Nail tip application routine? advice.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I think if you only just started your course (and it is a good course) you should go with it for now!

There are many, many techniques that people use and everyone believes their's is the right one. As long as you are not doing any damage, understand what you are doing any why and get good results, the technique is right.

If you start questioning at this early stage you will just get confused. Give your teacher a chance. If your results aren't good, try to solve it woth your teacher. If it's still horribly wrong, come back on here.

For the trainers on here, think about it!!

Hi Mum

I would never go against what my tutor is teaching me, i have more respect than that but at the end of the day it doesn't mean that the way we are taught is the best way of doing things.
Every tutor, college, academy teach differently.
I know my tutor personally and if i get any tips or advice for fellow geeks i know i could discuss any of them with her and get her opinion too.

I totally understand where you are coming from but if someone can give me a tip or a piece of advice that will help me in my training or help me do a certain thing better then i would and do apperciate it.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

I agree with mums post.
Mandy..i understand where you are coming from, i really do. Learning nails is a long process..and just the routine in getting the tips on can be daunting by itself..but thats what it is..the colleges routine. I would not over educate myself until your course is finished with..(it will only lead to confusion)then you can work your preferred way..keep in mind you will have your practical coming up..where the assessor (friend or not) will be looking out for everyone to follow what has been taught...you need to have it down pat.

You know, I think if you only just started your course (and it is a good course) you should go with it for now!

There are many, many techniques that people use and everyone believes their's is the right one. As long as you are not doing any damage, understand what you are doing any why and get good results, the technique is right.

If you start questioning at this early stage you will just get confused. Give your teacher a chance. If your results aren't good, try to solve it woth your teacher. If it's still horribly wrong, come back on here.

For the trainers on here, think about it!!

Do exactly as your tutor says now so you can pass... There is plenty of time to find your own routine.. one that works for you.. give your tutor the benifit of the doubt.. I really try to respect everything my tutor is teaching me.. the last thing any teacher wants is someone who thinks they know better.. I AM NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT YOU!!! I have been in situations where experianced techs have done nothing but question a tutors teaching and it really effects the trainer and the other students.. In my cert II we had a know all who was really disrupting!
again I AM NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT YOU!!! I think your great and extremely excited.. as I still am..so i get where your coming from, just dont confuse yourself.. its easy done mate!

Yea basicaly... what mum said!:hug:

I reply to you who say to go with my tutor, I am, as i said i would not be disrespectful towards her but at the end of the day as i read all of you threads different ideas get thrown into the mix and i take it all in, but there would be no way i would start discussing these ideas with my tutor or fellow students without questioning why you do it this way or that.
Hence why i have put my question to you all and then questioned if needed.
I will pass my course the way my tutor has taught me, i'm not gonna waste my time of money by messing it up doing things i don't understand but i still would like you all to tell me your little pieces of advice, things that really do make it easier for you.
For instance if using tip blend can weaken the tip and cause it to split then there is no harm in me trying to blend without it at home on a friend so that i can see for myself how i find it and then having a private chat with my tutor about it?

Thank you ALL for your comments.
Now i'm off for my nails done for the wedding tomorrow, will post a pic later.
Have a nice day :)

When you were all discussing cuticle remover a thought occurred to me. If cuticle remover helps to remove the non-living tissue from the nail plate by softening it, would it start to soften the actual nail too if left on for too long? If so, how long is "too long"? Sorry for inserting this question in the middle of a thread, but I thought as it is relating to information being discussed that I would. Appologies if I'm wrong!

When you were all discussing cuticle remover a thought occurred to me. If cuticle remover helps to remove the non-living tissue from the nail plate by softening it, would it start to soften the actual nail too if left on for too long? If so, how long is "too long"? Sorry for inserting this question in the middle of a thread, but I thought as it is relating to information being discussed that I would. Appologies if I'm wrong!

marioned i think this is why we have to "wash off" after we have aplied cuticle remover with either soapy water or citrusoak as lell said. otherwise it will just continue to work on the area, it has to be neutralized.

this is what i have been taught just in my foundation, so i hope i've remembered correctly ! if not someone give me a
:smack:.

