nails and children

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gracy

nutty geek
Reaction score
i was wondering what people think is the right age for young ones to have extensions on there nails 14, 16, 18, i was horrified last week :shock: when a very upset mother came into the salon for advice, as her friend put false nails on her 8 year old, she then caught it and ripped the nail completely from the nail bed, it knocked me sick :pale: the child was in agony, we advised she went straight to a+e.
i would have punched :hit: her lights out, if it was my daughter.

I would have need restraining too, I wouldn`t put enhancements on anyone under 16 and if I was in doubt I`d want parental consent. What were they thinking???????

Parental consent is absolutely legally mandatory before doing a service on anyone under the age of 16.

Parental consent is absolutely legally mandatory before doing a service on anyone under the age of 16.

To right there Geeg, we wouldn't wanna be charged with common assault on a minor now .
I don't do Nail Extensions on minors even with parental consent, but I will however, with parental consent do a nice Manicure.

We had this discussion in our shop, the owner said I should,I think she saw Pound signs, as you can imagine, I said I wouldn't. I told the owner in no unmistaken terms, that if she was so keen for a minor to have nail extensions then, hey be my guest you do them. I told her I am a professional and will not compromise my reputation, nor willing to face criminal proccecution, should there be any complaints from the parent or legal guardian.

I asked her if she was willing to put children and thats what they are in a tanning booth and fry her till she is nicely done, just for the sake of a few more pounds in the till??????? She said no of course she wouldn't, so I said there you go, you see my point and the subject was closed. Amen.

Love Ruth xxxxxxxx
P.S. I feel as strongly about this, as I do about MMA lol

:( What was the mother thinking of? My daughter is 12 and she keeps asking me to put nail enhancements on her, I am not happy doing this, she is far to young to give them the loving tender care they deserve. A lot of Salons or people doing nails think of the money first but I think of the clients well being before the cash and as I can see from all your replys you all do too.........good on you all. It is Salons and nail techs like that who give the industry a bad name.

I HATE this idea of giving young girls enhancements!
Last time I brought up this topic I was reminded this was a niche in the market. That turning away custom might not be such a good idea.
The youngest I've had to do (as an employee) is 11 yrs. She came in for a fill & fix (she'd broken a nail helping the teacher carry books, and needed the length take down a bit coz she couldn't write with them!!!!).
I VERY lightly removed the shine, prep'd as normal & carried out her repairs.
The next week she was back in with the nail off again - I know exactly what I'D done wrong - I'd tryed to be too gentle with her nails, tried not to remove too much with my shine removal (I had used the highest grit on a 3way buffer, rather than a 240 file), so the product had not properly adhered. I explained this to her mum, who had not been happy that it'd came off so soon she understood my explanation - especially why she found out the fix was free.
Frankly, if it was my business, I would have said "No" to them going on in the 1st place. I was told the girl "couldn't stop biting her nails", personally I would have recommended regular manicures & polish/nail art to make her proud of her nails, to make her think twice about biting them. that's how I managed to stop biting at the age of 16.
I leave this job on Saturday. I will be renting space in a hair salon closer to home from the following week.
I plan to run it regarding this subject as follows...
No enhancements on under 16's without a parent/guardian.
No enhancements on under 13's (or 1st year at high school) at all.
Mini-Manicures, file, polish and nail art - I am quite happy to do this on little one's as long as mum says its ok (I think it's good not to let them feel left out, and get the interest in there at an early age).

Well, that's my rant over :rolleyes: :D

Fi xxx

feebeast said:
I HATE this idea of giving young girls enhancements!
Last time I brought up this topic I was reminded this was a niche in the market. That turning away custom might not be such a good idea.

Sorry but just needed to clarify - teenagers etc are a niche market but we were talking about fun manicures, nail art and airbrushing NOT enhancements - particularly for kids under 16. Many teks are making a lot of money from doing kiddy manicure / nail art parties - providing you have parental consent, i see no harm in this - i think however that teks need to make it clear that enhancements are OFF the menu!!! :rolleyes: ;)

hi ya...i know what u mean about the nail art, my daughter is 7 and she loves it...she's even got her own play airbrushing kit, with diamontes, stars, glitter etc, im def going to include nail art parties in my menu and mini manicures for the younger ones...but id never put nail enhancements on her...vic

Sorry but just needed to clarify - teenagers etc are a niche market but we were talking about fun manicures, nail art and airbrushing NOT enhancements -

Just to clarify, the last time I brought this subject up, we were not talking about fun manicures & nail art.

My comment was
How do you all feel about doing a set on nails on a schoolgirl - and I'm talking about as young as 13 now !!!

The response was
...but dont forget ..... those teens have more disposable income than their parents sometimes and anyone in business would be short sighted to ignore this segment of the market which is HUGE!

You'll find it in the topic "Let's talk about YOUR attitude!".

Cheers'mi'dears,

Fi ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back