Nails breaking under 'Shellac'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley-r

Reaction score
Hi I went to a salon for 'Shellac' when I got there it wasn't actual CND Shellac, a different make. I wasn't too bothered though because it was only £13 and I thought I would see how it was. I've had it on a week today, and it's been chipping/peeling since about Wednesday. It seems to be bubbling up at the tips and the layers aren't sticking together and a few of my nails are even breaking under it. I facebook messaged the salon to say it was chipping/peeling and I've had no reply!

Quite disappointed to be honest especially as they were advertising it as Shellac and now aren't replying to me to sort it out :(

I will definitely be using CND products when I qualify, wouldn't want my potential clients to feel the way I do. I can't even afford to get it re-done/soaked off yet so will have to wait until next week until I can do anything about it.

If I'd of seen it wasn't the real deal when I got there I would of ran a mile! At least you know where not to go for your shellac appointments in future hun x

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I had the same kind of situation today, Although Im a fully qualified nail tech and usually do my own nails, I had some time to kill so popped into a local nail bar for my shellac to be removed and re-applied.

She wrapped my toes, but explained for the fingers they soak them in acetone (WHAAAAATTT) and then proceeded to scrape the shellac off with a metal cuticle pusher - if this was being done to my fingers I would have waked away, luckily my toe nails are durable!! She showed me the colours, I picked a colour knowing full well it wanst a Shellac one (I asked for Shellac) and she didnt mention it was a different make.

I paid £25 for this! it is places like this who give Shellac a bad name.... unfortunately there doesnt seem to be anything that can be done to stop people using the name Shellac.

Not sure about the point of this thread, if you knew it wasn't Shellac you can't really complain after?

You cannot really moan about unscrupulous businesses when you sit there and still continue to get your nails done using fake shellac and having your nails done in the wrong way when you know they are doing it all wrong.

Don't stay at these places, find a reputable salon and get them done properly. If someone tried to offer me a different service than what I should of been given I wouldn't sit there, get my nails done, pay for the pleasure of getting a rubbish service and then whine about it.

Don't go to these places and they won't be around to offer fake services.

£13...... Really?

You get what you pay for after all, and you knew it wasn't the real deal, lesson learnt I think :wink2:

Hmm if they lie about this what else do they lie about eh.

No training, no insurance no tax. some of the things and I know that no one is putting some fake **** on my hands. You dont know what is in those bottles.

Honestly places like that make my blood boil, but on the upside they give me loads of business :D cos what I advertise I give and nothing less.

I'd spoken to the salon through facebook, that's how they advertise etc and asked if they did Shellac nails to which she replied yes so I had no reason to think it wasn't real Shellac until I got there. Would have felt slightly awkward just walking straight out :(

I'd spoken to the salon through facebook, that's how they advertise etc and asked if they did Shellac nails to which she replied yes so I had no reason to think it wasn't real Shellac until I got there. Would have felt slightly awkward just walking straight out :(

did the price not set alarm bells ringing in your head??

At that point you had a choice. Paying 13£ knowing a cheap product would be used on your nails. Be real, for 13£, what do you think you can get?

Or you could have said "I'm sorry, i was under the impression you worked with CND Shellac, and that is what i would like to try, not this brand"

Well you get what you pay for really wanna pay cheap will get a cheap service.

We all seem to be repeating ourselves here, so I think you get the message Kimberley-r :wink2: the good thing is you seem to have taken a positive from this in that you will now go on to do proper training yourself and never dupe your clients.

No offense but yes, you do just walk out and I think it's spooky that this thread has been posted up because I have just purposely put myself in your exact shoes just 1 hour ago.

I have had a lady open up locally who is advertising "Shellac nails".
I decided to check out the competition cause I had a feeling she was not going to be legit....why? cause in my area, a qualified CND tech advertises correctly and uses "CND Shellac".
I booked in, I asked her on the phone if she offers a full Shellac service and she said yes.
So I removed my NSI Polish Pro early this morning before starting my day of my own clients and after work, off I went to get my own nails Shellaced.
I'm happy to report I am home and my nails are bare of product:)
She sat me down, did no client consult and then pulled over a nasty looking rack of..........Bluesky Shellac and asked me to pick a color.
I straight away told her that this is not CND Shellac and I was booked in for a Shellac service, not some cheap chinese knock brand service and I would not be getting my nails done with this product, thanks.
She of course gave me the usual rot of how they are all the same etc etc and I couldn't hold back anymore and I told her I was a fully trained nail tech myself and although I don't use CND Shellac, I know enough about it and CND that she could talk till she was blue in the face but she would not convince me this product is the same.
She got upset of course and tried everything in the book to convince me I was wrong and I just politely told her that she was false advertising, giving our wonderful industry a bad name and that she should take a good look at herself and what she is doing and I said thanks anyway and left.

