Nails in 20 Minutes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I have noticed over the last couple of years there are nail salons opening up all over the place, most of whom are run by Asian men and women. I believe they can apply a set of acrylic nails in 20 minutes?????????? How on earth is this achieved? I know they use drills but even so, 20 minutes? :)

I used to go to a NSS close to my old job, and my guy did it in 25.

He drilled away my cuticles, then applied tips, then applied product on all 10 nails, then drilled it down, put oil on my cuticles and had me wash my hands, and then put colour on.

Aside from the poor hygiene practices and possible MMA, he always did a damn good job.

They don't waste any time. No greeting, consultation, cuticle remover, buffing, etc. Just drill glue apply drill polish.

You can compete with NSS on speed by using PopIts !

You can stand head and shoulders above them on hygeine,prep,product and after care,don't sweat it hun ! x

Last edited by a moderator:
PopIts can definitely help you compete with these guys if you have clients who really want Speed. And you won't need drills and as Becki says, your normal hygiene and nice conversation can be included!!

I reckon I could do a set in 25 minutes if I did what these guys do .. well-less white tip, one bead of one colour, quick finish with the drill ... but the difference is that I do not wish to work in that manner. Do you?

If I have a client who wants a 25 minute full set .. she gets PopIts and the result is gorgeous. It's a no brainer really.

I know Trang Ngyen (hope I spelled the name correct) can do it, and is it Joseph Pham I have seen on a u-tube link too, doing pink and whites in no time.

I think you need a lot of experience to do this and I'm not sure I wanna do it every day, but I would love to be able do do Quality nails within an hour, that's my goal. I know I can eventually I just use to much product still, I just do a little to much filing still and hate when I have to:lol:

But lots of nailtechs from Russia, Asien etc. is very speedy, and they take the job very seriously so they aim for speed (and quality, not talking NSS here), I have taken a few classes with some and I am amazed at how serious they are.

PopIts can definitely help you compete with these guys if you have clients who really want Speed. And you won't need drills and as Becki says, your normal hygiene and nice conversation can be included!!

I reckon I could do a set in 25 minutes if I did what these guys do .. well-less white tip, one bead of one colour, quick finish with the drill ... but the difference is that I do not wish to work in that manner. Do you?

If I have a client who wants a 25 minute full set .. she gets PopIts and the result is gorgeous. It's a no brainer really.

I have looked at those popits and was thinking of getting some. Do I need to do a training course to learn how to apply them? I have been doing nails for a few years and it still takes me an hour and fifteen minutes be it acrylic, gel or fibre glass. I would like to be able apply a set much quicker for those clients that are in a hurry without compromising on quality. Thanx for you reply:)

Last edited by a moderator:
No you dont have to do any training to use them and I find Young Nails speed set powders cut the time down even more as you dont have to hold the Popit down for as long and there aren't any air bubbles. There's a tutorial on here and lots on youtube. hth x

No you dont have to do any training to use them and I find Young Nails speed set powders cut the time down even more as you dont have to hold the Popit down for as long and there aren't any air bubbles. There's a tutorial on here and lots on youtube. hth x

I use CND and get no bubbles AND I don't have to hold the PopIt for more than 10 seconds per. If you want to use a faster setting liquid with CND you can use Moxie but there is no need ... 25 minutes is fast enough for a full set right?

How does one drill away cuticles? One would think on really overgrown cuticles it would be faster this way. As on those overgrown ones after trimming and trimming and trimming (!) the nails need a light buffing around the edge to remove any miniscule bits still clinging to the nails before applying product to have it look its best. Sheila.

How does one drill away cuticles? One would think on really overgrown cuticles it would be faster this way. As on those overgrown ones after trimming and trimming and trimming (!) the nails need a light buffing around the edge to remove any miniscule bits still clinging to the nails before applying product to have it look its best. Sheila.

It's the trimming and trimming that thickens the eponychium in the first place. Regular use of Solar oil softens and shrinks the eponychium nice and tight to the nail where it should be.

