Nail techs, please help a beginner out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellocaitlin

Reaction score
Dear Nail Techs,

I’m currently saving up for some training, but I’m not sure which training to go with! If anyone could take a look at two training courses I’ve been looking at and help me through choosing I’d be so appreciative.

I’m a complete beginner, and I’d love to be able to take care of natural nails, polish with gel, and sculpt nail extensions. I’m not sure whether I’d prefer to do gel or acrylic extensions yet.

Course one:

“CND™ Liquid and Powder Beginners

This is a 6 day course with an on-line home study (the 6 days are non-consecutive - spread over 6 weeks).

£625.00 + VAT / €750.00

The CND™ Liquid & Powder course develops your skills using our unique Retention+™ technology to create strong, durable enhancements with superior clarity and brightness and scratch resistant, ultra smooth finish. The pre-class home study is added to enhance your learning and increase your hands-on time in class.

A detailed description of what is covered on each day:
Home Study - You will receive a textbook once your booking is confirmed. You will be required to study the book and complete the online pre-assessment prior to attending day 1. The pass rate is 70%. You can take the pre-assessment as many times as you need.

Day 1 - Health and Safety, Contraindications, Natural Nail Anatomy, Preparation of the Natural Nail, Introduction to the Nail Shapes, Table Set Up.
Day 2 - Liquid and Powder science and product overview, Mix Ratio, Zone Sculpting, Finishing Technique, CND™ 5 Point Polish Method.
Day 3 - Tip Application, Application Practice.
Day 4 - Elements of Good Design, Form Application, Sculpting on Forms, Removal, Vinylux™ Application.
Day 5 - Rebalance and Removal.
Day 6 - Practical Assessment.

Additional Information:
Your course includes a kit worth £300/€360
Kit includes - Nail Trainer, Paper Desk Roll, Double Ended Pushie, Lint Free Gauze Pads, Tip Chrome Cutter, Vinylux Top Coat, Vinylux Colour Coat, Dsolve, CND™ Liquid Systems Kit.

Each day is 10 am to 4.30 pm with a 45 min lunch break.
Day 1-3 - Please attend the course with both hands free from any product, you will be required to work on yourself or with a partner.
Day 4-6 - A model is required from 10.30 am until 4.30 pm. The same model each day is preferable, but not essential.
Please note that bookings must be made at least 14 days before the start of the class to allow for sufficient home study.”

Course two:

“Course cost £669.69
Kit cost £422.16
Total: £1091.76

Full GelBottle course covers the basics any beginner will need to start using our amazing products. Day 1 we will cover all the theory, prepping the nail, application, technique, and removal of gel polish and learning the best way to use BIAB and days 2 and 3 we cover gel extensions using GelPot on tips and sculpting forms. No entry requirement is needed.

We don't cover any basic manicure or pedicures with regular polish so if you want to do that before it could work but it's not compulsory and you can do ours as there isn't an entry requirement.”

Any advice for a complete beginner would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Hi I’m in the same position as you! Are these the only courses you have looked at so far? I wish there was more info available online for INK and ikon.iq courses to help research a bit more. There are so many I don’t know where to start.

Hi I’m in the same position as you! Are these the only courses you have looked at so far? I wish there was more info available online for INK and ikon.iq courses to help research a bit more. There are so many I don’t know where to start.

These are the only courses I have had replies about when emailing, they're also my top two choices I think. I took a look in to the brand ethics and The Gel Bottle (second course) really stands out to me.. it's also the most expensive! I'm really wary of buying in to a brand name because it's 'trendy' and want to be sure that they aren't just overcharging me because their look is cool.

It’s so difficult isn’t it! I think I’m going to also prioritise the brands least likely to cause allergies as I’m sensitive to everything :rolleyes: no point in branding yourself, spending ££ on training/products then not being able to use can you imagine!

From those two I'd choose CND (I'm a CND trained tech and highly recommend them) - they've been in the game here in the UK for 40 years, win numerous awards for training, here and internationally.

TGB are relatively new on the scene, approx 5/6 years, their training courses are newer, I haven't seen many reviews so far. The only thing that bothers me is the issues with their products. If you use the search option you will find details about the issues with onycholisis and allergy

Hi trinity. Yes I have seen lots of recent complaints about TGB so I would personally hold off that until reassured. I’m in the Channel Islands so will also have to look into what brands I can get shipped here easier as well to go alongside all of the other considerations! First things first is get myself booked on a mani/pedi course luckily I can do this on island the rest il be travelling for. It is exciting having so many options available I’m becoming obsessed with researching :)

As a total beginner, from the 2 courses you’ve chosen you would receive the best training from CND. I don’t think anyone would question the quality of their education.
Having used TGB in the past I became very disappointed in their lack of knowledge, dishonesty and apparent lack of support to their increasing number of customers who have and still are experiencing severe cases of nail separation after using their products.

CND, no question. You are also investing not only in internationally respected education, but Brisa and Shellac are hypoallergenic so very low allergy risk. That may not be top priority now, but the number of nail product allergies is at epidemic levels (according to the British Association of Dermatologists).

If we hadn't developed our own hypoallergenic brand 10 years ago, we'd work with CND in our salons. Have the greatest respect for Jan Arnold, who we have met several times, and Sam & Samuel at Sweet Squared who are also knowledgable, dedicated and charming.

Latest posts

Back