Nails at home with no certificates, any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zojobs0408

Reaction score
I’ve been practicing Acrylic and Gel nails at home for around 6 months and would be interested in providing services to friends and family. I’ve not taken any courses yet as I don’t have the money and I also wouldn’t want to spend another 3 months relearning the same things which I’ve taught myself.
I know courses are important because of health and safety but I’ve taught myself as much as I can and have had qualified friends give me tips on what they’ve learned.
I’d like to take a course but my financial situation doesn’t allow me to. I was wondering if I could have any advice?

Hi you would need to take a course to enable you to get insurance for providing nail treatments to clients.
Colleges offer courses, I’m not sure about the cost but maybe if you can’t afford to pay for it yourself there may be some funding available?
Good luck

If you offer nail services without being fully insured you risk having no support if someone threatens to sue you. Insurance companies have legal teams that deal with this on your behalf if a client complains. Clients who threaten to sue isn’t that uncommon in these litigious times, sadly.

Also, without having proof of qualification, you won’t be able to set up accounts with professional suppliers so you will be paying more for your products.

Borrow some money, do a course and then you can hold your head up high and charge what you’re worth (and of course get insurance)
People in general don’t look well on self taught nail techs (or any other profession really) It’s far better if you can manage it to get quaified, even if it’s just a gel polish course (not extensions) and start from there as there’s a fair market for that

Ask at your local business start-up centre for help and information on grants. They will have the latest information available and help you apply for things like Princes Trust £500 if you're under 25. Or Individual learning account up to £200. These are just some ideas, they could be completely wrong for where you are and thats why its important to ask for the latest up to date information at your local business gateway or similar. Some local colleges near you may offer a NVQ qualification in Artificial Nail Structures. Its also worth asking them what funding is available for your particular situation. Hope this helps.

I’ve been practicing Acrylic and Gel nails at home for around 6 months and would be interested in providing services to friends and family. I’ve not taken any courses yet as I don’t have the money and I also wouldn’t want to spend another 3 months relearning the same things which I’ve taught myself.
I know courses are important because of health and safety but I’ve taught myself as much as I can and have had qualified friends give me tips on what they’ve learned.
I’d like to take a course but my financial situation doesn’t allow me to. I was wondering if I could have any advice?

You won’t be able to work without legit certificates, insurance and understanding of salon hygiene now as clients will expect you to be up to date with everything for their safety.

If you can’t afford it you can’t afford it. Gotta spend money to make money. Plus you will have to invest in PPE and salon hygiene products.

Unless you want to get sued or sick.

Hi zojobs0408

You are only 16, so why not start the right way? Look at college courses and see if you can take a part time course at your local college enabling you to work and build your experience in the best way. There must be funding for someone in your situation, because of your age.
Trust me you won't be relearning what you already know, but you will be adding to your knowledge some valuable "extras" like

Health and safety
Infection control and the all important PPE
Business planning
Advertising media
Anatomy and physiology
Contra-indications

INSURANCE - and why we need it!

It's also good mentally to be learning with other students, it's confidence boosting.

Good luck

You won’t be able to work without legit certificates, insurance and understanding of salon hygiene now as clients will expect you to be up to date with everything for their safety.

If you can’t afford it you can’t afford it. Gotta spend money to make money. Plus you will have to invest in PPE and salon hygiene products.

Unless you want to get sued or sick.
Hi zojobs0408

You are only 16, so why not start the right way? Look at college courses and see if you can take a part time course at your local college enabling you to work and build your experience in the best way. There must be funding for someone in your situation, because of your age.
Trust me you won't be relearning what you already know, but you will be adding to your knowledge some valuable "extras" like

Health and safety
Infection control and the all important PPE
Business planning
Advertising media
Anatomy and physiology
Contra-indications

INSURANCE - and why we need it!

It's also good mentally to be learning with other students, it's confidence boosting.

Good luck
Thank you for the advice, I’ve looked into part time courses with my college but since this virus has shut schools and businesses they’re no longer accepting applications towards the part time nail course I wanted to take.
Funding wasn’t so much of an issue before but since I’ve not been able to work I’ve had to stop saving towards my course in order to afford living costs.
At the moment I’ll just be playing the waiting game and looking for other alternatives since the college course is no longer an option for me.
Thank you for the advice nevertheless X

Thank you for the advice, I’ve looked into part time courses with my college but since this virus has shut schools and businesses they’re no longer accepting applications towards the part time nail course I wanted to take.
Funding wasn’t so much of an issue before but since I’ve not been able to work I’ve had to stop saving towards my course in order to afford living costs.
At the moment I’ll just be playing the waiting game and looking for other alternatives since the college course is no longer an option for me.
Thank you for the advice nevertheless X
If you get yourself on a HND course you will get a student loan for your fees and living costs. You don’t start paying it back until you earn over £21k a year. If you don’t earn that after so many years it gets squashed. If your under 21 all your education from FE colleges is free. You may also be able to apply for grants for living expenses directly from your college and also travel expenses from SLC. if your full time your council tax is also free. There’s loads of help out there, you just need to look. Hope this helps. I’m sure you’ll find what’s right for you and have an exciting career. The best times of my life were at college and university so go enjoy..... xx

If you get yourself on a HND course you will get a student loan for your fees and living costs.

The OP Is 16 and lives in England and so funding and course options are different to Scotland.

OP, you've got plenty of time to find the right course for you but in the meantime, we don’t recommend using acrylics and gels without professional training, mainly because the risks of becoming allergic to the products is known to be much higher amongst untrained diy nail enthusiasts.
Sadly, once you develop an allergy to the common ingredients in nail enhancement products, it’s an allergy for life.
Not only that, but some of the key ingredients are used in medicine so an allergy to them could have additional unforeseen consequences too.

Latest posts

Back