Mandy a great tip i have for tips (no pun intended) is to d-bulk the tip before applying it to the nail. it saves trying to do it when the tip on the nail and is much easier and also stops you from over filling the natural nail. By this i mean the area where you need to blend as you have already thinned most of it.

Also shouldn't there be scrubfresh in the list ?

if not scrubfresh then something similar due to it being a college course and not a creative one. sorry not sure of other makes:confused:

marioned i think this is why we have to "wash off" after we have aplied cuticle remover with either soapy water or citrusoak as lell said. otherwise it will just continue to work on the area, it has to be neutralized.

this is what i have been taught just in my foundation, so i hope i've remembered correctly ! if not someone give me a
:smack:.

Mandy a great tip i have for tips (no pun intended) is to d-bulk the tip before applying it to the nail. it saves trying to do it when the tip on the nail and is much easier and also stops you from over filling the natural nail. By this i mean the area where you need to blend as you have already thinned most of it.

Also shouldn't there be scrubfresh in the list ?

if not scrubfresh then something similar due to it being a college course and not a creative one. sorry not sure of other makes:confused:
Scrubfresh de-greases the nail plate????
If yes then we have a spray for that but if it is a good product then i may invest in some.
That must save some time when blending if you have already thinned.
Thank's for your tips on tips :lol:

ღMandyღ;635621 said:
Scrubfresh de-greases the nail plate????
If yes then we have a spray for that but if it is a good product then i may invest in some.
Scrubfresh is a cleanser, it will remove any oil (temporarily dehydrate) on the nail prior to product aplication, however, if you've got a spray that you use that does that already and goes with your chosen system then it's best to continue using that for the time being, it's always better to stay within your brand as those products are designed to work together.
If your spray contains acetone then you must make sure that it doesn't touch the tip as it will cause cracking/splitting.

hth's

I agree absolutely with Marian and I can see this thread becoming a jumble of advise that will end up in confusion etc.

Colleges teach with tip blender because they dont want to spend the time teaching correct filing technique. Using Tip blender causes more potential problems in the end than learning safe and correct techniques.

lEARN THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY ... we do not use GLUE in our industry. We use adhesive ... there is a difference and a professional will know what that difference is and use the correct terms.

There is no harm at all in using a cuticle remover (cream or otherwise) to loosen the dead skin (cuticle) from the plate before attacking it with an implement. Using it will not cause lifting or any other problems as long as the nail plate is dehydrated before the product is applied. Using a Cuticle remover is actually much kinder and healthier to the nail plate and it suffers less damage from the metal tool.

Learn from your education provider and KEEP ON LEARNING ... BUT
Do ask the experts .... otherwise you will often be getting answers such as
"Well I think ...." etc. It is not what someone thinks MIGHT be the case, you want to know what IS the case. One nail tech teching another is not the way to go unless that person is a well educated trainer. So many bad habits and misinformation are passed on from one nail tech to another.
Ask those who have earned the right to teach and have the credentials to do so, and the reputation to go with it. There are plenty right here on this site.

Learn from your education provider and KEEP ON LEARNING ... BUT
Do ask the experts .... otherwise you will often be getting answers such as
"Well I think ...." etc. It is not what someone thinks MIGHT be the case, you want to know what IS the case. One nail tech teching another is not the way to go unless that person is a well educated trainer. So many bad habits and misinformation are passed on from one nail tech to another.
Ask those who have earned the right to teach and have the credentials to do so, and the reputation to go with it. There are plenty right here on this site.
I have read this a few times over..and still feel confused with the meaning you are trying to convey with this..especially the highlighted areas..we are all here to help..and alot of information IMO that is passed on through this site isnt misinformation..alot of us are well trained and helpful with the right advice..even though quite a few of us are neither trainers or "experts". For me personally i feel this devalues any advice i can give, as i am not an "expert". Should mandy be PMing trainers rather than posting for advice? Isnt this what salongeek is all about..being able to help each other?:confused:

I think its more to do with while someone is in training....its fine to get tips and advise on here from other geeks once you have done your training, but until then i can see it doing more harm than good due to the mixed responses and those conflicting with what your tutor is showing you, therefore you not really knowing who or what you should be listening too.

