Nails icons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Mansfield

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to know who you consider to be a true icon in the nail industry - whether UK based or elsewhere. If there is someone you truly admire, who you consider to have done a lot for our industry, please tell me who and why.

Kelly
Ed
Nails mag (UK)

Kelly Mansfield said:
Hi guys,

I'd like to know who you consider to be a true icon in the nail industry - whether UK based or elsewhere. If there is someone you truly admire, who you consider to have done a lot for our industry, please tell me who and why.

Kelly
Ed
Nails mag (UK)

Well the industry figure i look up to, As to be Gigi Rouse. She built up Designer Nails here in the uk, Even though she as now took a more backseat,
She is always there to offer help and advice to new or old techs. Gigi writes articles for Magazines to help others to understand different aspects of the nail industry. She truly is a remarkable lady and one that i greatly admire.

lesley1965 said:
Well the industry figure i look up to, As to be Gigi Rouse. She built up Designer Nails here in the uk, Even though she as now took a more backseat,
She is always there to offer help and advice to new or old techs. Gigi writes articles for Magazines to help others to understand different aspects of the nail industry. She truly is a remarkable lady and one that i greatly admire.

I agree with Lesley, i wasn't too sure when i first came on the site, as to be honest it does at first seem as if Creative are the only way to go, but after really reading on the posts you soon see it's mostly Creative heads that actually BOTHER to give advice to other techs and it soon became clear this lady KNOWS what she's talking about and will give you the answers straight whether you like it or not :lol: And i really appreciate that sort of thing.

BIG UP GIGI!!!

NB: WOULD BE REALLY GREAT IF A REP FROM EACH COMPANY POSTED AND GAVE ADVICE ON THIS SITE.

Mr. A. Buckley does it for me.

and of course a friend and our very own JackieMc

lindag said:
Mr. A. Buckley does it for me.

and of course a friend and our very own JackieMc

Can you tell me why though? I'm looking to do an article in the mag on the industry's favourite icons, so I really need some detailed reasons. What do you love about them? How have they inspired you?

It depends on the tack of the article - we will all have our favs who do nails and teach nails - but I think one person above all has made the nail industry what it is today and that has to be Doug Schoon - I wonder how many nail techs out there who care about our profession do not have his book and refer to it often.

naturalnails said:
It depends on the tack of the article - we will all have our favs who do nails and teach nails - but I think one person above all has made the nail industry what it is today and that has to be Doug Schoon - I wonder how many nail techs out there who care about our profession do not have his book and refer to it often.

How did I know he'd be your icon! ;) :)

Kellie,

Mr & Mrs Geek for the reasons I gave in the News post I updated today:

" the fact that Mr & Mrs Geek are willing to put their time/knowledge/money into setting up and running this site and that so many creative trained techs are willing to share their time and knowledge to helping others says to me that this is the type of company I want to invest my money in.....These people obviously do care about the whole industry and not just 'helping their own'.

Gigi Rouse for the same reason. These people are happy to impart their knowledge because they care about the industry, not just about making a name for themselves.

Also Melle Stripp who I met on Tuesday. She was great, answered all the questions I threw at her. I emailed her with a ton more questions on Wednesday which she replied to straight away. Again, someone who is happy to help others learn and be the best. Melle was really approachable, easy going and the airbrushing she did on my nails was fab too!

I'm sure there are loads more but I haven't met them or had any dealing yet so won't make any judgements!

B

Have to agree with all of the above.

Also Jacqui Jefford. Without her, i would not be where i am today. She opened my eyes to NVQ's and has held my hand all the way. I will be forever grateful.

Kelly Mansfield said:
Hi guys,

Kelly
Ed
Nails mag (UK)
Icons and not the ones on my Desctop lol.
Gigi Rouse, Samantha Sweet Samuel Sweet ,Liza Smith ,Antony Buckley, Doug Schoon and all the CND Ambassador.............

Gigi Rouse
Now there is a Industry Icon
A fab Lady with a huge personality and a huge love for people that shows so much, that when you meet her you just can't help but love her.....
She is tough, she is fair, she is fun.......she is Gigi Rouse!!!

She tells it how it is, she never fails to amaze me with her vast store of knowledge, She is my top icon in our industry...
She has enhanced our industry with her perception, her knowledge, her humour and her kindness...........
She is a person I truely admire and look up to!!!!

Samantha Sweet
A person that you just can't help but like, when you first meet her, she is just like her Mum ,Gigi !!!!
Straight talking, determind, nothing is too much trouble for her, if it need doing she does it, if it needs shaking she shakes it and if it needs sorting she sorts it!!!! She is a do'er, not a watcher!!!!............ Her sense of humour and her PR skills are next to none...........She has all the qualities that make her a top PR and a top person..... Diplomacy and a love for what she does, that shines like a beacon......
When you see her in Nail Talk mode she simply glows....

Samuel Sweet
Top Education Icon in my books!!!!
His seminars are fun, educational, his educating skills are fantastic, he has a unique learning approach...It's Facts mixed with Fun....... Take one of his seminars and you will never look back...........He makes you just want to be the best there is.....He pushes you, without you knowing that you are being pushed, he just makes you want to do things you didn't think you could achieve......The education standard at Desinger Nails is high and he personaly makes sure that any Ambassador is just that, an Ambassador for Creative!!!!!
The best Educating Title you can aspire to!!!!

His hard work on the geek stite help Technicians all around the globe and provide a valuable network for Technicians new and old, just trained, in training or seasoned.............

