nails burning Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boopgrrl

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I just recently had acrylic nails put on, and decided that I no longer wanted to up keep them. A friend suggested that instead of paying a professional to take them off, I could just soak them in acetone, then peel them right off. I went out and bought 100% acetone, a 6 in 1 nail file/buffer, and a clear coat of polish. Well, after soaking my nails in acetone for about 30 seconds, the fake ones came off easily. I then filed, buffed and shaped my real nails. Heres the problem. After I put the clear coat on, my nails started burning! I mean really burning! My entire finger tips and behind my nails were on fire. It is killing me writing this, but it's late, and I dont know where else to turn.. I'm just wondering if the clear coat went through my real naila because they were already filed down before I went and did it again. Someone please help. I don't know what to do....:cry:

Hi
Was your girlfriend that advised you to do this a Nail Technician?. Its better to have them romoved professionally and finish it off with a manicure so situations like this dont arise. You may have had them in the acetone too long and you are getting a burning sensation. I know it can be drying on the skin.
Go into your nail tech maybe to have a look at them tommorrow.

did you wash your hands after you soaked them in the acetone?

you reallllly need to call your nail tech.

Sounds like you may have some broken skin around the cuticle?, you have filed through/thinned your natural nail? my advise would be to remove all product from your nails and wash them throughly and see your nail tech asap xxxxxxx

after soaking my nails in acetone for about 30 seconds, the fake ones came off easily...:cry:
seconds or minutes, if it was seconds, may have prised them off too soon, along with a layer of nail, making then sensitive to just about anything but a good lashing of cuticle oil

Hello Everyone! I just recently had acrylic nails put on, and decided that I no longer wanted to up keep them. A friend suggested that instead of paying a professional to take them off, I could just soak them in acetone, then peel them right off. I went out and bought 100% acetone, a 6 in 1 nail file/buffer, and a clear coat of polish. Well, after soaking my nails in acetone for about 30 seconds, the fake ones came off easily. I then filed, buffed and shaped my real nails. Heres the problem. After I put the clear coat on, my nails started burning! I mean really burning! My entire finger tips and behind my nails were on fire. It is killing me writing this, but it's late, and I dont know where else to turn.. I'm just wondering if the clear coat went through my real naila because they were already filed down before I went and did it again. Someone please help. I don't know what to do....:cry:
I 've never known acrylic to be easily removed after 30seconds of soaking. What kind of acetone did you use? How much did you file your nails?

It deffo sounds like you have either filed on the nail plate and thinned it or pulled the nails off and taken a few layers of nail plate with them! Use oil 3-4 times a day, keep them short, and i would be inclinded to have an overlay on if you can tolerate, to give some form of protection.

I know I am only saying what the other replies state, but it sounds to me as though you have buffed and filed straight through the acrylic into your own nail plate - you will be able to see this as your nails will have red sore patches on them where the nail is the thinest and will also be throbbing in places - it happened to a friend of mine - she didnt have the patience to soak them off properly and picked and snapped the acrylic off - bad move - they were that sensitive she had to have another set of acrylic's on until her nails grew out and became strong enough

clare

it sounds to me as though you have buffed and filed straight through the acrylic into your own nail plate - you will be able to see this as your nails will have red sore patches on them where the nail is the thinest and will also be throbbing in places

this is definatly my problem. The throbbing has gone away, but when i touch the red spots on my nails, its very tender. Should I just get an overlay? or just hope for the best and wait for my nails to grow. They are so thin now, Im scared that i will snag one on something and tear the nail.. and that hurts..

thank you to everyone who helped! I am extremely grateful! The internet is a wonderful place..:)

Hi there - if you do have red patches on your nail plate and the nails are wafer thin then really you need to just let the nails grow out until they are back to their usual thickness - I wouldn't recommend putting another nail enhancement on just yet as your own nails wont be strong enough and they could do even more damage - next time make sure you go to your technician to have them soaked off cos I know how painful it can be if you done do it properly!!!

Clare

this is definatly my problem. The throbbing has gone away, but when i touch the red spots on my nails, its very tender. Should I just get an overlay? or just hope for the best and wait for my nails to grow. They are so thin now, Im scared that i will snag one on something and tear the nail.. and that hurts..

thank you to everyone who helped! I am extremely grateful! The internet is a wonderful place..:)
It is possible to have an overlay to protect them. Just make sure you go to a reputable tech who won't do any further damage. I wouldn't go for any extra length though.

Latest posts

Back