was the point of this rant anyway? [emoji848]

If you don't like the nail techs you've seen, try another one

Seems like you want to be offended. What was the point of this rant anyway? [emoji848]

If you don't like the nail techs you've seen, try another one

I agree, if you don’t like the ones you have seen go to someone else, there are loads of qualified people out there doing this

Whilst your point might be valid your delivery and attitude are appalling. @Beautiful-you was completely agreeing with you and supportive so spitting vile responses is uncalled for and unnecessary. I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to respond to your posts anyway so probably a good idea you're not looking for further interaction.

It's actually a shame as I think the subject could have provided some great conversation and experience exchanges.

Yes, I thought it was a genuinely interesting topic too. I have been nurturing a few nail biters this year and I'm assuming I must be doing something right as they keep coming back! I'd love to hear others experiences too.

What's also quite interesting is that there are a lot of nail techs who are/were nail biters and the desire for beautiful nails drew them into this career in the first place. I'd like to think they would also be sympathetic towards fellow biters.

Yes, I thought it was a genuinely interesting topic too. I have been nurturing a few nail biters this year and I'm assuming I must be doing something right as they keep coming back! I'd love to hear others experiences too.

What's also quite interesting is that there are a lot of nail techs who are/were nail biters and the desire for beautiful nails drew them into this career in the first place. I'd like to think they would also be sympathetic towards fellow biters.

I wholeheartedly agree, I still bite my enhancements at times if stress, etc. I certainly don't pretend to my clients I don't. It also makes me uniquely placed to know exactly what the nibblers have done because I know/see/do it myself.

I wholeheartedly agree, I still bite my enhancements at times if stress, etc. I certainly don't pretend to my clients I don't. It also makes me uniquely placed to know exactly what the nibblers have done because I know/see/do it myself.

My tutor was/is a prolific nail biter too! I used to chew all the skin around my nails when anxious as well and the only reason I don't now is because I have 2 front veneers that I'm terrified will come off! ... in fact, I'd highly recommend getting veneers as a solution for any nail biter! :D (Actually I'm joking, they're the bane of my life, I can't bite into anything! :().

My tutor was/is a prolific nail biter too! I used to chew all the skin around my nails when anxious as well and the only reason I don't now is because I have 2 front veneers that I'm terrified will come off! ... in fact, I'd highly recommend getting veneers as a solution for any nail biter! :D (Actually I'm joking, they're the bane of my life, I can't bite into anything! :().

I'm disappointed in the OP's view. I think most of us have come to nails having had our own done due to biting, or other issues, seen how much it difference it makes and that it's inspired us to become techs (not all obvs) so to think we are unsympathetic or dismissive is quite unfair and frankly a little insulting. Yes we may say we're struggling, or it's hard, or we're frustrated but that's what this forum is for and we are entitled to say how we feel and seek support from our peers and fellow Geeks. I don't know any Geeks who would intentionally make a client feel bad about their nails in any state.

I'm disappointed in the OP's view. I think most of us have come to nails having had our own done due to biting, or other issues, seen how much it difference it makes and that it's inspired us to become techs (not all obvs) so to think we are unsympathetic or dismissive is quite unfair and frankly a little insulting. Yes we may say we're struggling, or it's hard, or we're frustrated but that's what this forum is for and we are entitled to say how we feel and seek support from our peers and fellow Geeks. I don't know any Geeks who would intentionally make a client feel bad about their nails in any state.

I totally agree with you.

I have read various threads on nailbiting clients, and my observation is that nail techs are supportive of other nail techs, but please can you put yourselves in your clients' shoes? I am a lifelong nail biter, and for your info it is an addictive habit, rather like smoking, and extremely difficult to stop, a vicious circle, and believe me, ALL nailbiters want to stop. I have been on the receiving end of unsympathetic comments from nail techs - one even said why didn't I grow them? She obviously didn't realize of course I would, if I could!! How clueless can you get?
I have had acrylic nail extensions previously, which were great except that the nail tech ruined my nails underneath by using a mechanical buffing tool. Now I have acrylics with hand buffing only. It does work and allows you to grow your natural nails underneath while stopping the nail biting. Once a nailbiter sees how fab her nails can look immediately, it supports her efforts to stop nail biting, with a view to ending up with natural nails and breaking the habit. It is essential to continue with Biosculpture Healthy Nails or similar after they have grown, or at the very least regular weekly manicures afterwards, otherwise the nailbiter will go back to nail biting, seriously, we can't help it!!
So, nail techs, think about how embarrassed YOU would feel with bitten nails, and having to show them to an unsympathetic nail tech for nail shaming? It is really upsetting, hurtful and makes us feel terribly inadequate. We think you are mean and lack compassion or understanding.
If you want a loyal client for life, who thinks you are a Goddess who can work magic, then be diplomatic and kind to your nailbiter clients. Make them feel you can put it all right, give them encouragement, compliments, and give them presentable nails! They will love you for it forever, hold you in high esteem, and keep coming back, REALLY.

Bit odd coming on here to be unpleasant and diss all nail professionals by saying they are unpleasant themselves.

When we are trained, we are taught about nail biting alike any other disorder. Those that have said things to you are simply in need of a bit of education. People that don’t bite don’t always understand how offensive ‘why don’t you just note bite’ can be - just like any other difficult medical problem that can’t be helped. But many do.

Regardless, I have been at the receiving end of ‘you have short nail beds’ ‘you aren’t a nail tech’ ‘a nail tech wouldn’t have nails like this.’

Onychophagia is not just a habit, but often filed under mental illness by some doctors like repetitive behaviours, much like hair pulling and OCD. It is not just hard to stop. It is near impossible.

I have bitten since my first teeth grew in from watching my aunt do it. That’s almost 30 years.

The only thing to stop me? Doing pedicures on stinky dirty feet. Even though i wear gloves I can’t eat let alone bite after being near a skanky foot. That and dark or red polish or gel. That’s it. No special techniques. By enjoying a manicure and the colour I see them before putting them in my mouth. By doing a pedicure I revolt myself into bite prevention. Win win.

Lots of nail technicians are nail technicians precisely BECAUSE they are nail biters! I don't bite, but my son does. It is a habit he finds very hard to break and he does it without even being aware of it. When he gets his nails manicured, he is fine for a while, because everything is smooth and there's nothing snaggy to pull! He needs to have a mani on a weekly basis or things go back to how they were. It seems like an uphill struggle to stop, but consistency and new habits are key, I think.
I'd like to think I'd not say anything hurtful to a client, I guess some nail techs might just be making observations aloud and not realise how it might sound to a client! We spend lots of time handling all kinds of hands and feet! I doubt it's meant to be hurtful, after all, we want our clients to be happy and come back to us regularly so we can help them get the nails they want.

I was a biter too. Enhancements made this harder but I would still chew side walls and cuticles........ that was until I got dentures Ahahaha. Now its impossible. Lol

I'm a nail biter from WAY back. When I was little, my mum would paint my nails with some AWFUL tasting stuff and I would still bite them.

When I would get my nails done with L&P, I would bite the nails underneath the L&P. My 'nails' still looked beautiful, though.

Now that I don't get my nails done anymore, I keep them super short...either by biting or filing. It's a habit I can never FULLY break.

Another reformed nail biter here.....it’s incredible really and somewhat ironic how many go on to become nail techs ☺

Another reformed nail biter here.....it’s incredible really and somewhat ironic how many go on to become nail techs ☺

WOW Noodle, I never made that connection! So true!

Latest posts

Back