Nail Techs New Years Resolution!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllumeGirl

Reaction score
Bit early for New Years..but this is a cracking idea..i reckon:)
How about we all pledge, as professionals, we will no longer be sucked in by clients who try to receive discounts on nail services?

You know the type..client x who swears their nail just "fell off".
Or the client who is experiencing financial difficulties and who tugs at your heart strings?
The client who loves to be your "guinea pig" for nail art?
The client who you just love to bits, so you dont charge for replacements?
The client who is still your model after 1 year?

Pledge to believe in your worth!

After all, our local suppliers do not say.."discount for you today, as you are so lovely, and we need to keep your custom".

And no apologies to clients, just keep it simple and to the point.
Raise those full set prices (there's no more ideal time than right now).

Just think..if the full set price is realistic, you can still entice new clients with a (one off) special half way through the year, without it affecting your bottom line!

Its high time that we are paid our worth and stopped being suckers!

You are so right, some of us can be real softies! I personally need to constantly remind myself that this is how I make my living!! And every £x I discount is money in the clients pocket rather than my own!

This week I bought some pre-printed loyalty cards but now I can't decide what to do with them, i.e. how many appointments before you get something for free, and what the free treatment should be...

Now I've read your thread maybe I'll just put them away :lol:

Hi Zozo, loyalty cards IMO can be a good thing, especially for beauty treatments.
You do need to remember the cost of those cards though, and factor that in. Don't be too generous.
The greatest reward, i think, for a client, is receiving quality work. That is priceless.

Bit early for New Years..but this is a cracking idea..i reckon:)
How about we all pledge, as professionals, we will no longer be sucked in by clients who try to receive discounts on nail services?

You know the type..client x who swears their nail just "fell off".
Or the client who is experiencing financial difficulties and who tugs at your heart strings?
The client who loves to be your "guinea pig" for nail art?
The client who you just love to bits, so you dont charge for replacements?
The client who is still your model after 1 year?

Pledge to believe in your worth!

After all, our local suppliers do not say.."discount for you today, as you are so lovely, and we need to keep your custom".

And no apologies to clients, just keep it simple and to the point.
Raise those full set prices (there's no more ideal time than right now).

Just think..if the full set price is realistic, you can still entice new clients with a (one off) special half way through the year, without it affecting your bottom line!

Its high time that we are paid our worth and stopped being suckers!
i think you are right....its time to tell the world....us nail tech,s....are worth our weight in gold...thank you huni xxx

My New Year's Resolutions for Nails are going to be:

1. Cut the evenings I work down to only 2 or 3 a week.

2. Be brave enough to increase the maintenance prices especially French rebalance which is going up again because it really should due to the time it takes

3. Stop being bullied into early evening appointments ie 6.30/6.45 which really are a pain esp with kids coming home with homework they need help with. I'm going to make 7.30 the absolute first slot. My family are feeling it because I'm always trying to hurry everything, to be ready for a client . . . they want a bit of me back and I think that's only fair.

4. Wear my dustmask. I am asthmatic anyway and I really don't need any extra aggravation.

I'll add any more I think of. . .

Good thread

Well I will do my abserloute best to follow these resolutions,
I need to keep remembering, I am a business now, not running a hobby shop anymore.
I need the money if I ever want to get anywhere...for every "just 2.50 so i'll knock it off not to worry" client...
I could be loosing an abserloute fortune per year....
so NO MORE !!!

(although i might need a little kick up the bum off fellow geeks to remind me of it every now and then :lol:)

i think you are right....its time to tell the world....us nail tech,s....are worth our weight in gold...thank you huni xxx
Thats right,SJ, you hit the nail on the head:), we are worth our weight in gold!

My New Year's Resolutions for Nails are going to be:

1. Cut the evenings I work down to only 2 or 3 a week.

2. Be brave enough to increase the maintenance prices especially French rebalance which is going up again because it really should due to the time it takes

3. Stop being bullied into early evening appointments ie 6.30/6.45 which really are a pain esp with kids coming home with homework they need help with. I'm going to make 7.30 the absolute first slot. My family are feeling it because I'm always trying to hurry everything, to be ready for a client . . . they want a bit of me back and I think that's only fair.

