Nails breaking with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Hello lovely geeks.
I'm just getting the hang of Shellac, thanks very much to Geeg and her excellent tutorial, and although it's not chipping now I've had a nail break after two days after application. I now have a jagged edge. Anyway my question is, is it normal for nails to break with Shellac? My nails are pretty rubbish really, have been my whole life, weak, bendy, thin and peely and are alway breaking but I thought Shellac acted like a bubble wrap for nails? Or is their a limit as to how bendy and breakable a nail can be and the effectiveness of Shellac? Another note, I had to buff down the peely free edges of my nails prior to application which made my nails thinner. Are these kind of nails not suitable for Shellac? In this situation with a client would I have to bring them back and re do the nail? Or just file down the jagged edge? But then I'm thinking the edge would be left without a sealed edge? I tried searching for the answer but I couldn't find it! Thanks very much for any help you can give me! 

Shellac is a Power Polish and not an enhancement product.

While shellac is strong, it may not be strong enough for your thin nails and you may be best suited to an enhancement product like Brisa gel or Liquid and Powder.

You will find if your nails peel, then the Shellac may peel, it's not the product, it's your nails.

In saying that, my nails are very thin and bendy and I've been using Shellac for over a year now and I can't believe how much they have improved... seriously they look amazing and I'm so proud of them.

I am using Solar oil every day twice a day and no longer have peeling nails... when I wrap off my Shellac, my nails look so healthy and not a sign of peeling, which thrills me each time.

If you really want to use Shellac, just make sure to keep your nails short and if you really HAVE to buff your nails prior to application, use a 1200 grit and make sure to use plenty of solar oil to replenish any lost moisture while you are wearing Shellac.

I agree with the other reply. Shellac will add some strength but if a client comes to me with weak, peeling, bendy nails I recommend a course of natural nail strengthening first as they will assume the product is at fault when it is actually their nails. Best advise an alternative, that's our job to be the expert.

If the client is desperate for Shellac, say for an event, I use a coat of Brisa gel to give some strength then Shellac. This just adds the needed strength for the problems you mention not to occur.

Shellac is my best and most popular treatment and the clients that use solar oil regularly have no problems at all. Home care is essential at all times (very passionate about that!)

All the best

Absolutely brilliant advice, thankyou so much. Even though I had a feeling it was my flimsy nails that were the problem I was having doubts about my application, despite expert tutorial, and the product which was really upsetting as I've invested loads of money and time in the product. I think my nails have peeled in the past which I mistook for Shellac chipping. I have solar oil so I might remove the Shellac, cut my feeble nails short and keep applying it. How I envy these girls with perfect strong nails! Maybe one day with the help of Solar Oil and nail strengthener I will be one of them! 

Absolutely brilliant advice, thankyou so much. Even though I had a feeling it was my flimsy nails that were the problem I was having doubts about my application, despite expert tutorial, and the product which was really upsetting as I've invested loads of money and time in the product. I think my nails have peeled in the past which I mistook for Shellac chipping. I have solar oil so I might remove the Shellac, cut my feeble nails short and keep applying it. How I envy these girls with perfect strong nails! Maybe one day with the help of Solar Oil and nail strengthener I will be one of them! 

I thought I was a no hoper too and have worn enhancements for over 8 years because I HAD to, but wearing Shellac has actually improved my natural nails (never thought that was possible :))

Why not wear Shellac on your toes... you'll see how long it lasts and that it's not the application or the product that's the problem, it will last and last as your toe nails don't get the same amount of abuse that your fingernails do.

I would keep up with the Solar oil and apply maybe 4 times a day as your nails sound like they are very dry... then give Shellac another go when the peeling is gone. :)

Latest posts

Back