Nail tips or sculptures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracys Beauty

Serenity Beauty Boutique
Reaction score
hi i have been doing nails for years now but now i have gone self employed and most of my clients want extensions so i have done 2 more courses to keep up to date,
when i done my acrylic course in 2000 i was tought how to do sculptures but never did them after that, but on my recent course was shown again, i just wondered what everyone else prefers to do and what is most popular out of the two.:eek:

99% of the nails I do are sculpts. However, I don't charge extra as most new clients don't know what sculpts are and in any case they are cheaper and quicker to do. Sculpts all the way for me.

I only do my own nails and occasionally on friends, personally I prefer sculpting and find that much easier :hug:

I always sculpt unless there is no free edge at all to hold the form in place

99% i am a tipper have sculpted when the need arises but love to work with tips.....

I love sculpting! :green: I use the Tammy Taylor competitive edge nail forms (the ones with the wings) That way I can apply all my forms and stick down the little wings and have them all applied and ready to go and they stay put.

I love to sculpt, but find they have a tendency to fit flatter nails better.

I don't really think it matters if you tip or sculpt, do whatever you are comfortable with & can produce the best results with. Don't be tempted to use a method (whatever that might be) that you are not the most comfortable with & cannot produce your best work with. Sometimes I feel there can be a perceived snobbery to produce nails in one medium over another, do what you are good at & be comfortable with it. At the end of the day, if you can produce an great set of nails in XXX amount of time, whether they be tips or sculpts it dosen't really matter, the end result will speak for itself.

Good luck with the self employed thing, it's scary to begin with but if you are producing the goods (either method!!) it can be far more lucrative than being an employee!!

Last edited:
well, I must say that I enjoy both. But as I began practicing more and more...I really enjoy sculpting. I feel that you can create something with your own 'touch' to it. And I must say, if you become VERY good at it, you will save time....

mz.angie:green:

Sculpting is my preference but do tips when the need arises x

100 % sculptured...!!

i use nail tips but then i cannot sculpt

i do want to learn sculpting though

Tipper here!!

but I am going to be working more on my sculpts...I don't think anyone in my city does sculpts (that I know of)

i use nail tips but then i cannot sculpt

i do want to learn sculpting though

a good way is to buy some good forms (i like creative forms) and next time a client comes with break, repair it by sculpting ... it builds your confidence up till you are ready to do a full set.

I do both, but after sculpting for a while now i have just got back into tips....and realise how much i had missed tips.

I love tips... but then I like the little boxes all stacked up....:lol:

I am still wary of sculpts... I only really like sculpting for repairs....

but it's early days for me...

During the consult, I ask.
If they are unsure/dont know I let them know the difference and go from there.
I have some long time 10+ year clients that shriek when they see a box of tips. Drama..
I have clients that have never seen a form.
If you educate your client from the very first day, you will keep them for life or at least a long time.:)
I do tease, tell them they will get what I give them.

i love sculpts and tipsi suppose its upto the client and the look of there nails as to tip or sculpt...xx

Sculptor all the way, I do use tips on the rare occasion when I can't sculpt or sculpting doesn't suit.

If took me a few years and a few courses to get to grips with it though as I was never taught on my initial course how to sculpt.

Horses for courses............everyones different.
Personally I dont find that sculpts work for everyone, not everyone has a nail shape that suits forms, and some dont have the required free edge.

Personally, I sculpt repairs, and I sculpt my mums thumbs as she has freakishly wide thumbs that a size 1 tip just doesnt go anywhere near!!

I only ever did one full set of sculpts, the client loved them, so perhaps I should consider them more, but its just a reflex action to reach for the tips!!

Do what works for you, take into consideration what others do, but ultimately you will find your own way of working that suits you.

Best wishes.

Horses for courses............everyones different.
Personally I dont find that sculpts work for everyone, not everyone has a nail shape that suits forms, and some dont have the required free edge.
Forms can be tailored, using curved scissors to fit the majority of nail shapes and the free edge issue can be gotten around with form placement and custom blending.

I do have 3 clients who prefer tips to sculpts though for new sets or repairs....that's their preferance, so I go with it.

Latest posts

Back