I am a tough cookie, I've had to be for a long time now, so I don't have any issues with sticking up for myself and our industry like this and that's what I did.
The more people who go to these places or use techs like this, the worse this problem will become, there is no way I am giving my hard earned dollar to a dodgy tech under any circumstance.

If you know that you have a much less inferior product on your nail, then at the end of the day, is all you can expect is inferior wear, huge lesson learned sadly.

I think the crucial difference between a salon that uses genuine shellac and quality gel polishes is that if you experience a problem or breakdown in service you will be helped and respected not ignored. I'm sure you didn't get after care advice as bs isn't manufactured to industry standards so they wouldn't know what is needed. I'm sure they expect it to last a week so that's why they charge £13 if it lasted 2+ like shellac they would charge more.
I can never understand how any shop can afford to pay rent, business rates, tax and buy products charging £13 a client. Just bad business all round. Good thing is now you know what not to do when you qualify 😎

No offense but yes, you do just walk out and I think it's spooky that this thread has been posted up because I have just purposely put myself in your exact shoes just 1 hour ago.

I have had a lady open up locally who is advertising "Shellac nails".
I decided to check out the competition cause I had a feeling she was not going to be legit....why? cause in my area, a qualified CND tech advertises correctly and uses "CND Shellac".
I booked in, I asked her on the phone if she offers a full Shellac service and she said yes.
So I removed my NSI Polish Pro early this morning before starting my day of my own clients and after work, off I went to get my own nails Shellaced.
I'm happy to report I am home and my nails are bare of product:)
She sat me down, did no client consult and then pulled over a nasty looking rack of..........Bluesky Shellac and asked me to pick a color.
I straight away told her that this is not CND Shellac and I was booked in for a Shellac service, not some cheap chinese knock brand service and I would not be getting my nails done with this product, thanks.
She of course gave me the usual rot of how they are all the same etc etc and I couldn't hold back anymore and I told her I was a fully trained nail tech myself and although I don't use CND Shellac, I know enough about it and CND that she could talk till she was blue in the face but she would not convince me this product is the same.
She got upset of course and tried everything in the book to convince me I was wrong and I just politely told her that she was false advertising, giving our wonderful industry a bad name and that she should take a good look at herself and what she is doing and I said thanks anyway and left.

I am a tough cookie, I've had to be for a long time now, so I don't have any issues with sticking up for myself and our industry like this and that's what I did.
The more people who go to these places or use techs like this, the worse this problem will become, there is no way I am giving my hard earned dollar to a dodgy tech under any circumstance.

If you know that you have a much less inferior product on your nail, then at the end of the day, is all you can expect is inferior wear, huge lesson learned sadly.

Just out of interest really what was she planning to charge for the knock off Shellac? A price that sounded to good to be true or was this lady actually trying to charge the going rate for a CND Shellac treatment in your area?

I'm just wondering if the knock-off brand users are normally easily spotted by their prices?

Just out of interest really what was she planning to charge for the knock off Shellac? A price that sounded to good to be true or was this lady actually trying to charge the going rate for a CND Shellac treatment in your area?

I'm just wondering if the knock-off brand users are normally easily spotted by their prices?

Yes they are, the price was 13£ only :irked:

She was about on par with her price for my area, not overly cheap but not expensive either, it wasn't the price that set off alarm bells it was the advertising. I just know that anybody in my area anyway, who uses CND Shellac is proud to advertise it as exactly that and uses CND marketing material provided by CND, this enables the clients to know that they are getting the real deal before they even sit down.
So when I saw a computer typed up sign just with the word Shellac on it, my gut instantly knew something was wrong and I wanted to see for myself as she has opened up in my local area.
I use Polish Pro and I use all official NSI marketing material, that's what this material is for, not computer generated A4 signs on a window.

Latest posts

Back