Finish your training as you are being shown....then when/if you are experiencing problems, ask away.

I think its more to do with while someone is in training....its fine to get tips and advise on here from other geeks once you have done your training, but until then i can see it doing more harm than good due to the mixed responses and those conflicting with what your tutor is showing you, therefore you not really knowing who or what you should be listening too.

Finish your training as you are being shown....then when/if you are experiencing problems, ask away.

Thanks Angie, my point exactly.

I just wondered when everyone says don,t apply tip blend do you mean just blend the nail in using just the blocks etc. I was taught to blend with acetone first .

I just wondered when everyone says don,t apply tip blend do you mean just blend the nail in using just the blocks etc. I was taught to blend with acetone first .

tip blend is acetone...read Geeg's advise above on using tip blend. I was taught to blend a nail tip using a file...i don't see how a white block can get right to the corners of your tip and also due to its size i would think there is more chance of catching the natural nail.

That sounds so much better!:)

If you are all worried that i am gonna mess up on my course cos i am asking for advice then listen to this.
A woman who i know from college did my nails for a wedding on saturday, she trained with the same tutor i have now and i don't know if i should get them off before i go into college on wednesday or not.
I don't think my tutor will be overly happy when she sees them.
Ok so they don't look straight, they don't look equal in length or shape. I was really disapointed with them.
She works in a salon and i think she has just fell straight in to bad habbits.
The brides mums nails were supposed to be oval but looked like my little girl had been at them.
Now i am going to try and take pics and add them to this post, wish me luck!
Let me know what you think i should do ok? :irked:

ღMandyღ;635991 said:
If you are all worried that i am gonna mess up on my course cos i am asking for advice then listen to this.
A woman who i know from college did my nails for a wedding on saturday, she trained with the same tutor i have now and i don't know if i should get them off before i go into college on wednesday or not.
I don't think my tutor will be overly happy when she sees them.
Ok so they don't look straight, they don't look equal in length or shape. I was really disapointed with them.
She works in a salon and i think she has just fell straight in to bad habbits.
The brides mums nails were supposed to be oval but looked like my little girl had been at them.
Now i am going to try and take pics and add them to this post, wish me luck!
Let me know what you think i should do ok? :irked:

if this woman you know from college is also in training then they ain't going to be perfect are they...she is just training and even after that she will need lots of practise before her nails are anywhere near perfect...i personally don't want to see the pics, i think its very unfair. x

i personally don't want to see the pics, i think its very unfair. x
I agree with you Angie.

We don't encourage posting pics of nails done by other people when the intention is to pick them to pieces and find fault, it isn't fair on the technician who did them, especially as her permission wouldn't have been sought in the first place.

She isn't training, she's qualified.
No photos will be posted but they are going to have to come off as they are looking bad.
Thanks for advice though.

Just wanted to let you know that i applied my first set of tips tonight and both me and my tutor were very pleased with them.
I need to spend more time on my sizing of the tips but my blending was v good and i was very surprised.
One problem thought, the tip blend DID split one of my nails and one of the other girls had all of hers split, so we discussed this with our tutor and that i had been told by other professionals that this could happen, so thank you to those that gave me that advice and it has been very helpfull :)
Also i would like to mention my nails that i had done on the weekend.
I spoke with a tutor about them and she said that they were done very poorly and that i should speak with her about them.
At least i have seen first hand what results slack workmanship can give.
Anyway thank you for the advice you gave me and it has helped when problems have popped up.
Any more?
:hug:

Latest posts

Back