Nail techs riding rough shod over me, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonkydyson

Reaction score
Help - I have been fortunate enough to get 2 new nail techs with a loyal and large client base. They had never used shellac before, but obv loved the colours and sparkly finishes. I have told them that if they apply over new tips, or existing extensions then they must use their clear gel (builder for strength) cure, then use the shellac of choice x 2 coats and finish with shellac top coat.

Here's the problem - because I'm not a Nailian :-D they have kind of ignored me, treated it like a colour gel finishing with a coat of clear gel and then the shellac! This is causing problems. Firstly we keep having to do repairs because the shellac is separating from the enhancement secondly because they have sandwiched a soak off product between two layers of hard gel it is a nightmare to remove for clients if they want a change etc. Clients are also somewhat confused?

Am I right in the way it should be applied on extensions? And am i right about the peeling/separating, we never have this problem when correctly applied to clients own nails.

I am tempted to only let my beauty therapists use the shellac on their regular manicure ladies?

I would send them on the training course personally. That way they are taught the correct way of applying and removing and they are more likely to do it right than listen to you who isn't a tech (no offence intended obv)

Help - I have been fortunate enough to get 2 new nail techs with a loyal and large client base. They had never used shellac before, but obv loved the colours and sparkly finishes. I have told them that if they apply over new tips, or existing extensions then they must use their clear gel (builder for strength) cure, then use the shellac of choice x 2 coats and finish with shellac top coat.

Here's the problem - because I'm not a Nailian :-D they have kind of ignored me, treated it like a colour gel finishing with a coat of clear gel and then the shellac! This is causing problems. Firstly we keep having to do repairs because the shellac is separating from the enhancement secondly because they have sandwiched a soak off product between two layers of hard gel it is a nightmare to remove for clients if they want a change etc. Clients are also somewhat confused?

Am I right in the way it should be applied on extensions? And am i right about the peeling/separating, we never have this problem when correctly applied to clients own nails.

I am tempted to only let my beauty therapists use the shellac on their regular manicure ladies?

Hi

Shellac is only for natural nails only as its not strong enough to go over tips. If someone wanted tips you would need to apply gel over the tips, not just one thin coat but build a thicker builder layer with a stress area for added strength. Once the nails are a nice shape then the shellac colour can go straight over the gel, you wont need base coat, so 2 colour and 1 topcoat. HTH. Ax

Thank you Abbi- yes that helps,

Latest posts

Back