Nails | 3D Nails...Fab or Faff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The nail industry has never been as exciting as it is now. Those who have been in it for years are pushing all sorts of creative boundaries and those who have just discovered it are jumping in feet first. Whether it's two-week manicures, glitter, decals, wraps, caviar, effects or crystals, literally, anything goes today.

Right now, it's all about 3D nails. Nail wrap companies are creating textured, 3D designs, polish manufactures are offering caviar, feathers, glitter, bows (basically anything small enough to sit somewhere on the nail) avid amateur nail artists are rooting through craft stores to see what they can stick on and nail techs are creating simply unbelievable 3D nails designs that appear to transcend manicures and wander confidently into the realms of art (just ask the fabulous Ryan Lanji who has curated nail art and presented exhibitions that rival anything you'll see at the Tate).

Yesterday saw the launch of the much awaited Leather effect polish from nails inc. and with it comes some awesome embellishments. Skulls and leather are everywhere you look in clothes shops, so why not wear them on your nails? The much revered (and Salon Geek fave) British Beauty Blogger blogged her opinion of the new offering from nails inc. HERE and gave it a massive thumbs up...although she did admit that she couldn't get the skull embellishment attached (mostly because she couldn't get the lid of the glue) but it (finally, I hear you say!) brings me to my point.

It doesn't matter what it is about 3D embellishments, the simple fact is that, while they look pretty, it's possible that they are more faff than fab. I had Swarowski crystals added to my manicure and promptly managed to get my hand tangled in my hair. That was about six minutes before the first crystal fell off and promptly my two-week embellished manicure became a source of irritation for the next thirteen days, 23 hours and 14 minutes. The skulls from nails inc. look awesome (not to mention some amazing things that they've got coming up next year) but really, unless you're standing still in one of Ryan Lanji's gorgeous exhibitions, can you really get through regular life with 3D nails?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Find British Beauty Blogger HERE
Find Ryan Lanji HERE.
Find nails inc. Leather HERE

Images courtesy of nails inc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 07.32.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 07.32.03.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 477
I LOVE how far we can push the creative boundaries using 3D BUT, they are most definitely not for the every day manicure.

Having said that, I don't agree about the crystals. Mine have been placed onto my matte manicure with just a little adhesive and all are still present, 2 weeks later!

Great article =]

I LOVE seeing 3D art and must say the leather look polish excites me a little, but I for one can not keep my 3D embellishments on, they get in stuck in my hair and I cheese grate them so it puts me off offering it to my clients, I manage to keep on crystals and 3D water decals and wraps so offer them instead :D xx

3D seems very popular on here, but I hold my hands up and say that I just don't like it. I do see the creative side though and some pictures are amazing with the intricate details that have been achieved.

I hadn't thought of crystals being 3D and I love full coverage Swarovski toes.

Love 3D used to love it back in the 80's too, that's where I discovered myself ...... clients love it too, unfortunately nobody wants to pay what it's worth:cry:
And now ..... those hideous 3D moulds, whatever happened to "delicate" and "feminine", gawd they make nails look like someone has torn the top off a cupcake and put it on a nail :lick:

FAB!

I love nothing more than encrusting nails in stuff, crystals and glitter are the ones for me I think... sand from the beach being another story!

This is art work for me rather than just a nail job... encrusting the nails in what ever chosen embellishment looks great from all angles when done in certain ways.

Some 3d nail art yes, looks totally naff but isn't that the same for most nail applications? All are at risk at looking naff... take French for instance. Depending on the tech, a French can look totaly hit or completely Shhh... ....rubbish :D

I am going to get my nails done on Saturday with bows, a little worried when I cut hair they will get stuck but they look so pretty! Lol x

Latest posts

Back