Nails and a blow torch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glittergirl

Blingin' Brummie Geek
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty new at doing nails so i have lots to learn.

Today in between clients i thought i would pop into a local salon 2 check out the competition anyway while i was in there checking out their retail stuff i noticed a lady having a full set the tech put what looked to me like white paint on the tip and put a blow tourch to it.

I only do basic acrylic overlays.

Can anyone explain?

OMG I have never heard of this - makes MMA look OK! Do you really mean a blow torch as in intense fire? If so, surely she would have been on fire!!!!!!!!!! lol !

was it more like spray painting?

i bet it was air brushing but run off a can of air, looks just like the gas can of a blow torch !

Don't i feel stupid now!

I wasn't sure what it was i didn't want to go over and have a close look
but i'm going back tomorrow and i'm gunna ask her what it was.

I thought it was a uv light at first i have never tried airbrushing but would you put the paint on the nail first i thought you would spray it on.

I definatley saw her put something on the nail i asumed it was paint and then put what i thought was a blow tourch over it or could of it been a uv light?

oh i dunno!

bet i sound like a right idiot it shocked me! thats y i thought i'd ask.

ooh the mystery deepens, thats what ya get for snooping ! :lol: i think you better ask though, coz you have us all curious now ! i'm highly suspicious of your blow torch theory though, but hey new techniques are coming along all the time ! :rolleyes:

As soon as i know you'll know and won't i feel a plonker if it's airbrushing! LOL

sorry to make fun but can't stop laughing, I was on my day 2 today of L&P and I could of done with the blow torch myself as the acrylic must of been 2 foot thick!!!! Spent ages filing till they looked ok. still practising.

Lin

Don't know if this is the right carreer or maybe should take up being a brickie as by the thickness of my acrylic today it would withstand a good earhtquake!!!

Lol, i have been reading this and had to laugh. I rememebr when i first did nails they were so thick you wouldn't of been able to chop them off. we have all been there, so just keep persevering and you will get there. In six monthes you will finally be doing good nails and think you're previous ones were awful.:)

I am glad I'm not a cat as Id be dead right now lol!! I am so curious to know what they were doing, but I guess it must have been airbrushing!!!

Maybe she was painting on a base coat???

we had a lady in the salon she was from london and was in for a re balance with us, she said that they were acrylic but they had the apperance of gel, they took a long time to soak off so i was a bit suspect! she said that they were all asian and that she was on a sort of convayer belt i.e one lady did the prep ( they used a e file on the nail plate ) then another the tip etc but she didi say that they sprayed the acrylic on, We at the salon had no idea what she was on about and as she didn't understand what they had done except that she believed them to be acrylic she couldn't tell use much more. but they sprayed something on them!!!!!!!!!
strange but true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Well went back to the nail salon today and made out that I was a client I asked the lady what she was doing when I went in the other day and she told me that she was putting whitener on the tips and blasting them with a uv light she said the paint was like acrylic and leaves the tips permantley white.

Well the look on my face must of said it all!

She said its like when u use a sunbed and use the products that whiten your teeth she said the lady she had in on that day was in for refills and her nails had began to yellow underneath and the client doesn't like her nails polished and she hadn't had them on for long so she painted this product on and blasted it with uv light and over a period of time it will whiten the tips.

Now I don't know about u guys but after about 4 weeks 5 at the most I advise that clients soak off their extensions and have arcylic overlay or silk wrap as in my experience clients have had good regrowth.

So is the extra work really worth it? The salon charge an extra £5.00 for this treatment when they could paint a French manicure for free!

What do u think?

I still don't get it!

Jodie

glittergirl said:
Hi Guys,

Well went back to the nail salon today and made out that I was a client I asked the lady what she was doing when I went in the other day and she told me that she was putting whitener on the tips and blasting them with a uv light she said the paint was like acrylic and leaves the tips permantley white.

Well the look on my face must of said it all!

She said its like when u use a sunbed and use the products that whiten your teeth she said the lady she had in on that day was in for refills and her nails had began to yellow underneath and the client doesn't like her nails polished and she hadn't had them on for long so she painted this product on and blasted it with uv light and over a period of time it will whiten the tips.

Now I don't know about u guys but after about 4 weeks 5 at the most I advise that clients soak off their extensions and have arcylic overlay or silk wrap as in my experience clients have had good regrowth.

So is the extra work really worth it? The salon charge an extra £5.00 for this treatment when they could paint a French manicure for free!

What do u think?

I still don't get it!

Jodie
Hi Jodie: i dont understand the concept at all either! Having said that, i (and most others!) charge an extra £3 for french so the difference wouldnt be that great anyway! I dont understand why you advise clients to soak off extensions after 4/5 weeks. There is no need to soak off unless there is a problem, surely?

I have always been taught that if clients have good regrowth and don't really need to wear extensions they could have silk wrap or acrylic on their natural nails.

What do u think? should i stop advising this?

I haven't been working long so i tend to stick to what my lecturer has told me as gospel.

Any advice?

Latest posts

Back