nails& beauty treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea

Reaction score
I'm concidering going back to collage as a mature student[nearly 40] to study beauty therapy & wondered how many of you do beauty as well as nails.Are there any ladies out there who also decided to to start learning another career past their 30's? I think the age thing is what is holding me back, I don't have children to concider & already have a lovely studio at home & about to install a whirlpool bath & possibly a steam/shower cabinet which clients will be able to use.What should I do?

andrea said:
I'm concidering going back to collage as a mature student[nearly 40] to study beauty therapy & wondered how many of you do beauty as well as nails.Are there any ladies out there who also decided to to start learning another career past their 30's? I think the age thing is what is holding me back, I don't have children to concider & already have a lovely studio at home & about to install a whirlpool bath & possibly a steam/shower cabinet which clients will be able to use.What should I do?

Go for it :)
I was in my 30s when i qualified, Age is no barrier.
Dont worry i am sure that there will be other students, Who are older.

hiya ,i think you should do it ,i was a hairdresser straight from school and when i was at college there were loads of ladies doing it who were well past 40 and they loved it ,since then i have got bored of hair and did nails last year and have just finished a course in beauty and i think it is fab,so do it you never know till you try,good luck love dee

Hi andrea,

Although i wasnt too old when i started learning nails and beauty (i was 23) my best friend at college, who has learnt the same as me, artificial nails and beauty therapy, is 45. She did feel the age thing quite a lot at first, we were training with 16,17 and 18 year old girls, even i felt old at 23!! But its fine now and we are all good friends.I have two children so the age thing wasnt an issue, it was the children! My youngest was only 6weeks old when i began my training, but it was something i really wanted to do, and as far as i can see it has done no harm to my children, they have a mummy who is now more confident, is a more satisfied human being as i am doing something i enjoy, has lots of new friends and makes money with her new business! I think you should go for it and not worry bout the age issue, and i definately think the more you can offer your clients, the more earning potential you have. So go for it! Always remember that there is someone somewhere who offers more treatments than yourself, you can never have enough training and offer enough treatments to your clients.

Good luck ,

Michelle xx

hey go for it, i wasted 2 years thinking i was too old to start again, when i started college (evenings) i thought i would be the oldest there but some were in there 60`s.

i was the oldest one on my course, i was prepared for that. i think that maturity brings with it determination to make the best of your opportunities and a willingness to give it your best. when you are our age, i think you know that you get back what you put in and you give your best. good luck to you ;)

Hey there,
I am 30 however did my beauty training about 7 years ago, gave it up and then recently got back into it, and have every intention to go on further courses, would like to do indian head massage as an extra also, however Nails is my thing love them just love them.

Age is no barrier, just go for it, if you like it enjoy it and fancy giving it ago, then do so, go girl I say.

Good luck
Grace x

hi andrea - go to college athou ive been doing nails over a year, i decided to go to college last september to do beauty therapy and to be honest everyone is 25 plus. When the course started there was 43 of us and alot of 16 year olds fresh from school but now there are only 15 and its all the mature students cos we are serious about the course and as it can be tough (but fun) the teens could not hack it and there are only 2 of them left ... Do it- it is never too late to learn and you will find alot of clients prefer a beauty treatment from someone with more life experience!!!!

andrea said:
Hi Andrea

I know how you feel about the age thing holding you back ..... I felt the same way. The first day of my VTCT college course I felt sick I was soooooooo nervous but to my surprise there were a few others on my course who were about my age. I'm now of the opinion that if as say life begins at 40 then sounds the absolute right time to launch a new career & its the 40th birthday present I'm giving to myself this year :lol:

My only regret is the years I spent in jobs that just gave me stress & an ulcer ........ I wish I'd gone into nails sooner if only to save myself the madness of officework, but thats all behind me now & the future is bright, the future is nails :lol:

Karen

Hi Andrea
I started on this route last year Feb 2003 with Liza Smith of this site etc. I will be 40 next year. I am still cherry-picking my training and have just done waxing nvq. I also did nvq19 nails last year too. It is never too late to learn - Go for it - it will be the best thing you do. if you are already thinking about it you are virtually there.

All the best

Hi Andrea

Never see age as a barrier - us more mature ladies can still learn!! I was 40 last year and after 15 years of being "at home" looking after kids I decided to re-train. Did a nails course in Feb 2003 and a beauty training course last month. Have just booked my Creative conversion course and sooo looking forward to it. Yes I was the oldest student on the beauty course but with only 4 of us in the class (Dee who has also posted a reply here was one of them!) it was great. I have developed an addiction for training and following Olympia yesterday have managed to book myself on 3 more courses.

Go for it - nothing ventured, nothing gained. And you might just enjoy it.

Shaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back