As for cuticle .. it can be safely and simply removed with Cuticle Away and a metal implement without thinning or abrading the natural nail with any kind of file. However this Q has nothing to do with PopIts and is hijacking the thread .. perhaps a new thread would have been better?

I use CND and get no bubbles AND I don't have to hold the PopIt for more than 10 seconds per. If you want to use a faster setting liquid with CND you can use Moxie but there is no need ... 25 minutes is fast enough for a full set right?
25 minutes would be a shock to me as mine take me 40 minutes. I'm not sure I could do them in 25 even if I stopped talking:lol:

Yes 25 mins is reslly fast. I use CND retention +, so I will use when I do the poppits. Thanks for your help and advce. :)

Poppits are great i use them with cnd retention+ and have never had any bubbles also great if you want to do a set on yourself as your other hand is easier to do :) x

I will most definately be ordering popits now, for those clients who are short on time. :)

So how do you word popit as a treatmet on your pricelist? And is there any geek out there offering just popit nail extension if so do you just charge the same as you would with tips? Thanks

You know, I don't understand why anyone would want their nails done in 25 minutes. Do you look for a hairdresser on the basis that she/he is the fastest or the cheapest??

My clients come to me because they have a relaxing pampering time. I talk to them, I know them - the names of their husbands, children etc. They are happy that I take my time to give them a perfect set of nails and a very personal service. If I know they are in a hurry, sure I speed up, but I never rush them out the door.

Don't bother trying to compete with the NSS, they will have a different client base. They are unlikely to have the valuable type of clients that come every two/three weeks year in year out.

I know Trang Ngyen (hope I spelled the name correct) can do it, and is it Joseph Pham I have seen on a u-tube link too, doing pink and whites in no time.

I think you need a lot of experience to do this and I'm not sure I wanna do it every day, but I would love to be able do do Quality nails within an hour, that's my goal. I know I can eventually I just use to much product still, I just do a little to much filing still and hate when I have to:lol:

But lots of nailtechs from Russia, Asien etc. is very speedy, and they take the job very seriously so they aim for speed (and quality, not talking NSS here), I have taken a few classes with some and I am amazed at how serious they are.

OMG yes some techs as prev said prob could, but that's yrs of experience, your talking 2 min per nail inc prep finish:eek::eek:

I would be asking £40 or more per set for that type of skill. However why is it people want everything fot nothing xx

You know, I don't understand why anyone would want their nails done in 25 minutes. Do you look for a hairdresser on the basis that she/he is the fastest or the cheapest??

My clients come to me because they have a relaxing pampering time. I talk to them, I know them - the names of their husbands, children etc. They are happy that I take my time to give them a perfect set of nails and a very personal service. If I know they are in a hurry, sure I speed up, but I never rush them out the door.

Don't bother trying to compete with the NSS, they will have a different client base. They are unlikely to have the valuable type of clients that come every two/three weeks year in year out.

Yes I know you are right and it is all about keeping my clients happy, but there are a minority who are in a hurry and I would like to be able to accomadate every client if I can without scrimping on quality or service.

TIME is a resource that many of us find we don't have these days.

If I had the choice of having my nails done beautifully in 20 minutes or beautifully in 1 hour and a half .. I'd take the 20 minutes every time AND be happy to pay the same price for the service.

Liking your tech and having a cozy motherly chat is fine for some ... WHO HAVE THE TIME .... MORE PEOPLE DON'T than those who DO. Why do you think people queue up for discount nail services at these nail bars you all hate??? It's not the nails they do (although some do really nice work) IT'S TO SAVE TIME. For many it's not about saving money .. these places are charging higher prices now ... TIME is the issue.

My next door neighbour has just bought one of these salons, shes chinese. I was talking to her and she did two weeks of training from a employee. I mentioned health and safety training to her and she didnt know she needed to have it. To this day i dont believe that any of the staff are trained correctly and none of them have health and safety but thats my opinion.

Charlee

Latest posts

Back