Liza Smith CND Ambassador
I have first hand expirience in her training class.....She has a very professional approach, great love for teaching, and her work is fantastic......
Without her push I would have never even considered Compiting at Excel 2003 nor Manchester 2003 and placing in the top 5......or even winning this year at Olympia, 1st place with Fibreglass!!!!!!
Her enthusiasm is catching and inspiring...........And her loves for her Profession is second to none!!!!

Antony Buckley EZFlow
Well he his unassuming, never seeks the lime light........
A true Icon in the Nail Industry
His nail art is awsome, his personality is fantastic, his nail art skills are just to die for.......He never tires of giving personal advice, always has time for everybody.....He has a wicked sense of style, an eye for detail, knows hwat he is talking about and has jsut that extra little bit of personality that makes him such a joy to be around.........

CND Ambassadors
Edcuation Icons every single one of them.
These are the people that go and make any new Tech a competent, safe and educated Technician........... They all sing from the same hymn sheet and give it all when it comes to education.......
They know whats what and teach with a passion!!!!!!!!!
They are all to be admired and respected!!!!!

Doug Schoon
His ability to turn big words into language that all can understand.
His books are invaluable , so is his work in our industry...
He keeps the nail industry moving........and so keeps us moving!!!!!
A kick buttcheek Chemist with a fab personality.........

These are the poeple that are my Icons in our Industry,
They are all people that I admire and hold in the higest regard!!!!!
They all make me proud to be in this profession and make me want to be the best Technician I could possibly be !!!!!

Debbie Doerrlamm-She has paved the way for techs to network on the net, and has opened up so many doors for those that choose to step up to the challenge of taking their career in hand. She is so "real" and her unlimited devotion to the industry as well as her patience with continuing to put countless hours into maintaining and moderating her site is inspirational in itself. Debbie was the first person who made me feel that it could be really cool to be a nail tech and a computer nerd!

Doug Schoon-He continues to set the bar higher for the industry and I think for himself as he always manages to improve upon what appears to be genious. His book is written so that even the newest tech can make sense of it and his speaking ability is a privilage to behold. When you talk to him one on one he makes you feel as though you can absorb more knowlege than you ever thought possible. I feel that Doug has made a huge contribution to the industry with his endless intelligence and devotion.

Melle Stripp All Things Nails,
why? because she has bought nail art on so much. She has the patience of a saint, always has time to give advice, has an open mind to everything and never ceases to amaze me with her beautiful and imaginative designs.
I wonder how many of us at some time or another have asked her advice or tried to copy her work in some way :biggrin:

I,m going for Ketan Patel great teacher :) i did my conversion course with Ketan in 2000 and he made learning lots of fun!!
I learned more in a day than i did in all the months i went to college to do my vtct.
I have had a long break from nails due to back problems , i have just got going again all thanks to this site and reading all the posts from Ruth (nailsinlondon)
she has really inspired me.
I enjoyed doing fabric much more than l&p and Ruth has inspired me to continue doing what i do best!!
Ruth your posts are great keep up the good work!!
So i will get to the point! Ketan and Ruth you are my icons:biggrin:

Its got to be Gigi Rouse.....wow what a lady very talented to match a huge personality.....kind and always there willing to give advice and help, she has put in so much to the nail world and still continues to do so I have so much respect for her and also she makes me feel part of the family.

Also Antony Buckley he inspires me no end and makes me want to strive to do better, he has no end to talent fab humour and is always willing to give advice when I think EzFlow I think Antony.

And not forgetting Ruth Fordham, well I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today without Ruths input...........I am hoping we are looking at a future educator as she has so much to give to the nail world the patience of a saint so much knowledge I have great respect for Ruth as so many people have. Just watch this space I am betting on Ruth will be a big name in years to come.

Well thats my bit

Dawnie xx

For me it has to be

Gigi Rouse A true lady polite, understanding, always there to help but one thing i do love about her is she always makes time for you i have rang her before and she was ready to go out but still made the time for me and my questions, her reply to me once was 'oh i just love to talk nails' she helped me out with my competition training and was as thrilled as me with my results.

Samuel Sweet One kick ass educator his comittment to nails is second to none as i said in a previous post there is only one Superstar and this is him

Samantha Sweet PR no one does it better than this lady nothing is too much for her she has helped me in so many ways and has on one special occasion for me nearly had me in tears with her thoughtfulness

Antony Buckley Winner of Winners and so he should be he not only does nails i only dream of doing but he wants to help so much to make you a better tech. He also helped me with my comp training nothing was to much for him think EZ Flow think antony buckley oh and he is a little devil too lol

Ruth Fordham No words are enough push me oh yes she did, shout at me oh no she didn't, she even dodged the files when i threw them and said 'i'm going for a cuppa will be back when you have chilled out and ready to try again ' if it wasn't for her i would never had competed i wasn't good enough her reply was 'i know you are and i will be with you all the way' she spent tireless time going over my pics coming up at weekends training me and dawnie i thank her for giving me the confidence to do it

Jane Cook CND Ambassador If it wasn't for jane i would not be doing nails i was ready to give up she turned my life around she not only showed me the creative way she made me believe i could do it she is a very special person for me who i owe alot of thanks to

My icon defenitly is Ruth/Nailsinlondon1. Why? Look at her nails and you know why. She's the best. *hugs* She also is a person who's always willing to help and to answer my questions even when I'm getting on her nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back