Nail tip application routine? advice.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Hi all :green:

I just started my course last night and we went through tip application :eek:
So i have tried to find a thread about this but i just seem to be so bad at searching so i was wondering if anyone would be willing to have a look through the routine we have been given and let me know what you think or even offer me some advice on things i must and must never do.
I understand that it will take me months of practice to get application down to a tee but really want to do as well as i can from the beginning.
Start as i mean to go on!

Tip application routine

1. Wash, dry and moisturise hands.

2. Sanatize equipment and place in bowls.

3. Gloves on.

4. Sanatize clients hands and check for CI.

5. Remove polish and check nail for CI.

6. Remove the free edge leaving approx. 1mm.

7. Remove the dead sink from the nail plate using dual tool in small circular movements. Wipe with nail wipe.

8. Wipe doen the nail using the nail buffer leaving a dull chalky look.

9. Size nails. File slighty if needed.

10. Apply nail prep to nail only.

11. Apply glue to well area of the tip, covering from edge to edge.

12. To apply tip hold it at a 45% angle and slowly pull it down until your hear it click or feel it drop into place.
Slowly push the tip on to the nail and hold.

13. Wipe off excess glue.

14. Apply tip blend.

15. Blend and buff.

16. Cut the nail tip to desired length.

17. File and finnish.

How does that sound?

ღMandyღ;634298 said:
Hi all :green:

I just started my course last night and we went through tip application :eek:
So i have tried to find a thread about this but i just seem to be so bad at searching so i was wondering if anyone would be willing to have a look through the routine we have been given and let me know what you think or even offer me some advice on things i must and must never do.
I understand that it will take me months of practice to get application down to a tee but really want to do as well as i can from the beginning.
Start as i mean to go on!

Tip application routine

2. Sanatize equipment and place in bowls.I have my equipment at the side of me

3. Gloves on.I cant work with gloves on

7. Remove the dead sink from the nail plate using dual tool in small circular movements. Wipe with nail wipe.apply cuticle remover

8. Wipe doen the nail using the nail buffer leaving a dull chalky look.beware not to over buff just take the shine off

12. To aaply tip hold it at a 45% angle and slowly pull it down until your hear it click or feel it drop into place.

14. Apply tip blend.I would avoid tip blender

15. Blend and buff.

17. File and finnish.

How does that sound?

Everyone works differently and sometimes you may be learnt something one way but find it easier to do it another way. A great time saver is to pre-tailor the tips before applying do a search for this. Good luck :)

Everyone works differently and sometimes you may be learnt something one way but find it easier to do it another way. A great time saver is to pre-tailor the tips before applying do a search for this. Good luck :)
Thanks for that Lellipop.
Unfortunatly we have to wear the gloves H&S and all that.
Will mention the cuticle remover cos i think it will give a better finnish.
Yeah i only do a lift buff so not to cause and damage or irritation but why do you recommend no tip blender?

ღMandyღ;634298 said:
12. To aaply tip hold it at a 45% angle and slowly pull it down until your hear it click or feel it drop into place.

Good tip that I was taught is to pull the tip down a bit further so that there is a gap between the natural free edge and the well of the tip.

Then gently move tip back and gently press down the tip on the nail.

This helps a lot with preventing airbubbles.

Marlise

Good tip that I was taught is to pull the tip down a bit further so that there is a gap between the natural free edge and the well of the tip.

Then gently move tip back and gently press down the tip on the nail.

This helps a lot with preventing airbubbles.

Marlise

Ok so it will distribute the glue over the full area?
You have to be fast though yeah?

ღMandyღ;634337 said:
Ok so it will distribute the glue over the full area?
You have to be fast though yeah?

Yes, you put your resin in the whole well area and then follow the procedure. You only have to pull the tip away from the free edge so that there is about a 1mm gap between the free edge and tip well, then "push" back.

You have to be fast, but not super fast :lol:

Once the tip is applied, you need to hold it down for about 15 - 20 seconds just to make sure it's properly attached.

Marlise

Yes, you put your resin in the whole well area and then follow the procedure. You only have to pull the tip away from the free edge so that there is about a 1mm gap between the free edge and tip well, then "push" back.

You have to be fast, but not super fast :lol:

Once the tip is applied, you need to hold it down for about 15 - 20 seconds just to make sure it's properly attached.

Marlise
Thanks for that advice Marlise, really appreciate it. :green:

I am going to take a camera in to college with me next week and take photos of my first attempt.
Will use all advice given. :lol:

Sounds good to me, but I would avoid the cuticle remover, I learnt nail extensions last year and we was told to a dry manicure, if the cuticles are really bad, then I would recommend doing a manicure before hand. It’s best to avoid putting too much moisture and oils onto the nail plate to help with adhesion later. Also I do find tip blend does help with blending.

Good luck with the nails, I had been learning with a qualified friend before taken my qualification, so I know how hard it seems to start with but once you get going its like you've been doing it for years.

:lol:

ღMandyღ;634323 said:
Thanks for that Lellipop.
Unfortunatly we have to wear the gloves H&S and all that.
Will mention the cuticle remover cos i think it will give a better finnish.
Yeah i only do a lift buff so not to cause and damage or irritation but why do you recommend no tip blender?
We recommend not to use tip blender because
reason 1 it is quicker and more efficient to blend with a file
reason 2 the blending product drys out the nail tip and causes it to split, so causing you problems where the enhancement doesnt last as long as it should do hth

ღMandyღ;634298 said:
Tip application routine

2. Sanatize equipment and place in bowls.

3. Gloves on.

Apply cuticle remover (as Lell said)

7. Remove the dead sink from the nail plate using dual tool in small circular movements. Wipe with nail wipe.

Remove cuticle remover with a soap free solution such as Citrusoak mixed with water.

