Nails at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do gel nails at home and at the moment i am doing them in my kitchen. My kitchen isnt the biggest and before someone comes i have to move my kitchen table over to make enough room to pull my nail table out. This is far from ideal. I have quite a large wee toilet room down stairs.All that is in it is a toilet and a sink and there is plenty of room in there to fit a nail table comfortably.The problem is I live in a housing association house and would not be allowed to remove the toilet. I was thinking of getting some kind of covering or screen to sort of hide the toilet. Any ideas? Also,the fact that there is a toilet in the room,even though covered,do you think this would put people off thinking its unhygienic,even though the toilet would not be in use?

Hi there

I'm going solely by what it sounds like... I wish you'd uploaded a photo of the room so we can get a better idea but from what you've described I don't like think it sounds very professional as toilets are a funny thing.. I have a feeling if I turned up and had my nails done in a room with a toilet I wouldn't too impressed.

Now it may be completely different from what I'm imagining but I wanted to give you my absolute honest answer.

Maybe upload a photo for good suggestions and a better all round solution?

x

could you tellme how to upload a picture please? I dont have a clue lol

If you're replying on your phone you need to click "open advanced options" while writing a reply and if you're on a computer you need to click reply and click the paper clip x

Hi, I don't think it sounds too professional either. If you can tell it is a bathroom/toilet then I definitely do not think that sounds great. Could you not bring your table and nail station to your living room?

i cant upload it.I keeps saying upload of file failed :(

no room at all in my livingroom :( . Eventually i would like to get my own wee place in town. Maybe rent a room,but for now doing them at home.I have 3 young children and dont want to venture out of the house until they are a bit older.

I think a room with the toilet in would be unprofessional, sorry :/
Maybe you should do mobile until you can organise something better?

I agree, I would never go back to somewhere like that and probably tell all my friends about the toilet in the corner. LOL Sorry, don't mean to sound negative but you want to start as you mean to carry on and building a good reputation is very important. I dont think people would take you seriously. Either keep on as you are, doing them in the kitchen or go mobile. It's not too bad in the kitchen is it? If I had to work from my kitchen I would make sure there is always a fresh pot of filter coffee on the go, maybe fresh flowers, Tasty bowl of fruit on the side etc. make the best of the space you have. WHy not work on your kitchen table and save your nail station for when you have sorted out an alternative work space? Another option is to get a fold up kitchen table which can be put in a different room when you have a client over.

Have you asked if any of your neighbors or friends have a room you could use for nails, I am sure someone will have a bit of space they would happlily rent out to you.

If you go mobile or rent nearby you could work at times when your partner or a friend can babysit for you? I am sure one of your friends would happily babysit for you if you do their nails for them as payment.

Sorry for the long post but I keep thinking of more things as I am typing.

Good luck and let us know what you get sorted

thankyous so much for your replies. I really appreciate your honest opinions. I think i will get a smaller kitchen table as the one i have at the moment is quite large. That would leave more room in my kitchen. Thanks again :)

One thing you have to consider doing nails in your kitchen is the health and safety, remember your using highly flammable solvents and these vapors linger unless you have sufficient ventilation I wouldn't advise it, also all foods should be in cupboards, when your filing the dust will be in the air and will settle on surfaces including food.

If you don't have a separate room that you can use as a home salon I would think about going mobile or renting a table hun.

I am not sure that this is the place for my comment however so many on home salon vs Storefront salon. I have been doing nails as of Sept 2012 I have 20 reg clients. Being at home in a room off my front enterance worked well very clean and comforting welcoming!

I was offered a very nice deal in a local downtown store front Salon in my area actually a few blocks from my home.

I Move in today and let my current clients know and 6/20 have cancelled and said they will be finding new tech. Be it cost or the fact they do not want the salon setting. I am feeling a bit kicked in the gut at the moment. However I am sure that if I continue on my path of postive work that stands on its own (as noobie) the clients will come. I will be right in a front window and they have not had a tech in there for a few years now.

Any advice for this new nail tech on her journey into stardom????

I'd make the best of using the kitchen as the above poster already said. Much better than in the toilet. Nothing nicer than a fresh pot of coffee :)

Slightly off topic but I live in a housing association house and I am not allowed to run a business from there? Yours may be different but I had to go mobile because of this. Just mentioning as I wouldn't want you to get in trouble. Apologies if you have already sorted this out.
Sam
Xx

I am not sure that this is the place for my comment however so many on home salon vs Storefront salon. I have been doing nails as of Sept 2012 I have 20 reg clients. Being at home in a room off my front enterance worked well very clean and comforting welcoming!

I was offered a very nice deal in a local downtown store front Salon in my area actually a few blocks from my home.

I Move in today and let my current clients know and 6/20 have cancelled and said they will be finding new tech. Be it cost or the fact they do not want the salon setting. I am feeling a bit kicked in the gut at the moment. However I am sure that if I continue on my path of postive work that stands on its own (as noobie) the clients will come. I will be right in a front window and they have not had a tech in there for a few years now.

Any advice for this new nail tech on her journey into stardom????

Could you not offer your existing clients a little incentive if they follow you? Like a little promotion for their first visit to the salon.
In regards to getting new clients, talk about your new venture to anyone and everyone who will listen! Lol
There is a business thread already on here with hundreds of tips that will help u out if you do a search.( Can't post a link as I'm on my phone)

Hope that helps
Sam
Xx

get someone to make a box (or cabinet) that fits over the toilet and hides it completely, then no one will ever know.
What's to say there isn't a toilet hidden in any other persons cupboard you see :)

What they don't know won't hurt them .......

I'd make the best of using the kitchen as the above poster already said. Much better than in the toilet. Nothing nicer than a fresh pot of coffee :)

Slightly off topic but I live in a housing association house and I am not allowed to run a business from there? Yours may be different but I had to go mobile because of this. Just mentioning as I wouldn't want you to get in trouble. Apologies if you have already sorted this out.
Sam
Xx

I'm glad someone mentioned this because I'm the same. I've been told I can do one or 2 from my home because they can't prove they aren't just family or friends but if I had a steady stream coming and going then no I can't work from home. Because of this my mum ans stepdad let me use a room at their house which is fab.

I have to agree with the others about the toilet, I'd stick to your kitchen table if working from home but please do check you are allowed or you could end up in big trouble xx

I'm with Carl, build a floor to ceiling cabinet complete with boxes (ikea style) and a fake cupboard door at the bottom ;P
Be sure to drain the water out first lol

It's a shame you can't take it out though, you've got the plumping there for a pedicure throne!
X

Latest posts

Back