Nails gone yellow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hiya!

I did a set of NSI acrylic on myself last week. I used the Attitude base coat and clear top coat over the top from Star.

I have never had problems before and especially love NSI acrylic (Simplicite range).
I went away for the weekend and suppose I was in the sun for a bit and went in the sea once. Anyway, my nails went yellow. I thought it might have been the varnish on top so I buffed it and the still seems to be patches of yellow in the acrylic. I thought new products weren't as sensitive to the sun or didn't yellow. I just find it weird as they looked lovely until the weekend and has never happened to me before.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sam XX

Yep.

Excessive UV exposure. :cool:

Ok thank you!
I knew that could happen but it didn't really click that I could have done that! (doh).. Oh well - guess It's my fault then.

Thank you for your advice.
What happens to people that are in the sun a lot and live in hot places? Is it best to avoid enhancements?

Sam X

No. Just use a product that does not yellow with UV exposure!! :cool:

There are also some top coats that protect products from UV, but I prefer to use products that just don't yellow rather than take yet another step that is unnessary.

Yellowing can also be caused by brush contaminiation ... but this is usually seen immediately not a few days later.

I agree with Geeg - using products that don't yellow is, of course, the best way forward.

However, on the top coat front, I quite regularly french polish my toes and have been using Orly's Sunscreen for Nails over the top for a fair old while now and it's fab :D

HTHs

G. xx

I didn't know that these products were prone to yellowing. If I had, I wouldn't have bought them!

oh well. Thank you for all your great advice.

Sam X

SammiG said:
I didn't know that these products were prone to yellowing. If I had, I wouldn't have bought them!

Sam X
I have to say that the monomer i use actually says on the back amongst the description that the enhanced colour stabilisers ensure no yellowing. I guess its another thing that you need to look out for that we've learned along the way.

Buffed some more and the yellow came off so it looks like it was the topcoat that did it?
Thank you for all the great advice!

SammiG said:

Sam X

SammiG i've got a UV top coat brand new as bought by mistake do you want it at cost?

Latest posts

Back