4. Wear my dustmask. I am asthmatic anyway and I really don't need any extra aggravation.

I'll add any more I think of. . .

Good thread
Good on you Blossom, it is very hard to juggle family and work life..if we freely give too much of ourselves, then other areas of our life begin to suffer..especially when we have young ones. We can not do it all in this situation, no matter how much we want to. So at the very least we need to charge accordingly.
The dustmask would be the top of my list if i had asthma.:hug:

Well I will do my abserloute best to follow these resolutions,
I need to keep remembering, I am a business now, not running a hobby shop anymore.
I need the money if I ever want to get anywhere...for every "just 2.50 so i'll knock it off not to worry" client...
I could be loosing an abserloute fortune per year....
so NO MORE !!!

(although i might need a little kick up the bum off fellow geeks to remind me of it every now and then :lol:)
Have you added up those amounts yet,Emmsy? Your yearly training would be covered..dare you to add it up!:lol:
Your work is lovely and certainly not hobbyist quality..every geek knows how passionate you are!
For a reminder I may drag this thread up mid year...for your kick up the bum:)

wow this is a great thread , i am getting better since doing my business course but am still a soft touch , ie. last week did a replacement on a client who is lovely and she was saying how skint she was , life was so bad etc etc ...... so what did i do ??? said "oh dont bother paying this time " :eek:, ffs i am such an idiot !!!
but saying that i have raised my prices (a lot !!) :lol: as i was doing em for 20 quid before (they were always on offer !) but no more

do you think we should do lines ? "i will not give freebies " about 100 times a day and we might get it to sink in , haha

OMG Dee..you are a sucker FFS:lol: Good on you for raising them..20 quid is way too cheap!
I think you had better do lines right now! PMSL:hug:

PS for help if you need it.. I did a price list with the heading of "New Price List". I kept this in full view of each and every client so it was unmissable..I did not apologise for it..and my clients were totally fine about it (although giving them a fortnights notice is good:lol:)
Also, the moment I am finished with my client, i whip out my book to prebook (rebalances)or "check" thier next appointment (if its a replacement) and they witness me writing in the price of the service next to thier name..this works every single time.:)

well i find that a problem , with being mobile/ home based they dont seem to want to make follow up appointments , they just seem to think i will be free when they want !
i think i will have to start lying and say i am chocka busy , hahaha

Maybe say to them, with christmas coming up, you are advising everyone to pre book to ensure they recieve the appointment slot that suits them..along the lines of that clients preferred time being your top prority?
Even pop a few fake names in eg your sisters and aunties,neighbours etc? (where you do not want to work?)Alls fair in bizz IMO:) At least you can plan your fortnight and ensure clients come back on time..and preferably when it suits you?

i might actually put a bit on my website saying book for xmas as appointments are runnning out fast :lol:, i am just rubbish at lying tho !! but i suppose its about potraying the right image isnt it ?
if you are seen as a high flyer then people believe it , where as if you are seen as someone that does it here and there you dont seem to be taken seriously ,

god i cant believe my brain is thinking this hard at this hour on a sunday morning , lol

It takes practice,Dee, but is easy whilst keeping your eyes on your work, or flipping through your full book..and yes, it is all about portraying the right image.:)
Feel free to pm me for fibbing tips, ROFL
icon_wink.gif

lol if you are on msn hun feel free to add me , i love chatting to other geeks , :green:
[email protected]

Try this for a New Year's Resolution... DO NOT OPEN ANOTHER POT, JAR, CONTAINER, OF ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE USED UP THE OLD ONE!!! This is hard to do but I'll tell you, you'll save $$. This goes for jars of food in your fridge to cans of hairspray to pots of gel!!!! It was the best resolution I've held for the last 2 years and now it has become "who I am". I still have old opened pots of products etc that I opened a few years ago - I'm still trying to use them up. It takes some self discipline!

Latest posts

Back