Remove as much of the well as possible leaving a slither of tip, tips don't provide strength to the enhancement, the product does, so removing the majority of the tip contact area leaves more room for product on the nailplate.

Apply adhesive to the natural nail prior to applying the tip, double adhering is better IMO.

14. Apply tip blend.

I wouldn't use tip blender, it contains acetone and can continue to 'work' on the tip after you've applied your product. It also clogs up your abrasives and leaves a nasty gunky mess.

15. Blend and buff.

Cut tip to size before blending otherwise you're blending tip that you'll be removing with your tip cutters, therefore making more work for yourself.

17. File and finnish.

How does that sound?
Gigi wrote a fab tutorial on blending... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...le-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html

hth's

Sounds good to me, but I would avoid the cuticle remover, I learnt nail extensions last year and we was told to a dry manicure, if the cuticles are really bad, then I would recommend doing a manicure before hand. It’s best to avoid putting too much moisture and oils onto the nail plate to help with adhesion later. Also I do find tip blend does help with blending.
Applying cuticle remover is the same as a dry manicure, a wet manicure is when the nails are soaked, soaking isn't advisable prior to applying enhancements due to the nailplate swelling and shrinkage afterwards.
Using a product such as Creative Cuticle Remover helps a lot because it really starts to work on the 'cuticle' that's adhered to the nailplate, it makes removing non-living tissue a breeze but has to be thoroughly removed before applying product otherwise you'll experience lifting.
hth's

posh paws said:
Tip application routine

1. Wash, dry and moisturise hands. Not so sure about the moisturising
2. Sanatize equipment and place in bowls. i also place mine next to me on couch roll.

3. Gloves on. i don't wear gloves

11. Apply glue to well area of the tip, covering from edge to edge. i then tap excess glue off on couch roll. (if that makes sense)

14. Apply tip blend. i don't recommend tip blend either!

15. Blend and buff. I cut the tip first

17. File and finnish.

How does that sound?

Hope all goes well look forward to seeing your pictures :hug:

Good luck with the nails, I had been learning with a qualified friend before taken my qualification, so I know how hard it seems to start with but once you get going its like you've been doing it for years.

:lol:

Thanks for that hun :)

We recommend not to use tip blender because
reason 1 it is quicker and more efficient to blend with a file
reason 2 the blending product drys out the nail tip and causes it to split, so causing you problems where the enhancement doesnt last as long as it should do hth
Ok so we applied tip blend and then used a file to blend it down? is this incorrect?

Gigi wrote a fab tutorial on blending... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...le-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html

hth's

Applying cuticle remover is the same as a dry manicure, a wet manicure is when the nails are soaked, soaking isn't advisable prior to applying enhancements due to the nailplate swelling and shrinkage afterwards.
Using a product such as Creative Cuticle Remover helps a lot because it really starts to work on the 'cuticle' that's adhered to the nailplate, it makes removing non-living tissue a breeze but has to be thoroughly removed before applying product otherwise you'll experience lifting.
hth's
Thanks very much for this. Appreciate your help.

Hope all goes well look forward to seeing your pictures :hug:
Hi Michelle

The reason why we wash, dry then moisturise our hands is for H&S.
This big thing with dermatitis has just gone crazy and we are now being made to moisturise after every wash.
Suppose it's a good habit to get into as i have seen the effects some of these hand washes can do.
Same with the gloves but we can't wear latex, so when we moisturise it doesn't make a difference to the client cos we are wearing gloves so no transfer of oil will occur.
I'm sure you all will LOL when you see my first attempt but i will show you all for sure.
Thanks hun. :)

mmmmmm, what next ? nails in an oxygen tent.
An interesting procedure (although personally i think some of it is overkill)
gloves, moisturiser, but i suppose you have to follow the rules set down.

I would never size tips up first, as I size them I apply to the nails (why put them down on the table, then pick them up again?), put them down (on the nails), this all saves time. I'd also never use tip blender (learn to use your files and filing technique properly).

In some states here we have quite bizarre rules being put forth, new brush for polish everytime, no hand towels at all (hand-dryers only), sinks to be within 1.5 metres of the desks (no taps, they have to have hands free operation), new files for every clients, where will it end ?

mmmmmm, what next ? nails in an oxygen tent.
An interesting procedure (although personally i think some of it is overkill)
gloves, moisturiser, but i suppose you have to follow the rules set down.

I would never size tips up first, as I size them I apply to the nails (why put them down on the table, then pick them up again?), put them down (on the nails), this all saves time. I'd also never use tip blender (learn to use your files and filing technique properly).

In some states here we have quite bizarre rules being put forth, new brush for polish everytime, no hand towels at all (hand-dryers only), sinks to be within 1.5 metres of the desks (no taps, they have to have hands free operation), new files for every clients, where will it end ?
Health and saftey, health and safety, health and saftey!
We can't go to the loo in college without something to do with health and safety being involved, lol.

I get what you're saying about sizing up then applying straight away, think we might do that as the course progresses.

Thing is when they come up with all these rules and regulation they don't for one minute think about the cost to us therapists or the knock on effect to our customers. :irked:

You know, I think if you only just started your course (and it is a good course) you should go with it for now!

There are many, many techniques that people use and everyone believes their's is the right one. As long as you are not doing any damage, understand what you are doing any why and get good results, the technique is right.

If you start questioning at this early stage you will just get confused. Give your teacher a chance. If your results aren't good, try to solve it woth your teacher. If it's still horribly wrong, come back on here.

For the trainers on here, think about it!!

Latest posts

Back